Any Butthole Surfers fans or collectors on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cake, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Cake

Cake Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Love their version of American Woman

3. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I was just thinking that I had always played PCPPEP at 33 1/3 rpm. One day I played it at 45 rpm. I can't remember for sure, I think maybe I had seen the play speed for the first time. (I was assuming that it was an LP.)

I preferred it at 33 1/3 rpm.

Drewbie likes this.
  4. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

I'm going to have the following translated into Greek and then emblazoned on my family's escutcheon:

I rather be a matchstick than a lighter
    I like to see the wood curl up and burn
    If you wanna touch the sky
    You must be prepared to die
    And I hate cough syrup, don`t you?

5. Cake

Man, I am just hoping that the Buttholes put out another rarities album like Humpty Dumpty LSD.

Yeahh!

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I saw them in Athens around this time, and had to leave, because the videos they were projecting were just too much.

7. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Forum Resident

I saw Gibby get stabbed onstage by a wacked out fan in Vancouver (1987 ?)

Cake likes this.
  8. Cake

I saw a clip of the aftermath of that on MTV when they did a short profile on them back in the day (during the Locust Abortion Technician LP tour). Still have it on VHS somewhere!

I just listened to A Brown Reason To Live EP, PCP EP, Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac & the Cream Corn From The Socket Of Davis EP and still dig their early stuff more than ever! WooHoo!

9. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Yeah, those were some interesting films they showed. One looked like it was some sort of sexual reassignment surgery or something else. Honestly, I tried not to pay attention to them so much. I know folks that were at UGA at the time who saw the show you were probably at. I most likely skipped it because I was still under age at the time, and had more trouble trying to get into the Athens clubs than the Atlanta ones.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yep, that was it.

11. jack static

jack static Forum Resident

I play in a Butthole Surfers cover band (with absolutely none of the associated theatrics, unfortunately) and am listening to a pretty solid set we played at a party last month:

GRAVEYARD
    DUM DUM
    MEXICAN CARAVAN
    COWBOY BOB
    GARY FLOYD
    BAR-B-QUE POPE
    NEGRO OBSERVER
    I HATE MY JOB
    CREEP IN THE CELLAR
    HUMAN CANNONBALL
    PITTSBURG TO LEBANON
    FAST
    BUTTHOLE SURFER
    CHERUB
    LADY SNIFF
    SHAH SLEEPS IN LEE HARVEY'S GRAVE

As you can see, this was a pretty "Psychic...Powerless"/80s heavy set, but we do about 15 others that we'll rotate in. We also stole the "Lady Sniff > Pepper" gag from their last tour!

It seems unlikely that they'll release anything further...how long ago did Paul make those encouraging statements about a new album that have now haunted him for years...

Cake likes this.
  12. Cake

Great to hear about your cover band!
    I feel something will be coming up soon. The Buttholes should remaster and reissue both A Texas Trip (comp from the late 1980s that featured the Buttholes, Daniel Johnston and Stickmen With Rayguns) and their infamous Double Live limited live LP!

13. jack static

jack static Forum Resident

The fact that they can't even keep T-shirts for sale is alarming...do they even have a label at this point or is it all Latino Buggerveil? You'd think with the 4 solid years of touring (2008-2011) they'd have at least taken a stab at some new material, but it doesn't seem like that was the case.

14. paranoid android85

paranoid android85 Forum Resident

I met gibby at a flaming lips concert, he was pretty cool. I wish i could've caught the surfers back in the hayday. I read the book "our band could be your life" and their shows seemed legendary

15. Cake

Yeah, that is pretty strange, I must say. They have no merch on their website for sale. The remastered cds from 1999 are still on Latino Buggerveil Records. I just wish they had better distribution, ya know?

16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Don't get your hopes up. I doubt anything will be forthcoming from them.

17. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Living in Houston, I've heard tons of stories. I did meet Gibby at the infamous Primus/Public Enemy/Anthrax show back in 1991. It was great seeing the original lineup back in 1998 or so in Austin @ Stubbs. I found their 90s output boring, but love the early stuff!

18. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I picked up a "Hairway To Steven" CD this morning at a yard sale. Not sure what I'm in for ...

--Geoff

Cake likes this.
  19. ickyspat

ickyspat Well-Known Member

Geoff...you're in for a hell of a ride..I LOVE this album...my favorite of theres. You have to give Jimi a few listens to be able to memorize it all, then you'll really did it..trust me.

20. ickyspat

ickyspat Well-Known Member

Dig it, I meant to say..lol.

21. Cake

Yeah, Geoff! There are no song titles (just scatological drawings) on the disc itself for Hairway To Steven, but here are the titles:

Jimi
    Ricky
    I Saw An X-Ray Of A Girl Passing Gas
    John E. Smoke
    Rocky
    Julio Iglesias
    Backass
    The Fast Song

Enjoy the album and blast it!

22. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

BHS used to be all I'd listen to. Me and my friends would drop acid out in the woods and blast the hell out of their tapes. Their early output was so musically varied, they never got old. Saw them a handful of times, tripping unelagantly; those were skull-peelers. I had/have a moving box full of vhs video recordings of their shows through the years and probably 50-75 audio recordings of live shows going back to '81. Met King at a party in Austin in '95 and asked him if the band was still together. He said they were recording new material and the next year they landed on mainstream top 40 radio.

I guess the stories I have related to the Buttholes are of a personal nature of 'things that they said that I saw' while they were coming through the speakers.

I'd be great to hear something new from them but I'm sure I'd be disappointed considering what they've produced in the last 20 years.

23. Cake

Great post, brother! My friends and I out here in the San Fernando Valley would follow the Buttholes to San Francisco to Phoenix to Mexico to see them back between 1987 and 1989. They were like gods to us. I swear to the gods that created us that I believe this. I got to see the band play live 34 times in my lifetime and have enjoyed each and every show!

That's amazing that you have so much audio and video! You should PM me. I have over one hundred hours of live Buttholes on cassette alone and lots of rare video. Glad to meet a fellow ol Butthead!! :)

I don't believe that they will ever record another album, but I do believe that they will put out a series of albums with their unreleased and recorded tracks. King showed me the list once and it was up to over 200 songs, I think. Unreleased! Man!

Greenalishi and eyeCalypso like this.
  24. eyeCalypso

Yessiree :wave: Good to see you as well. We're a rare breed in the audiophile forums. Wow Cake, you've gotten enough sensory overload for a lifetime! And I'll bet you're ready for more. Mexico would have been scary for sure. I would have loved to follow them around like that during that time in history. I'm envious of what you must have experienced.

Another volume of HDLSD or a box set like you suggest would be killer. Here's hopping King and the rest can make it happen.

In the snail mail days I traded tapes with people from all over the world, Europe, Asia, Austrailia, US, ect, but I'm no good for that anymore because I've stopped well over a decade ago and my collection has been thoroughly scavenged. I do have a lot left (big box full) and since the late 90's and up to a couple years ago I've sent stuff to James B from NY "official live discographer" who's put the rare stuff I still have into circulation. If you're in the trading circles, I imagine you have access to what I have.

Perhaps the inertia isn't there anymore, but everytime they've reformed since 2002 they've been threatening to record and release new "noisy" music. A shame it hasn't happened, but at least they gave us a few tours of noise in the last five years.

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  25. eyeCalypso

p.s. Cake: I may have heard of you, were you responsible for the original "The Hole Truth . . ." cd?