SH Spotlight 45 RPM mastering "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section", one of THE greatest albums of all time.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

This was among the first Jazz cd's I ever heard, back in about 1995. It immediately struck me, with it's clarity and crisp sound. I still play it regularly, and my ears always perk up when it begins to play.

2. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Kinda figured that this thing wouldn't be cheap now. Didn't Steve mention that later Japan pressings were clones of the JVC?

3. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

I ordered one from Amazon yesterday. Found it listed under "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section by Art Pepper (1986) - Import." It does look like one of the listings under this heading is for the wrong CD.

4. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Found one (Hopefully).

5. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

My 1986 Japanese CD # VDJ-1556 arrived and it really sounds fantastic. Thanks to Steve and others in the thread for turning me on to this version. I'm on a bit of a Contemporary kick and have been playing some other great music as recorded in the mail room. Revisted the OJC three-CD series of Hampton Hawes "All Night Session!" (also recommended by Steve a while back). Great sound! And some original vinyl too - Barney Kessel, Andre Previn, etc... I also have a pile of Good Time Jazz records of Bunk Johnson, Kid Ory, Firehouse Five, etc. that I'll be spinning soon.

http://www.soundfountain.com/contemporary/contemporary.html

Here's a nice page dedicated to Contemporary Records. :righton:

JRM likes this.
  6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

That disc is a classic ,but Modern Art is also great I am talking music not Sonics VDCJ 60311
    sounds great

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Steve asks:

Is "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" one of THE greatest jazz albums of all time?

I'd have to say, no, not in my opinion. Try as I might over the years I'm just not a big fan of Art Pepper. I like his earliest work the best, when he was most influenced by Lester Young. After the first half of the 'fifties, I just don't care to listen to him that much.

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

So, after a decade

Which one is the best CD version? (not nearly impossible to find)

:wave:

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As discussed throughout this and other threads, the original 1985 Japanese CD with catalog number VDJ-1556 is excellent. It is long out of print, but it is not impossible to find. Otherwise, I would get the original U.S. Original Jazz Masterpieces (OJC) CD. The OJC CD is easier to find and cheaper than the Japanese VDJ CD.

Prophetzong and ponkine like this.
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Thanks! :)

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Try and avoid the OJC CD. One of my least favorites. Too mellow, too much reverb. There is a boot (or reissue) of the JVC out there on Amazon, gotta be better than the OJC.

JRM and ponkine like this.
  12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Oh thanks!

I'll follow your advice :wave:

13. Evan

Evan Senior Member

The MFSL silver "Way Out West" CD sounds best IMHO, less as you said, brittle, but you need the JVC for the two alternate takes of Way Out West and I'm An Old Cowhand. I use my tone controls to adjust the sound on the JVC so the sax sounds closer to the MFSL CD.

14. Steve Hoffman

Just so we understand. The SONNY ROLLINS "brittle" I'm talking about is what is on the master tape, the JVC just transferred it "as is", the MoFi silver (which is rare as hell) did a little needed mastering.

Remember, Roy added a slight 10k boost to all Contemporary recordings in the studio to be reduced in lacquer cutting (primitive noise reduction) and if the modern mastering doesn't do that reverse EQ as well, the stuff sounds too sharp.

kt66brooklyn and MLutthans like this.
  15. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

That primitive noise reduction may be the best "noise reduction system" there is...does least harm to the sound/music ;)

16. Steve Hoffman

The Ampex 350-2 is OK with this, as long as it is slight (being the key word). The machine could not handle any overmod and would saturate and splatter (not in a good way) if pushed too hard above 0 VU with too much treble. The old AME EQ pretty much killed the sound which is why Contemporary and other logical labels never used it and stuck with good old NAB.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  17. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Also, the JVC is titled "Way Out West Plus". The cover is an alternate picture of Sonny in the desert with his hat off. Kind of cool. Catalog number VDJ-1551. And, as Steve said, a dry, flat transfer of the master-tape. May be easier to find than the MFSL CD.

18. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Sorry to necro this thread, but I've been keeping an eye out in the bins for a copy of this CD, and came across an Original Jazz Classics reissue from 2010, mastered by Joe Tarantino at Fantasy, and WITH the little bit of reverb/echo for $5.95. I figured, "why not?.

I must say I NEVER would have picked this up and would have passed it over as old fashioned with Art Pepper on it, and without knowing who the "rhythm section" was. The fact is that it's a fabulous date, and a GREAT recording. Definitely will be one of my fav jazz CD's. If the sound of this CD can be improved upon by a different digital reissue, I need to find it. I imagine this is why the JVC/etc. versions are so pricey. :cry:

19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Sort of amazed to see a run of the mill 60s pressing (yellow label with CR logo) go for $50 on Ebay.

20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

As much as I like MEETS THE RHYTHM SECTION, and it is an all-time classic in my view, the material originally issued on Omegatape - ART OF PEPPER - is my favorite Pepper for musical content - he never sounded less uptight, more in command and flowing. For early Pepper, can't be topped. MODERN ART is also extremely fine, musically.

These don't have the wonderful sound quality of his recordings for Contemporary, though.

JRM likes this.
  21. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Return of is also great

22. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Hi Guys,

So in addition to my original NM UK mono Contemporary Vogue and my OJC CD, I recently picked up the JVC CD and a NM 70's / 80's US Contemporary stereo vinyl. Interesting to compare them.

- original UK mono Contemporary Vogue - this definitely had that old school, vintage sound. Not perfectly balanced, but raw and gutsy. Art's horn perhaps sounds the most natural on this. The bass is pretty strong on this as well. Each note left an impression in the air. Fun stuff.

- 70's / 80's US Contemporary stereo vinyl - this had noticeably more clarity and a wider soundstage than the original mono. Vinyl is much thinner as to be expected. Really clean sounding and very, very enjoyable. A bit brighter than the mono, but that's more than made up for with the soundstage. This sounds better than one would expect from a reissue. Tough to say which vinyl is better as they are so different.

- JVC 1980's CD - very similar to the above mentioned stereo LP. Just a hair brighter and more compact sounding.

- OJC 2010 CD - the most reverb out of any of these which you really get on the drums. The drums seem "taller" in sound, but not naturally so. Sound is much more compact as well. I may give this away to a friend as I'm not sure I'll really listen to it with my other copies.

As I mentioned before, I am with Steve in that this is one of the greatest Jazz albums out there. The sound is just so easy and flowing. The group was locked in from note one. Don't we wish all sessions could be like this! And cheers to Roy DuNann for turning a mailroom into a sonic delight!

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is a great album musically and sonically, and I have the 1988 OJC CD which sounds fine to me for now, as this is my first copy. Thanks SH.tv for turning me on to this album.

24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Found what appears to be the original Japanese CD for $18.99 on Amazon...

[​IMG]

25. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Looks like it, if the picture and text are accurate. I have that disc, I highly recommend you don't hesitate.

JRM likes this.