Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, May 7, 2013.

1. Stewart Meat

Stewart Meat Active Member

Neither is present.
    My copy appears to be the second issue from 1966.
    V6-5005-2 Stereo

2. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Thanks, no problem, I wanted to ask because I'm considering geting the reissue since I could use a cleaner copy

3. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

Are there other FZ titles scheduled to be released on 180g vinyl in a near future?

4. moody grooves

moody grooves Member

How's freak out? can't believe no-one's talking about these releases!!

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Gail has said there will be more vinyl but no specifics yet.

6. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

richy2times and moody grooves like this.
  7. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Played overnite sensation, absolutely wonderful, a home run, I bought this for 11£, if this was reissued by mfsl or AP it would probably cost 30$, don't miss out!

8. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I played side one of Freak Out a couple of days ago and my ears are still bleeding from the brightness. Has anyone else tried it yet? What's the CD like? I'd love to hear other opinions. Maybe my ears were just feeling tender that day - I'll try another side when I can summon the courage.

The bass was heavily goosed, too, but that may be no bad thing.

9. sgb

sgb Senior Member

My copy of FO arrived Thursday, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I do hope it is not bright as you reported here, b2v.

10. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

From memory, that could be a description of the Zappa Records vinyl reissue I bought in 1991.

11. moody grooves

moody grooves Member

12. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Mono was the way to go with the first Mothers album, but record companies don't seem to get it unless they're Sundazed.

metallicramen, Leonthepro and Hamhead like this.
  13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I've never even seen a mono copy of Freak Out! much less heard one.

I'm not finding any thing on a new Overnite Sensation that is mentioned here.

14. stem

stem Forum Resident

I was only able to listen to a couple of tracks recently (it wasn't my copy), but I totally agree. It sounded awesome - needed a bit of volume to reveal itself fully.

Doctorwu likes this.
  15. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand - if the tape was that badly deteriorated, from what source did they master the MOFO CD? And why couldn't they have mastered the LP from that?

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Same 1987 digital transfer.

18. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. Excellent sound, packaging, and pressing.

I just got this today along with Overnight. The pressing is dead silent and the packaging is excellent. My vinyl is perfectly flat too.

The sound. I don't think the sound is quite as good as Overnight's however it is still very good imho. Maybe just a tad flat sonically but I do not have any other versions of this on vinyl to compare it with. Overall I think it is quite good and definitely worth picking up.

I would not hesitate to recommend either release.

Doctorwu likes this.
  19. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I listened to most of side 2 today (Freak Out) and still think it's scarily bright. My guess is that this was a bright recording to start with - it has a very tinny, jangly sound and I think this mastering has attempted to relieve that somewhat by giving the bass a boost, which it probably needs. But yikes, the top end - whatever the opposite of crankable is, this is it. I've often found Chris Bellman's masterings have a bit too much top end to suit my personal preference and in this case it's a lethal combination. Others may like it, though, and that's fine.

It's beautifully pressed and packaged.

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I am ecstatic. I expected less, and, based on back2vinyl's report I expected "bright." In comparing it with my 1966 original it isn't the least bit bright. In comparison to nothing I don't find it bright either.

I would expect Over-nite to sound a bit better, given the age of Freak Out.

21. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Did not sound bright to me either however many times I think this is system dependent. I also am not overly sensitive to bright material .. in fact I oftentimes like a little top end sparkle in my system.

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I have one. It's trashed. Lots of rice krispies, but the punchiness of the mix comes through.

Finding one in good condition is really hard, though.

23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Old Masters = 1991 Zappa Records = MOFO disc 1 = 2013 reissue? Anybody know for sure?

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Unless Joe Travers was wrong about the year when FZ did the digital transfer, the Old Masters version can't be the same since it came out in 1985.

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just played the new Freak Out vinyl cut. Sounded nice, but I too would say it may be a touch bright in the high end....Although not an ear bleeder as was mentioned earlier.

Liner notes do indicate it is the original stereo mix from 1966 cut from the FZ/Bob Stone digital transfer of original analog tape master, UMRK, 1987.