SH Spotlight We love LOVE! "Forever Changes" Elektra 1967 recording sessions and dates, studios, stories, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks, I played a bit. Fold down, yes. Probably not every song though, Clark & Hilldale and Alone Again Or, yes, def.

Tuco likes this.
  2. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I didn't discover this until around '86, and it was a kid young enuf to be my son who could not believe I'd never heard of FC or Love.

3. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

image.jpg

Guess I'm a sucker for this album since I picked up a 3rd copy today. Anyone know the approximate date of this release with the black/red label? I'm guessing mid 80's?

4. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

Good guess! That re-release of Forever Changes was from 1982.

wcarroll likes this.
  5. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

They're locking them up today
    They're throwing away the key
    I wonder who it'll be tomorrow, you or me?

That one was equally as chilling.

I wish somebody would issue that alternate mix on LP.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  6. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Steve, was the mono mix discussed at all during the negotiations for the 2008 Collector's Edition double-CD?

7. Steve Hoffman

I was not involved in any discussion, sorry.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was floored when I first heard the album on FM radio! they played the full album the day it was released! been a fan since day one...perfection to say the least! the live version done years later was also killer! great job all around...love Forever Changes DVD! and of course the 2 CD set Steve mastered. a WOW! album forevermore.

zobalob likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it would have been nice to have the Mono album instead of the fold-down we are stuck with on vinyl! I'm sure Steve would have found it if the tapes existed!

10. Steve Hoffman

Pretty sure they went the way of most Elektra mono stuff..

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I would doubt it's a better mix riight?

12. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

This album remains as one of my favorites. I listened to it straight for 6 months, and can still pick it up and enjoy it. It has some of the most haunting lyrics. Not to be a debbie downer but when I heard the news about the Sandy Hook School Shootings I was finishing 'the Red Telephone' by pure chance - 'All of God's children gotta have there freedoms' 'freedom', being a teacher I found those coincidental lyrics to be the most painful I had heard in a looong time.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  13. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

I didn't connect with this record when I first heard it (inspired to check it out, like others above, by Dave Marsh's review in the Rolling Stone Record Guide), but one day about four years later it suddenly clicked. I couldn't listen to anything else for months.

And this may be a longshot, but does anyone else hear a distinct similarity between "You Set The Scene" and "Something to Sing About" from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical?

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Funny how so many of us failed to 'get' the album for years and then suddenly it connected with us in a big way. I've been obsessed with that album for the past year or so!

15. Steve Hoffman

Part of the problem was (at least for me, back in the day) was the indifferent mixing of the stereo FOREVER CHANGES album. To call it a weak mix is an understatement. And the Elektra mastering from that era (that everyone seems to love now but I cannot stand) was so dreadful that it made everything, LOVE, DOORS, etc. sound bland and uninvolving especially on our mid and low fi gear of the day.

vonwegen likes this.
  16. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

The Elektra LPs of that time always had a "smoothed out" type of sonic signature to me and lacked a little top and low end, and Forever Changes was no exception.

The original Alone Again Or 45 was no sonic marvel either . . . a great song but the stereo single version was CSG-processed for AM airplay so the stereo sounds a bit unfocused and hollow in the middle. Speaking of AM airplay, Alone Again Or got a lot of it in the Los Angeles area, reaching the Top 10 on KHJ, but it "stiffed" nationally only managing to bubble under on Billboard's Hot 100.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. Steve Hoffman

The Elektra LPs of that time always had a "smoothed out" type of sonic signature to me and lacked a little top and low end, and Forever Changes was no exception.

That is it exactly. Loved the music, didn't like the sound. When I heard a "open reel" consumer tape (7 1/2 ips) of the first Doors album on a school friend's dad's system I almost peed in my pants it sounded so good. I heard deep bass, I heard lifelike sound! I haven't played my Elektra LP since and that was 1969.

rxcory, kozy814 and I Love Music like this.
  18. old school

old school Senior Member

I bought the album in 68 because of the cover art not knowing it would turn out to be one of my alltime favorites still have the original vinyl.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  19. I read that the multis are missing. were they stolen lost or recorded over. would be nice to have a remix of changes

20. Steve Hoffman

You bought the album because of the cover art? I didn't buy it because of the cover art. I thought it was dreadful back then.

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I bought a lot of LPs unheard when I was starting out. When I was a kid, record stores had stopped having listening booths. Sometimes, the cover art was the only thing to go by, if the local radio didn't play it.

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Sorry Steve, I don't have any inside info on this album, just my own memories of it from 1967 and the many other times it has crossed my path in strange ways since then.

23. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

It is one of my all-time faves too, along with that month's Buffalo Springfield Again, but for some reason my wife hates Forever Changes every time I put it on, what a bummer in the summer that is... :shake:

24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

I've got a copy like this somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's mono.

william r small likes this.
  25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Love were hugely popular in Los Angeles but had little success on a national level, due in no small part to their reluctance to tour.

I doubt the multis are missing... there are plenty of session excerpts on the Deluxe Edition that almost certainly were mixed for that release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.