technically speaking, what is 'fake' stereo? (Duophonic, Electronically Re-processed, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveman, Dec 21, 2003.

1. IHeartThe80s

IHeartThe80s Forum Resident

We all know Capitol's Duophonic process ruined a lot of innocent mono records by the Beach Boys and others. But what exactly did the process consist of; how was it achieved? It always sounded to me like the mono signal was filtered and split to either stereo channel, with low and high end on one side and midrange on the other. And then there was some sort of reverb added in the middle.

In other cases I've heard fake stereo that sounds like it was created acoustically, via a monitor and stereo mics in an echo chamber. Was this ever actually done? (Do I remember some story of an engineer attempting the same effect using a concrete stairwell as a chamber?)

I have a More Chuck Berry Chess reissue (70s) that has some of the most shrill and unlistenable fake stereo ever (think White Light/White Heat).

And then there was our recent discussion here of the flanged fake stereo Psychotic Reaction by Count Five, achieved by playing two mono copies in either channel, slightly out of sync. And then there are the risible attempts to create stereo by turning the pan pot left and right, moving the mono signal briefly into either channel. (This is actually done on the UA Hard Day's Night LP, I think on I Should Have Known Better: lead vocal in one channel, answering vocals in the other.)

Anyone know how these awful effects were achieved?

Platterpus and Gordon Johnson like this.
  2. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

This is supposedly the basic Duophonic process as I read in an old magazine. It was a three step process, if the article was accurate.

1. Play mono tape, and split the output to two channels. Time delay one channel slightly.
    2. Run each channel thru a comb filter, one that emphasizes even harmonics for one channel, the other channel through one that emphasizes odd harmonics. This is the part that confuses the ear, as it sounds like a bass/treble cut/boost. It's also why, time delay issues aside, you can't sum a Duophonic track to mono and get a reasonable tonal balance. It's been too royally screwed up by the comb filtering.
    3. Add a dollop (or a ton) of stereo reverb to the mix and print to tape, creating your new "Duophonic master."

I discussed this on one other forum once and a respondent claimed you couldn't use comb filters "like that." Maybe they were right, I don't know. I'm just reporting what the article stated. (I wish I could find that article again...dang it!)

3. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

I am interested in knowing this as well. I thought it was simply a matter of turning up the bass on one side and the treble on the other, but the processes described above sound much more maniacal.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There were all different types of ways of doing it. All bad. Why waste a minute on it?

5. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have some German 70s re-issues of early Elvis LPs - it's beyond unlistenable

As a young teenager I created my own 'fake stereo' using a stereo 16 band graphic - just for fun but made a damn sight better job of it than most of the released stuff...

ShallowMemory likes this.
  6. MasterGlove

MasterGlove Active Member

I sort of came up with one while fooling around with audio editors. My goal was to achieve a similar effect to the one Black Sabbath used on Ozzy's vocals on "Behind the Wall of Sleep" (from their selftitled debut album).
    I took a guitar track, vocal track or whatever and brickwall it by applying hard limiting. Then filter out the signals that exceeded 0 dB.
    Then, place the compressed audio in one channel and in the signals that were cut off on the other channel.

It sounds funny.

lrpm and Led9 like this.
  7. JP Christian

I've got a Shangri-Las compilation that does the same thing - it's actually not a bad pressing but would have sounded much better in Mono - here in the UK there was this obsession to make everything stereo from the late 60s through to the late 70s - with some shocking results!

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. JP Christian

that should read 'make every mono recording stereo'

9. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I'm interested in how Columbia/Epic did it. I recently heard a Sly & The Family Stone original "Greatest Hits" on Epic. It has some fake-stereo songs on it, which were originally mono singles. What is interesting, though: they fold down perfectly to mono – no artifacts, no delay, no cancelling, the frequency spectrum is all there and it sounds great & full-bodied, actually. Now, I guess this was on purpose, right? Also, can this be said about all "Electronically Re-Channeled" records on Columbia?

10. ElwoodPDowd

ElwoodPDowd Well-Known Member

When Not Now released The Beach Boys first LP because it had slipped into public domain, they released it in a "deluxe" Mono/Stereo double LP. I wonder if they did their own duophonic for it? I don't know why i want to know...

Serge Gainsbourg's Initials BB (red label canada) is fake stereo. I learned the hard way. It had a horrid reverb in one of it's channels. I found however if I put the other channel through both speakers it became listenable mono.

11. Steve Hoffman

It can not. All different, all dreadful.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

All rechanneled records should be immediately removed from any reasonable record collection...

Sneaky Pete and the dark knight like this.
  13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Really, they should all be destroyed.

14. Steve Hoffman

Do you guys know that STILL, all these years later, fake stereo versions of mono albums are still being pulled by record companies for licensing? The magic word "STEREO".

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'm aware of this and this is awful. The record companies still put out fake stereo on CD as well due to the tape box labeling.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Some companies (and movie productions) REQUEST fake stereo when possible. God knows why and he ain't telling.

17. BradOlson

In fact, most people don't really care if something is true stereo, fake stereo or mono as long as they have a copy of the music, movie or whatsoever.

18. Steve Hoffman

Fake stereo is actually how I got into mastering. I was working on catalog compilations (on paper) and the stuff would be released, I'd hear it for the first time when shipped. I did this one BING CROSBY compilation and it had two songs on it from 1937, both recorded on the same day, same studio. When I heard the album I'd compiled for the first time, the first song sounded OK, a nice, dry transfer of the metal part. The second song, same session was drenched in fake reverb and was in rechanneled stereo.

That was the straw that broke my back, I marched over there and told them (making many enemies along the way) that it was impossible, same day, one with echo, one, no echo, blah, blah. The guy in charge told me, "Buddy, we just use what they give us to use".

I paid more attention after that to sources. Makes a big difference.

goodiesguy, LitHum05, rxcory and 10 others like this.
  19. BradOlson

I know.

20. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

Fake Stereo = :(

the dark knight likes this.
  21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The Shizziling drits were the cheapo labels(Coronet, Crown etc), but they were not alone, When I finally replaced my copy of the Coasters(Atco 33-101) dear Lord I could only listen to one channel. Both at once made me ill.

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Those MCA Jazz Heritage Series albums from around 1980 could have been amazing if they had taken some care with the source material. Some of them sound half-decent (I know that you did a few of them, Steve) but lots of them were cut from 1960s fake stereo tapes, most of which are drenched in reverb. Unlistenable!

McLover likes this.
  23. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

I like that story.
    Did you like Bing back then? How old were you?

24. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Isn't that a song by Olivia Newton John:shh:

25. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Nope. I think Dave Clark Five Greatest Hits was "Electronically Re-Channeled" and it's one of the worst things I've ever heard.

quadjoe likes this.