SH Spotlight "Wanna Buy A Record?" movie with Mel Blanc at Capitol Studios, how records are recorded & pressed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Matt, if you care, Oklahoma Todd-AO stereo mix for LP release in the late 50s was mixed by Fred Hynes, God of the Westrex/Todd-AO system. He also mixed SOUTH PACIFIC for RCA-Victor and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS for Decca in stereo.

VELVET BRASS was recorded in NYC Capitol Studio, April, 1957, if I remember correctly.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There was. (I wasn't denying its existence, just that it would have been released in '57.) You can find some on eBay, including this one with the original shrinkwrap still attached:

Waing-Caroling-Season-1.JPG Waing-Caroling-Season-2.JPG

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Currently geeking out on those vids. Thanks to Capitol for posting those vids and thanks for all the links, Bob!

You do. April 8-10, 1957.

McLover and Bob F like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

I should remember, it's my favorite Capitol Instrumental album.

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

With that style of stereo banner on the cover, this wasn't released as part of the first or second batch of stereo LPs from Capitol.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Brain fart alert! It's a Richard Hayman album, not David Carroll.

Ah.....thanks for the info. John Palladino told me that (to his knowledge) the mono and stereo mixes were provided by Todd-AO, with basically no involvement by Capitol, so that all makes sense, and boy.....Mr. Hynes did a great job! Those LPs were cornerstones of my "hi-fi education" as a kid, especially Oklahoma, which my parents had on an original red-label mono LP, and a rainbow label stereo LP. I played that stereo album until I was blue in the face, and it's one that I remember laying the two speakers facing each other, and laying between the speakers and just taking it all in. Still one of my favorite "wow" sound experiences from my childhood. (By the way, if you want the Oklahoma soundtrack, I highly recommend finding the original Capitol CD from the late 80s, mastered in a pretty "hands off" style by Larry Walsh. The later Angel CD is the poster child for "remixes gone wrong," IMO.

Beech and Steve Hoffman like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Matt, Fred Hynes of Todd-AO mixed everything, every Todd-AO movie, every soundtrack. He had an amazing touch. In fact, when Jeff Joseph and I were butting in to Todd-AO's business, trying to get our version of AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS soundtrack done, out of desperation, trumpet player Cappy Lewis' daughter, Sharon (who worked at Todd-AO in '89) called old Fred Hynes up and he came down to the studio and we had an hour long chat. I wish I had taped it because the guy INVENTED six track recording. He was an amazing guy and like most engineers that we both know and love, totally modest.

Ah, well, he's gone now, but the music lives on..

McLover, SandAndGlass and MMM like this.
  8. MLutthans

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  9. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

A fascinating look back at Capitol and music history! Amazing how much care went into creating records. Thanks, Steve and everyone for posting them.

Wish L.A. still looked like that first video.

10. MLutthans

From another thread:
    So Black Satin started one day before "Love is the Thing" and ended eight days earlier. (Love is the Thing was recorded Dec. 19 and 28.)

MMM likes this.
  11. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing Steve. How labour intensive the whole process used to be!

12. Steve Hoffman

The good old days.

13. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

This is great. I'd love to have a high quality photo of Mel with his head stamped like a record. I'd blow it up and put it on my wall.

Thanks

14. MLutthans

Here's the info on that Richard Hayman (not David Carroll, as errantly mentioned) album mentioned a few posts back. This comes from the original 2-track reel-to-reel box, as the original stereo LP made no mention of Capitol Records.
    Screen shot 2013-08-03 at 11.36.11 PM.jpg
    Note that the mono recording used 10 mics -- the maximum for the similar-vintage board at The Tower in Hollywood -- but that the stereo recording was apparently made direct-to-2-track, not 3-track.

15. Steve Hoffman

Wow, Frank had a great technique.

16. MLutthans

Re: "Ya Wanna Buy a Record" --
    There's also a quick shot at 31:56 that shows 1949's Bozo and the Birds album being packaged at the Scranton plant:
    Screen shot 2013-10-17 at 1.23.00 AM.png $T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjKbbBP8Mpeod9!~~60_35.JPG

Earlier in the film, at Wallich's Music City, that's Dr. Samuel Hoffman's "Music Out of the Moon" LP on the display rack between Billy May and Mel Blanc:
    Screen shot 2013-10-17 at 1.45.16 AM.png [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    DLant and Beech like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

So this is earlier than 1951???

18. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hmmmph - I thought it was this one:

19. MLutthans

Well, it's possible that they were still manufacturing copies of those albums if sales were good, or it's possible that they may have had some older factory footage that was made for some other purpose, and that footage may have been re-used here.

Hard to say.

20. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, I doubt they would just film in color for no reason. My guess is they happened to be doing some repressing on Bozo that day...

21. MLutthans

Similarly, and FWIW, the album just above that "Music Out of the Moon" 10" LP is this one, which came out in 1949:
    r4521.jpg Screen shot 2013-10-17 at 1.45.16 AM.png

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Is that a souvenir record they are handing out at 12:15? Has anyone ever seen one,or the souvenir program?

Gene Vincent at 14:09?

Who's at 15:03?

23. MLutthans

See post #66 and Nori Muster's excellent website here.

24. EasterEverywhere

I knew it was '51 from the Jimmy Wakely song.Anybody recognize faces in the control room there?

25. EasterEverywhere

I have seen a lot of copies of Music Out Of The Moon,but only once on ebay did I ever see a first pressing.It has the generic sort of fake leather cover seen on early Capitol classical LPs,except it's green.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.