Industrial Rap - Death Grips, El-P, Allflaws

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pasker, Jun 26, 2013.

1. pasker

pasker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey any people into industrial rap/hip hop?
    It seems hot right now after Kanye Wests industrial hip hop inspired release Yeezus.

Some acts Ive checked out in the past are EL-P, Dalak, Allflaws,
    Death Grips

2. pasker

3. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

If you like recent El-P stuff, make sure to go back and listen to his first project: Company Flow. It's still his best work IMO, but the Cannibal Ox album he produced is a close second.

Not sure if I would call his stuff industrial rap like Death Grips, but it's still awesome!

4. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

You might like Clipping's mixtape, Midcity.

5. cevans121

cevans121 Forum Resident

El-P's record last year was phenomenal! The work he has done with Killer Mike "Rap Music" & "Run the Jewels" has been amazing too! The guy is killing it right now

6. pasker

nice 1 - will try Cannibal Ox

7. ElwoodPDowd

ElwoodPDowd Well-Known Member

I have a passing interest in Hip Hop generally, though in terms of newer music a lot of it sounds fresher to me now than guitar music does. Really like the Dalek and El-P i've heard. Both have brought something new to the pot musically. The first Death Grips album got me, particularly the way it sampled stuff like Link Wray and Piper-era Floyd. The stuff afterwards didn't catch my ear so easily.

Tim Bucknall and GodShifter like this.
  8. pasker

This is kind of rock, indie rap. pretty cool tho

9. Static Discharge

Static Discharge Forum Resident

I've found EL-P very interesting over the years. I like his whole catalog. His early albums are great and more recently I really dig I'll Sleep When You're Dead. I thought CFC was step back from Sleep but others may feel differently.

ElwoodPDowd likes this.
  10. pasker

Yeah I'll Sleep When You're Dead is an amazing album. Hes very progressive compared to most of the hip hop world

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  11. paranoid android85

paranoid android85 Forum Resident

I'm really liking this album. Elp and death grips are amazing. Run the jewels album is pretty good. Thinking of getting the color album

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I downloaded "Run The Jewels" and like it quite a bit. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Front Line Assembly-Victim Of A Criminal 1994

14. pasker

Just found the new Allflaws video

From the new album Versus The Soul.

15. pasker

I loving front line assembly. Thanks for introducing me to these guys.

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No problem, been a fan since seeing an old video "Isolate" decades ago, been following all the side projects also, Delerium, Noise Unit, Conjure One, and Intermix, quite a diverse band :)

17. So I saw Death Grips last night and man, those guys really delivered the goods. Very noisy and aggressive, and the rapper actually had a sense of rhythm. Audience was really eating it up, lots of slamming down in front. Made me think, visually and sonically, of an unlikely collaboration between the likes of Boyd Rice and 50 Cent. I gave up on rap 20 years ago but if there's more stuff like this out there I might have to investigate it again.

18. paranoid android85

I think death grips are at the top imo. They're the only that can do hip hop rap punk industrial rock justice without seeming pretentious. Hopefully I will catch them live

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  19. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

That comparison got my attention!

*runs off to sample some Death Grips*

Tim Bucknall and Dudley Morris like this.
  20. If you can, def do so. Here's a clip from some ******* who couldn't put his cellphone down a citizen videojournalist taken at the show I saw; imagine this coming across at about 105 dB.

21. paranoid android85

Cool. I think there music though would be better appreciated in a small venue.

22. I'd agree, although they - well, the rapper - did a pretty good job of filling the space. More to the point, how they got booked for the main stage at a major festival like Bluesfest, and got slotted as kinda/sorta the opening act for Bjork, I would like to know. Maybe she insisted on them...:)

paranoid android85 likes this.
  23. paranoid android85

They're playing funfunfunfest in Austin. I'm going to try hard to catch them

24. daverw

daverw Forum Resident

It's good to see a thread like this on here. I like all of the artists mentioned here, especially Death Grips and most everything El-P has been involved with. Definitely check out Company Flow and Cannibal Ox if you haven't yet as I just went back and listened to them again, thanks to this thread, and still love 'em.

25. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I know the OP mentioned them, but the album "Absence" by Dalek is essential for any fan of industrial hip-hop.