Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (part2) Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That said, Another Self Portrait is a respectably audacious title.

2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Deluxe edition Amazon price updates:

Canada: $115.40 CDN
    Germany: 64.99
    USA: $105.44 US
    UK: £ 68.71 GBP

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Here's my first draft listing of the known studio material that seems to be omitted from this set (the Self Portrait versions of "Went To See A Gypsy" and "Time Passes Slowly" might actually be included). For the sake of readability, I've left out the Johnny Cash and George Harrison sessions, and most of the alternate takes of album tracks. Also note that many of the songs here might be fragmentary or just plain awful, so I'm not suggesting their absence necessarily reflects badly against the official product. Unlike most periods of Dylan's history, this material is mostly uncirculated so it makes it very difficult to judge the wisdom of the official release. I also included all the Self Portrait studio tracks that weren't represented with alternate versions on BS10 (without crossreferencing if they had been subjected to overdubs), as the studio sheets of the overdub sessions seem incomplete. Any corrections or additions would be appreciated.

Nashville Skyline outtakes
    Wanted Man
    Goin' To Chicago

Self Portrait outtakes:
    Running
    Ring of Fire
    Folsom Prison Blues
    Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
    Universal Soldier
    When a Fellow’s Out of a Job
    Come a Little Bit Closer
    Come All You Fair and Tender Ladies
    My Previous Life
    Went To See The Gypsy
    Time Passes Slowly

Self Portrait undubbed versions
    Living The Blues
    Take Me As I Am
    Blue Moon
    I Forgot More Than You’ll Ever Know
    Early Morning Rain
    The Boxer
    Gotta Travel On
    It Hurts Me Too
    Alberta (Another Self Portrait seems to include an alternate take of this song)
    Woogie Boogie

New Morning/ Dylan outtakes
    Alligator Man
    Oh Lonesome Me
    Spanish Is The Loving Tongue
    Jamaica Farewell
    Long Black Veil
    I Forgot To Remember To Forget
    Ahoooah
    Tomorrow Is A Long Time
    Blowin’ in The Wind

’71 single session:
    George Jackson

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

These outtakes are uncirculated so it's hard to say anything about them. The tiny amount (excepting the Johnny Cash session) of circulating unreleased NS material suggests its all in his "country crooner" voice.

swedgin likes this.
  5. slane

slane Forum Resident

I may be wrong, but it's always been my understanding that the 1969 Nashville sessions for 'Self Portrait' were recorded with the whole of the Nashville crew there on the sessions, playing live with Dylan. Maybe a few overdubs to fix and sweeten (like those for NS), but pretty much recorded all together. So I'm not sure if there would actually be any revelatory 'undubbed' versions, maybe only alternate versions.

Unlike the 1970 New York sessions, that were recorded more sparsely, then overdubbed in Nashville, IIRC.

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I think you're largely right. Though all four of those songs did seem to get some light overdubs (the backing vocals seem to be a give-away), the fuller nature of the recording ensemble seem to make potential "pre-overdub" recordings far less intriguing for this earliest set of recordings (slightly alternate versions of these early SP songs circulate, but they're not radically different). It seems clear that it's the Dylan/Bromberg/Cooper recordings from 1970 that are the heart of this set.

slane likes this.
  7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I overlooked a session that I've long been very curious about. The Mar 16-18, 1971 Blue Rock Studios sessions that produced "Watching The River Flow" and "When I Paint My Masterpiece" also reportedly resulted in some terrific covers, including a version of "That Lucky Ol' Sun" that is supposedly sublime.

'71 "Watching The River Flow" session:

Spanish Harlem
    That Lucky Ol' Sun
    Alabama Bound
    Blood Red River
    Rock of Ages

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. torrey wikins

torrey wikins Forum Resident

Preordered the vinyl from Amazon. Disappointed there was no option for the IOW with this package. Just another way of trying to get folks to buy multiple formats.

aoxomoxoa and hodgo like this.
  9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Assuming it is as described, "That Lucky Old Sun" would be wonderful to hear. I think Dylan's '85/'86 performances of it were excellent.

DmitriKaramazov and DeeThomaz like this.
  10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

"Assuming it is as described" is the big question. The covers aren't even on the studio sheets (which is why I assume Krogsgaard skipped them altogether, but he includes the note: Listing is incomplete as only reel 2 of at least three reels has been listened through.) and I think the only direct reporting on them came from Spitz's biography (which I haven't read, only seen second hand reports on). Heylin seems confident they exist, though.

11. RayS

Wouldn't trust the Spitz book as far as I could throw it. In fact I DID throw it, which is why I don't have it around to look at anymore.

Henryflowr, rstamberg and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I also missed the incomplete "Little Moses" among the Self Portrait outtakes. I think I'll add information on incomplete takes on my second draft.

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It's exactly that reputation that's kept me from ever bothering to purchase a copy, let alone read it. But now I really wish I had a copy to evaluate what he wrote on this session.

14. RayS

Spitz did a Beatles book loaded with errors and his Dylan book was in the same vane. I don't believe that he did ANY primary research in terms of access to studio tapes or session logs. I believe everything in his book in that regard was derived from other sources (or compiled on his behalf by someone who knew a heck of a lot more than he did).

Apparently Spitz did not actually attend the two 1987 concerts he wrote about to open and close the book. So apparently historical fiction is his chosen genre.

15. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

16. RayS

So in 3 days in May of 1970 he records 37 tracks. Cutting out a few for duplication (3 "Alberta"s and 2 "Time Passes Slowly"s) and a few for likely being fragments or breakdowns that were not revisited, we basically have Bob doing what The Beatles did with the "Please Please Me" album (10 fresh cuts in one session) except for 3 days in a row. No wonder some of the performances sound a bit rushed, and the band behind him sounds like they are "jaywalking" (which I believe was how Paul Cable put it) some of the time.

17. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Spot on. Still seems with the 35 tracks we're getting that they're leaving some of the good stuff off. Maybe there will be another career spanning set like the first set. This time it can be six discs. :)

18. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

I'm lukewarm on Self-Portrait, but this may be interesting to hear. I'm glad they've included the version of "Sign on the Window" with strings, because I think it sounds better than the album version.

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Has it been established if there are any outtakes from the April/May '69 sessions? It doesn't look like it, which would be a shame if we're getting outtakes from the two lots of sessions either side (February '69 and March '70).

21. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The definitive version of "That Lucky Old Sun" has to be from the late Columbia period of Sinatra. Truly heartbreaking.... Would love to hear the rumored Dylan version.

22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Wow, glad I pre-ordered when I did. Up $30 at amazon.ca from a few days ago.

23. Haven't heard that one, but the one Ray Charles did ain't too bad either...

hodgo and fallbreaks like this.
  24. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the cover illustration is based in part on a photograph of an old-time folk musician, but I haven't been able to figure out which one yet. Like 1920s or 30s. I'm quite sure I've seen it in my studies - the face is very familiar - but I can't place it. Yet.

25. slane

slane Forum Resident

On the new BS, 'Spanish Is The Loving Tongue' is from those sessions. It's an alternate take of the track that was first issued on the 'Dylan' LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.