Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (part2) Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

"Spanish Is The Loving Tongue" (the B-side version) also appeared on that Pure Dylan compilation from 2011. Nice!

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The Basement "Minstrel Boy" is there because it foreshadows the live version that appeared on Self Portrait. It's out of place chronologically, but it fits thematically.
    No real reason to expect otherwise; there haven't been too many complaints about the sound of the Bootleg Series releases.

3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Also on "The Essential Bob Dylan" (Limited Tour Edition).

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  4. Sean Murdock

Thanks, you just cost me 20 bucks! :shake:

(The good news is, "Trouble In Mind" is also on that comp -- first time on CD -- and "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue" is in stereo. (It's in mono on Masterpieces.) Based on the samples alone, the CD is clearly remastered (and in line with the recent mastering of Bob's stuff), so you can just drop "Loving Tongue" from this comp into your Another Self Portrait playlist and be none the wiser.... "Billy 1" too if you want to go crazy...

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Man, I love "Trouble in Mind", but to buy an expensive import disc for ONE song (and one I have sourced from crackly vinyl already) ... can't bring myself to do it. Putting "Trouble in Mind" first on the disc is like waving a pizza under the nose of a dieting man. Why not a disc collecting ALL that stuff, instead of two songs worth of it???

"Satan whispers in your ear 'I don't wanna bore ya, when you get tired of that Miss So-and-so, I got another woman for ya." Sorta like a house, with 4 and 20 windows.

6. torrey wikins

torrey wikins Forum Resident

Wow

7. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Exactly, collect up all the odds n' ends and put em on a disc. Nope! Too easy.

8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Maybe, funny when you google him, it alternates between images of him and some other male bodybuilder with the same name.

9. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

...or Jerry Seinfeld?

10. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

so is this version the one that will be on the new box set?

11. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Just being hopeful re: the mastering. If it sounds as good as the 2009 New Morning, I'll be happy.

I get the thematic concept...it just seems odd to have it there when arguably, any of the Basement Tapes recordings form part of the period that led to Dylan working on the SP material. I'll enjoy having it.

12. Whatever the reason it's there, as a huge fan of Dylan's "Basement Tape" recordings, I can't tell you how exciting it is to finally hear one of the very few previously uncirculated tracks remaining. Especially given that I'm really fond of the live Isle of Wight version on Self Portrait. To the best of my knowledge, this leaves only a Dylan composition known as "Wild Wolf" of the basements that haven't seen the light of day.

13. TheiPodAvenger

TheiPodAvenger Forum Resident

Another iTunes-only track that would fit this set is the '69 studio rehearsal version of "Lay Lady Lay" included with pre-release orders of Together Through Life.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

The individual tracks are downloadable on iTunes.

15. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

just preordered the vinyl from amazon germany for 52 euros shipping included.
    Will this be released both in Europe and US?? Or is there only one issue coming - does anybody know that?

16. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

:laugh:

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

You could even compile another whole disc of officially released 1969-71 strays to go with 'Another Self Portrait':

1. Lily Of The West
    2. Can't Help Falling In Love
    3. Sarah Jane
    4. Ballad Of Ira Hayes
    5. Mr Bojangles
    6. Mary Ann
    7. Big Yellow Taxi
    8. A Fool Such As I
    9. Spanish Is The Loving Tongue

(Tracks 1-9 from 'Dylan' LP)

10. Lay Lady Lay (rehearsal)
    11. I Threw It All Away (with George Harrison)
    12. Went To See The Gypsy (electric piano version, if this version is not already included on ASP)

(Tracks 10-12 ITunes exclusives)

13. Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (solo piano version)
    14. George Jackson (solo acoustic version)
    15. George Jackson (Big Band version)

(Tracks 13-15 from 1971 single releases)

16. Watching The River Flow
    17. When I Paint My Masterpiece

(Tracks 16-17 from March 1971 session, from 'GH2')

18. I Shall Be Released
    19. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
    20. Down In The Flood

(Tracks 18-20 from Happy Traum session, from 'GH2')

18. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

According to the listing information that I found provided for the vinyl edition at Elusive Disc, the vinyl version includes two CDs that comprise all of the tracks on the three LPs, so the content is redundant (the two CDs would be the same discs one and two in the four disc CD edition.) Isle of Wight and the re-mastered Self-Portrait will only be included with the four CD box edition.

As I have stated before, I wish that the vinyl version had been 7 LPs, comprising all of the audio content on the CD box and including both of the hardback books, which the vinyl version subtracts and replaces with a chintzy (comparatively) booklet instead. The CD box version will be a must have. Truth be told, I'll probably spring for the vinyl version as well (damn you, Columbia Records!) :cussing:

19. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I think it might an alternate version of the one where he has the "country" voice.

20. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, it's a take from the 1969 Self Portrait sessions. The version above is from the 1970 New Morning sessions.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm guessing only in Europe. No luck finding it on iTunes in the USA.

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

See post #7

:thumbsup:

23. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

24. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I think you've got it! That portrait is the only thing about the set that I don't like so far! :)

25. Sean Murdock

Yep, the Pure Dylan comp is only available at iTunes in Europe; the only version in the U.S. store is the upcoming BS10 version. (Masterpieces isn't available at the U.S. iTunes either.) Either way, although I'm very far from iTunes-phobic, I'd still prefer to own a physical CD if it's available and the cost isn't exorbitant. Considering I've already pre-ordered an exorbitant deluxe box set, $15 plus shipping wasn't too hard to swallow. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.