DOL Vinyl reissue label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ruben lopez, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum Thread Starter

i wonder if anybody has bought one,

they have mingus,miles coltrane,chet,nina simone....i think they are analogue but i'm not shure.

2. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I just picked up Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' 140 gram pressing by DOL (Vinylogy)... sounds quite good to me, but I don't have the Columbia original to compare it to.
    Anyone else care to chime in? Anyone else grab a DOL reissue LP?
    I can't find anything online talking about them except a Russian site site that won't translate via Google.
    LP says it was pressed in Europe, but that's all.

3. Roger Staton

Roger Staton Member

I was unfortunate to buy the Eric Dolphy LP 'Outward Bound' on the DOL label and it sounds terrible - thin sound, no atmosphere, lacking bass and poor imaging - the Spotify
    mp3 version sounds much better. Probably a digital copy was used to make the LP. Thumbs down for me.

McLover likes this.
  4. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

I just bought Brilliant Corners by Thelonious Monk. I don't know how it's supposed to sound...

5. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Public domain label.....

6. cement_head

explains why it was $12.99 new...

Bummer, my local used store has a TON of jazz from this company (DOL - Russian Federation), and they are all pretty cheap (~$10) for new vinyl

7. cement_head

Ac
    Actually, the Monk doesn't sound that bad, the bass is pretty good and the surfaces are really quiet. I'm sure the Riverside issue is better, but for $13 this is pretty good.

8. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I wonder if this is the label putting out the new records I've been picking up for 13.99 at half price books recently. Bought Chet Baker Sings yesterday. Sounded great to me, but I've never heard the original.

9. cement_head

Yes, that's where I got my Monk LP

10. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

well i thought something might be odd with these. I have about 10. If I don't find anything interesting used there, I just grab one of these reissues. :( What kinda annoys me though - I got one of the WaxTime ones from Amazon about a year ago. It's Quincy Jones Big Band Bossa Nova. It's actually $6 more at Elusive Disc than the Universal Verve reissue.

11. Hélio Magalhães

Hélio Magalhães New Member

After wondering around about these reissues, I decided to give DOL a try... Got Muddy Waters' 'At Newport 1960' from these.
    Bought from Juno Records UK for around £ 5 (probably the cheapest reissue I've ever bought) and... well, I can't tell about the sources, but the sound is really nice. Lacks a bit of low frequencies, but the sound in this album seems like this to me in every version I've heard, so that's OK to me. The pressing quality is really good - surface noise is null, and the vinyl seems to be of a higher quality when compared to many other reissue labels.
    The packaging quality is just fine, very close to what you find in MOV releases.

Carlos B, ZOMPAPA216 and cement_head like this.
  12. Gearbox Records

Gearbox Records New Member

Has anyone heard the 'Best of Muddy Waters' on DOL? I'd love to find an original Chess copy in good condition but gave up a long time ago.

13. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

I just picked up Rush - Live in St. Louis 1980 on DOL. I'd been looking for the Anthem release for some time, but they are not easy to find, so I was glad to see something similar being released on PD. Almost certainly a needle drop copy, but quite frankly it sounds pretty decent to me. Neil's drumming is way out in front on this release, which I really like. While certainly not audiophile quality by any means, I will say both 180g discs are perfectly flat and true. Overall. I'm happy to have a copy of this, PD or not.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Carlos B likes this.
  14. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have 1 DOL release. Its the Alice in Chains live LP. Sound is "meh" AND its edited! Yup. wtf?

15. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

For sure, the Rush LP is edited too. It's kind of funny really. There's a part in Working Man where Neil is getting way to0 cute on the fills and messes the thing up. At that point on the recording the song abruptly cuts off and starts back up again later in the song.

I guess if your looking for a really well produced vinyl release, I'd stay away from these. I'd almost have to put this in the bootleg category for the same issues you mentioned.

I'm still glad I have this one though.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

They should at least tell you the recording is edited!

17. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

Mine doesn't give any hints at all about the sources, mastering, editing, etc.. The only hype it has is "180g Heavyweight Vinyl". That pretty much tells me its a copied source, mostly likely from a CD, or worse.

I think if they mentioned any of the bad stuff on the cover, like "sourced from CD", or "edited version", they'd risk losing sales. The whole idea is to get you to buy it. Then once you get it home and listen to it you say, "What the %&*^".

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

But they lost my business now. I'll never buy another children version of an LP from that place.
    Too bad too, because theres a Nirvana as well as Janes Addiction also. But not when its edited lol. I find it hard to believe they couldn't find an unedited source to use.

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I have a few vinyl LPs from Dol and have found them uniformly excellent -which is not to say there aren't bad ones out there.

Great sound and dead quiet vinyl. While they get a lot of stick I'm wondering why a company like this can give me cheap quiet vinyl whereas a major release like David Gilmour is fraught with issues from opening.

Man at C&A and Capzark like this.
  20. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

I have to agree. Whoever pressed mine knew what they were doing.

21. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Interesting thread. I keep seeing these LP's in a lot of shops but something, and I'm not sure what exactly it is, just puts me off buying them. Maybe the lack of detail about who they are, how they have the rights to release what they release (licensed out officially? Public Domain?).....I'll keep an eye for any recommendations and I am interested in some of the Jazz titles but I'm hesitating.

22. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

Interesting.

Not really anything to do with DOL except the bootleg label connection (AFAIK) - I've got a Scorpio copy of Kool And The Gang "Spirit Of The Boogie", and besides the poor cut (probably from a CD, quite a bit of hum in the background), there is also an edit. I suspect Scorpio have some links with DJs, as just before the breakbeat on 'Jungle Jazz', after the opening gong, it stops dead for ages and then kicks in with the break. The only reason I can think for doing that is to provide DJs with a slightly easier cue point for the break.

That said, I have other Scorpios which seem fine. They aren't badly pressed, dunno about 180g but certainly thick, centered, quite enough...

23. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

Just listened to this Rush release again at a much higher volume and if this PD stuff from DOL is all crap please send it all to me. This thing rocks!!!!:pineapple:

Recordfan likes this.
  24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Coincidentally I just received a Doxy LP of «Serge Gainsbourg et le Cinema» ....same deal -superb sonics and beautiful quiet vinyl.

Except....it's even better than that. This is an LP that spins at 45rpm and declares itself to be an "audiophile" pressing. It's dirt cheap. It doesn't even have noise in the deadwax.

I have no clue if this is a needledrop, lifted from a CD or otherwise. All I know it it that is sounds like it should cost much more than the pittance I paid for it.

Big companies, give your new vinyl pressings to this crowd.

25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Maybe I don't understand what a "needle drop" is, but are you implying this LP is made from a recording of another LP ?!

Also do you have a link to the track list? I have seen this LP listed on Amazon but with no real details. Is it the same gig as the Kiel Auditorium release as here: http://www.discogs.com/Rush-Kiel-Auditorium-St-Louis-Missouri-14-February-1980/release/7350907