Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (part2) Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yeah -- good list! Don't forget "If Not For You" and the original "Wallflower" from Bootleg Series 1-3...

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

dang, this is the one that I love.

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought about that, I wasn't sure about canabalizing another Bootleg Series though! ;)

There's also ten 1971 live tracks (the 5 original 'Bangla Desh' tracks plus 'Love Minus Zero' from the reissue, and the 4 tracks with Bob from The Band's NYE '71 show which are on the expanded 'Rock Of Ages')

1. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
    2. It Takes A Lot To Laugh
    3. Blowin' In The Wind
    4. Mr Tambourine Man
    5. Just Like A Woman
    6. Love Minus Zero
    7. Down In The Flood
    8. When I Paint My Masterpiece
    9. Don't Ya Tell Henry
    10.Like A Rolling Stone

PS. I know the Dylan/Cash 'One Too Many Mornings' from 1969 is on DVD. Was it ever on a (Cash) CD?

Natural E and Hep Alien like this.
  4. Sean Murdock

1969-71 doesn't seem so much like a "slow period" for Bob anymore, does it? :agree:

DmitriKaramazov and slane like this.
  5. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

..... and a woman's face in every one!!! :D

signothetimes53 likes this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

8. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Anyone know what the sources are for the vinyl?? Like, hi resolution digital, analog??

9. DmitriKaramazov

:D

The "Pure Dylan" comp is quite a nice one. In addition to what's been mentioned, it contains Moonshiner (!), Percy's Song and Tomorrow Night. Definitely NOT a standard issue comp. I can see someone at Sony was having fun putting that together.

Now if only they'd added "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" and "Let It Be Me" (the re-make in the 80's)!

10. Sean Murdock

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to it -- it will be a fun, different listen. A nice change from all the other comps that draw from the same two dozen "walking antiques"...

And I don't want to say anything definitive before I hear the CD, but based on the sample alone, it sounds like they may have toned down the reverb on "Percy's Song" so it sounds more like a Times outtake than it did on Biograph. If you have the comp, what are your thoughts on "Percy's Song" -- new mix, or the same as Biograph?

P.S. -- "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" is a very nice track, and it's a shame it's still only available on the vinyl single. It needs to find its way onto a comp someday -- perhaps my hypothetical "Eighties Bob" Bootleg Series?

Hep Alien and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

It's kind of insane that tracks like "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" and "Band of the Hand" are still consigned to '80s-released vinyl.

DmitriKaramazov and Sean Murdock like this.
  12. Sean Murdock

Indeed -- for some fans, "Band Of The Hand" was the only thing that redeemed the mid-80s.

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Isn't "Angels" a Willie Nelson song? Funny, more grist for the copyright mill controversy. IIRC, my UK import 45 picture sleeve single of Union Sundown had Dylan credited on the b-side label as the songwriter for Angels.

14. Sean Murdock

Well, my copy of the "I and I" single correctly credits the song to Willie -- so don't go starting trouble! :tsk:

ronbow likes this.
  15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

:unhunh:

16. DmitriKaramazov

Sean, Today I listened to the Biograph "Percy's Song" and also the Pure Dylan "Percy's Song" version and for my ears I couldn't hear much of a difference. Yes, they may have toned down the reverb on Pure Dylan, but I don't hear much difference.

These finger picking songs of Bob's are a treat, aren't they?

-- David

17. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Great, great song. Could use a remix, though, as I recall — voice too far out front, bass a little light.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Any online clips/samples of the Isle Of Wight material from this set yet?

19. Sean Murdock

Thanks for listening for me and reporting back -- I should have the Pure Dylan CD in a day or two. They wouldn't have to do much other than tone down the reverb to improve it (for me), and yeah -- I do love those songs, and "Percy's Song" is one of my favorites. In fact, I'd have to say that "Percy's Song" is a big part of why I became a life-long Dylan fan. When I got Biograph in 1985, I only had a handful of Dylan albums -- I believe my first ones were Infidels paired with Empire Burlesque and Highway 61 paired with Bringing It All Back Home. (I always bought LPs in pairs, because I'd immediately put them onto 90-minute cassettes -- a habit complicated by some of Dylan's longer albums.) Anyway, I used Biograph to guide me on what to get next, and because I loved "Percy's Song" so much, I got Freewheelin' and Times next. Things got very expensive for my 16-year-old income after that! :agree:

Carserguev likes this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Infidels" and "Empire Burlesque" fit together on a 90 minute cassette with just enough space left to fit "Band of the Hand". In the days long before CD players in the car, I wore that cassette out. My cassette pairings were generally chronological. The longer Dylan albums got 60's all to themselves.

21. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

I'm pretty ticked that the full deluxe set isn't available in an all-vinyl edition. I would happily fork down a lot of cash solely to have the complete IOW set on vinyl.

torrey wikins and mycroft like this.
  22. Sean Murdock

Yeah, I figured out pretty quickly that Bob had single LPs longer than 50 minutes -- a shock for a kid used to Capitol's 25-minute long Beatles albums! My 90-minute two-fers were always chronological too -- you can imagine how depressing my Knocked Out Loaded / Down In The Groove tape was! :shake:

23. slane

slane Forum Resident

And you didn't even have to cut anything out to make it fit on a C90! ;)

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"KOL" was paired with the 5th LP of "Biograph" in my cassette set up (the first 4 LPs took up two 90's). Perhaps that's why I listened to it more than many of the folks who dismiss it.

25. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Pure Dylan is an excellent compilation; sounds great as well. It's probably my most played Dylan CD this year. Hope you enjoy it!

rstamberg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.