Black Sabbath - 2012 LP Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Haven't heard either of these versions of Vol 4 myself. I've got an old U.S. WB Palm Tree label copy that I think sounds decent, but I wouldn't mind stumbling across a UK Porky in the used bins someday :)

2. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I've heard the US sounds flat compared to the Porky which sounds very dynamic and "Full". Try eBay and Discogs.com although they can reach silly prices. I have 2 EX copies that i got for £25 and £60.

3. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Yeah, sure, I'll post right away.
    The "Japan twofer " is actually sourced from a cd, that many people consider the best mastering of Paranoid in the digital realm - it's a japanese release from the 80s and it has the S/T and Paranoid in the same disc.

Here it is, let me know if it works
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/lbhmfgdqhlf58jy/uk_vertigo_swirl.flac (uk vertigo)

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes now works and sounds great! I hope someday get NM or M copies of 1st UK vertigos :D

by the way on paranoid, I see that the QUAD is not a top searching album, why? is considerate a bad mix? or unnecessary... just saying... I have a rip form the vinyl and sounds great

marcelbr likes this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I really enjoy listening to the quad in surround (wish War Pigs was mixed better, though). It might get a bad rap because the DVD included in the deluxe Paranoid is awful. It sounds like a poor transfer from the vinyl. There are multiple 4.0 rips from vinyl and reel out there, all of which blow away the "official" product. I wonder if Warner Bros doesn't still have the quad master, but from what I can tell, WB & Sabbath UK labels don't exchange sources. Which is why the UK always still gets the crappy vinyl rip of Wicked World while WB puts it out from the master.

6. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

I listened to the needledrop of the EU version of the 2012 boxset Paranoid LP again yesterday and can confirm once again - to my ears, this is the best version I've heard of the album, beating the Japanese twofer and the original UK vinyl

driverdrummer likes this.
  7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes true! I have some rips from vinyl and reel and sounds a lot better than the official DVDA

8. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

so yes even @curbach dont like my previous comment haha ;) the best sound its seems to be 1st UK pressings (well for 1st 4 albums) and the new box set...

9. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Can you confirm where u got the needledrop? Im curious to compare Vol. 4 with the Porky.

10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

As I mentioned in the current Sabbath album-by-album thread, I was always intrigued as to why Wicked World sounds so different from the rest of the album. I've only ever had UK issues of the s/t, so I find this comment of yours very interesting.

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The old WB, Creative Sounds and Black Box "Wicked World" all come from tape and sound way better than on any UK CD I've heard (and I've check out as many as I could, inc. comps).

12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thanks a lot for the info, rnranimal! I'll keep that in mind to get me a good Wicked World.

13. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.