Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have an old Liberty reissue of Stanley Turrentine "Joyride" with charts by Oliver Nelson. I would love to see this get the MM treatment.

kt66brooklyn and GreatTone like this.
  4. Michel Jazz

Hi Josquin I actually meant the picture of the cover itself... the record itself is GREAT (I have the 2LP jazz re-issue series of it). But I saw the Japanese cover and that looked a little bit better then this cover... but that is ofcourse a matter of taste...

5. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I have that too, and agree that it would sound amazing. It would be cool to get a bigger band sound in 45 rpm.

6. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

So last night I listened to Mode for Joe and Easy Living. They both sound amazing. I don't know what it is, but every album with Joe Chambers on it has some of the best drum sound ever recorded. RVG must have had a special connection with him. The bigger drums like the floor tom are just so huge and deeply resonant, and the cymbals are very clear and metallic.

I was surprised by how great the Ike Quebec album is. I have the AP reissue of his Blue and Sentimental, but it never grabbed me like this one. Sonny Clark is in amazing form, and the piano actually sounds very clear and more up-front than is usual on a Blue Note album. Two big thumbs up.

7. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

I would like to see some Jimmy Smith.

8. Josquin des Prez

AP has two great Jimmy Smith titles: "Back At The Chicken Shack" and "Midnight Special" both from the same session with Stanley Turrentine.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

Saw that, but I wouldn't mind something of his with the MM packaging :)

I was surprised to find out that a lot of folks just don't dig Jimmy. People seem to think he's too repetitive.

10. Josquin des Prez

The AP titles are excellent. Don't pass on them because they don't have gatefold covers with nice photos inside. :)

johnnypaddock likes this.
  11. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

I actually have a bunch of the first run of the Blue Notes they did, but never got these. I just might have to pick up "Back At The Chicken Shack." Thanks!

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Jimmy Smith's 1956-58 albums are really good stuff; more funky and interesting than the two AP released.

kt66brooklyn and noname74 like this.
  13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more.

14. Michel Jazz

I think that AP should add a tube of glue with every album they sell :D

kt66brooklyn, spindly and Parkertown like this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

You have problems with their packaging? I never have. And the defect rate on discs is no worse than for Music Matters (which are also pressed at RTI). The newer QRP-pressed AP releases have a much lower defect rate.

16. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Yep...; just re-glued "Along Came John" the other day... :whistle:

17. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

My wife gave me the AP reissue of Somethin' Else recently for my birthday, and the cover arrived completely unglued on one side. I have a real problem with spending $50 on something that shoddy, regardless of the quality of the vinyl. If there had never been a Music Matters, maybe it wouldn't be as big a deal, but given the quality of MM and the fact that it doesn't cost any more, I find the AP's just shameful. Call me crazy, but I only own 2 of the AP's, and there's at least 10-15 that I would buy if it weren't for the covers. On the other hand, I own all the MM's, and I am a subscriber. The AP's just make me feel bad inside, like I've been ripped off. But then, I have spent the last 25 years in advertising, so packaging and printing quality mean a lot more to me than the average person I suppose.

JMCIII, bladerunner119 and Brudy like this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

I'll have to keep an eye on my AP 45 RPM covers. I have 2 dozen, give or take, and have yet to encounter an unglued binding.

19. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Strong words/feelings, but look ... who am I to argue with you ... each to his own .... but I have to put forward another argument for you to consider. I am an MM subscriber and I have the entire AS BN series as well. In this day and age to be able to buy these Blue Note gems is nothing short of remarkable. The fact that many of the MM albums are not OOP is astounding to me. That means that we cannot find 2500 people ON EARTH (!!) who are interested in owning what is probably the ultimate copy of a Blue Note jazz title. Put the AS titles against this backdrop and I challenge you to re-assess the situation. If you can own a Blue Note title as carefully treated as the AS series obviously is - and no, I am not talking about the bloody covers :) - you should almost be grateful. Grab these while you can. It's about the music first and foremost. UHU is your friend :)

Regards
    JW

raferx and Josquin des Prez like this.
  20. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I understand your perspective, and I know I am nearly alone in feeling this way, and it borders on irrational. I have had my eye on the AP version of "Go" so maybe that is in my future.

21. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

All AP had to do was to get the plant to roughen those glossy glue surface before binding - little things like that keep cropping up and show lack of customer focus and frankly worries me about other AP products.
    MM rules on packaging and customer care.

JMCIII likes this.
  22. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

I know, I know. Just let it go. It's OK. You'll be better off for it in the end :):tiphat:

23. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

oh I let it go a long time ago after I gave AP my opinion on this and several other issues- back to MM, AP has it's own 45 rpm thread BTW

24. Michel Jazz

I'm a MM subscriber since 2011 and this year I bought the last bunch to catch up and now I completed the 100+ MM series.
    Before that happened I only got a few AP blue note albums with the sh....y covers but great sound. Because of the sound I'm now starting slowly with cherry-picking the AP blue note list. Musicmatters will probably never copy anything of the AP blue note series... the vinyl itself is not necessary, reissue the covers in MM style would be enough, so I could throw away the ugly AP covers....:p

bladerunner119 and GreatTone like this.
  25. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

It was mentioned that on "Mode for Joe", Ron Carter is mixed very low. Can someone else confirm this?
    A major reason why I invest in MM titles is the improved bass presence that 45rpm offers.

JMCIII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.