DCC Archive Love's Self-titled remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vivaldinization, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member Thread Starter

Just got this today.

*WHOAH*

For an album that I always thought sounded kinda OK (both in its old-CD stereo incarnation, and the mono tracks that're on Love Story), this new CD beats the crap outta both of them, especially the former. I'm floored. And a UK remastering, no less.

Let's hope Elektra UK gets Da Capo before Warners US.

-D

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

David,

A few questions for ya. How is the Signed DC bonus track? Is it just a stripped down version or a completely different take? Do you prefer the mono mix? The liner notes for Rhino's Love Story compilation mention an unreleased track from the first LP sessions called 'Red Light, Green Light.' Any idea why it's not on the reissue? :confused:

Chris

3. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

What stereo cd version do you have? I got mine as soon as it came out and was remastered "for superior sound" by Paul Rothchild and Bruce Botnick in 1988. I compared it with my original stereo vinyl and love the cd. Very clean and warm.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I presume that this is better sounding than the Rhino produced Forever Changes? FC was remastered by Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot at Digiprep.

5. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member Thread Starter

Signed DC sounds similar to the one on Castle, and no, I don't know why there aren't any outtakes (nor a stereo No. 14).

This CD sounds quite a bit better than the original Elektra to my ears, and also roundly beats the second round of Forever Changes remasters (although it sounds close to the one on Love Story).

This was a VERY well recorded album.

-D

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Bumping a very old thread.

I have the Forever Changes remaster with the bonus disc mastered by Steve, and I also have the MFSL SACD of Da Capo. I'm set on those two albums, but I don't own the debut album. Which CD do you folks prefer for the debut? Should I go with stereo or mono or are there good versions of both presentations?

Thanks!

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

There is an import that has both the mono and stereo mixes on one disc, and it was produced by Andrew Sandoval, so you KNOW it is a quality product. I think the mastering is by Inglot.

I bought mine sealed from a 3rd party vendor in the UK on Amazon for under $10!
    http://www.amazon.com/Love/dp/B00005O176/ref=pd_sim_m_8

Cassius likes this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

10. action pact

Wow, almost the entire album is on the "Love Story" box set!

11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ha, did not know that! A friend of mine has the box but never bothered to ask since I have the original albums

12. KeithH

Thanks, guys. How is the mastering on the mono/stereo remaster? Inglot does not always get high marks here.

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Well, if I'm not mistaken, if you own the version of "Forever Changes" with the alternate mix as splendidly remastered by our host (from a cassette, no less:eek:), you have the "regular" mix on the first CD remastered by Bill Inglot. If it's ok sounding for you, probably his remastering of the debut won't disappoint you. It's been a while since the last time I listened to the "Love" CD but it's a good-not exceptional-sounding release and the inclusion of mono mix makes it essential

14. action pact

I like it a lot. It's not bright like some of Inglot's work.

15. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Is MFSL going to issue an SACD of Forever Changes?

16. action pact

Not that I'm aware of.

17. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Was curious as they just issued Da Capo on SACD.

18. Chris180g

Chris180g Forum Resident

Yes according to their facebook page - "We do plan to release Forever Changes! Unfortunately a release estimate is not currently available."

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The 2001 Love remaster has 30 tracks, the mono and stereo mixes of the original album (2 x 14) and 2 bonus tracks. Haven't listened to it in ages, but as far as I can remember the sound is not bad.

stereoptic likes this.
  20. KeithH

Thanks, guys. I haven't listened to Inglot's mastering of Forever Changes in awhile, but I don't remember it being bright. It is the only version of the album I own.

21. KeithH

Well that's good news! Thanks!

22. action pact

"Forever Changes" sounds terrific. In fact, the mastering of the first disc sounds pretty much identical to the "Love Story" box, which is also excellent.

23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I think I would prefer the eq from a MFSL release, but our host praised the Rhino two-fer, and said that there was not anymore detail from the tape (original mix) to capture beyond what's already out there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.