Neil Young - Cellar Door

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dirie, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

bump.

any news?

2. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

This is what Archives Guy had to say about it on Facebook:

qtrules likes this.
  3. dirie

dirie Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's a tracklisting on jpc:
    1. On the Way Home (Buffalo Springfield song)
    2. Tell Me Why
    3. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
    4. Old Man
    5. Down by the River
    6. After the Gold Rush
    7. Expecting to Fly (Buffalo Springfield song)
    8. Flying on the Ground Is Wrong (Buffalo Springfield song)
    9. Bad Fog of Loneliness
    10. See the Sky About to Rain
    https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Neil-Young-Cellar-Door/hnum/2520532

4. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

oh wow! i totally missed that.

hm. interesting. except... we've heard all of the songs before.

so with AG's post, does that mean this is a legitimate release? i kind of hoped they would leave the 1960s and move into the 70s...

(side note: why am i complaining about a new neil young release...?! and an archival one at that.)

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I'm fine with the set list. Bring it on.

6. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, Only Love Can Break Your Heart and Down By The River are completely unreleased in the acoustic form and aren't present in the other Archives releases(Sugar Mountain, Riverboat, Massey Hall). See The Sky About To Rain is probably the one released on the Archives set.

7. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I'll buy it NOW!

8. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

"down by the river" was played at massey hall. "only love can break your heart" was on topanga 3, albeit with crosby, stills and nash in tow.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  9. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

"Down By The River" isn't on the Massey Hall release. It is a part of a medley on the 4-Way Street CD though. "Cellar Door" will be a nice release to fill in some holes in the Archives, but certainly not a major part of it. I think a lot of the raps on the actual Archives "file cabinet disks" also come from the Cellar Door shows. I welcome it, though. My ADD will appreciate the short set. It seems like it is firming up to be a real release....I, too, am wondering what sort of havoc it will wreak on the NYAPS numbering system :)

10. Heart of Gold

Effectively Down By The River is the track nr.15 on the Massey Hall release, as corrected by qtrules. This leaves Only Love Can Break Your Heart as "unreleased" song, at least as solo Neil song. Probably the main attractive of this release is the multitrack master, though it counts less in a acoustic performance.

11. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Would not surprise me to see a potential Cellar Door release numbered as Volume 2.1

Patience, flexibility, and acceptance are a NY fan's best friend.

Not for nothing, but with the passing of Ben Keith, and the advancing age of others that played with Neil, I figured he would have picked up the pace a bit.
    But its been anything but that for sure.

12. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

Thanks qtrules and Heart of Gold.... That is precisely why I like short CDs! Apparently I don't remember anything after track #12 or so :).
    I stand corrected. Archives Guy confirmed that this is a real release and will be out in the USA, too.

Personally, I think it will be cool to have a live take of After The Goldrush from 1970. I know we have it from Rust Never Sleeps, but this would be before his surgery to remove the nodules from his vocal chords which drastically changed his singing voice. And, he did a lot of talking at these shows too, as evidenced by the bonus features on the Archives Blu-Ray. So.....will be nice to have.

Yes, I, too am hoping for some more eras to be released. But I don't mind that he's still mining the Vol1 era. I hope there are other things which will surface, too, like that recording of "High School Graduation", Demo of "Expecting To Fly", more live electric CSNY, more Crazy Horse outtakes....

13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

agreed. Would have been great if he released everything associated with Vol. 1. I would have taken Cellar Door, Royce and Carnegie despite similar tracklists. and of course the 1971 BBC. also, too bad The Losing End and a few others didnt make it onto the Riverboat disc

14. Heart of Gold

I'd add Canterbury House 1969 with the wonderful acoustic Everybody's Alone (one of my favourite tunes). The version released on Archives Vol.1 is with Crazy Horse and quite rough.

Chris M and JoeRockhead like this.
  15. Anteo

Anteo Forum Resident

16. dirie

dirie Forum Resident Thread Starter

SquaRoots likes this.
  17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

See all the csny tapes at the end. They should release all those on vinyl too. One day it will happen.

18. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.