Steely Dan CDs Different Masterings: A Decade of Steely Dan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BartK, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BartK

BartK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since this was the first CD compilation of Steely Dan, and it is still considered to be the best sounding one if you have "the right mastering", I want to compile a list of the different pressings of this CD sorted by the different masterings as measured by EAC peaks. This is meant to be a companion to the excellent set of threads covering the masterings of the 7 core Steely Dan albums started by forum member Mdekoning.

If you own a copy of this fine CD and can extract EAC peaks, please contribute the peaks of your disc or discs along with the catalog number, matrix number of the disc, country of origin, and any other facts that will help identify your disc such as if its a club pressing (CRC, or BMG), or a gold disc. I will periodically check back and compile all of the findings that have been posted until this thread runs out of steam.

Thanks ahead of time to all who contribute.

From reading the existing threads discussing "A Decade of Steely Dan", there are at least three different masterings of this disc.

Mastering 1: (original Ludwig/Nichols master)[MOD: New information sheds light on this being incorrect later in the thread.]
    97.3/ 84.5/ 89.1/ 89.1/ 93.3/ 80.6/93.2/ 92.7/ 89.7/ 98.8/ 78.7/ 94.8/ 93.4/ 93.9

Mastering 2:
    94.0/ 100/ 93.4/ 91.0/ 76.1/ 86.3/ 86.2/ 91.0/ 67.8/ 79.2/ 44.4/ 88.8/ 96.4/ 100

Mastering 3:
    66.7/ 82.9/ 69.0/ 68.1/ 63.3/ 65.0/ 65.4/ 67.4/ 57.7/ 62.9/ 37.0/ 66.7/ 65.0/ 70.3

MCAD-5570 DIDY 306 , matrix: DIDY-000306, made in USA (CRC) no barcode

BIG ED likes this.
  2. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

There'a also a gold version that I bought when it was available but I got rid if it as it was LOUD with boosted treble, much like a lot of the MCA gold discs at that time.

3. BartK

Bump. Let's please get a little data going. Thanks.

4. BartK

Bump. From reviewing what was posted in earlier threads about this CD, I believe that mastering 1 here is the original Ludwig/Nichols mastering with a cold stop on "Do It Again" and the crackling at the 23s mark of "Bad Sneakers". If someone with this version could confirm, that would be great. Mastering 2 is likely another early mastering which fixed these two issues. Therefore, it is likely that there are at least 4 or 5 mastering of this disc if we account for the Meadows remaster and the Gold version.

Mastering 1: (original Ludwig/Nichols master)[MOD: New information sheds light on this being incorrect later in the thread.]
    97.3/ 84.5/ 89.1/ 89.1/ 93.3/ 80.6/93.2/ 92.7/ 89.7/ 98.8/ 78.7/ 94.8/ 93.4/ 93.9

Mastering 2:
    94.0/ 100/ 93.4/ 91.0/ 76.1/ 86.3/ 86.2/ 91.0/ 67.8/ 79.2/ 44.4/ 88.8/ 96.4/ 100

MCAD- 5570 DIDX 306, matrix: MCAD5570 10/88 2DA3, made in USA, Mfd. for BMG Direct Marketing

Mastering 3:
    66.7/ 82.9/ 69.0/ 68.1/ 63.3/ 65.0/ 65.4/ 67.4/ 57.7/ 62.9/ 37.0/ 66.7/ 65.0/ 70.3

MCAD-5570 DIDY 306 , matrix: DIDY-000306, made in USA (CRC) no barcode

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Nice thread.

What is the bar code or issue numbering for Mastering #1?

Would you say that it sounds 'better' than #2? That is the one I have.

Thanks!

6. I have mastering No. 2, and old JPN for US MCA CD without barcode.

McLover likes this.
  7. BartK

I haven't heard Mastering #1. Unfortunately, no one who has a CD with that mastering has contributed to this thread yet. I have masterings 2, which I just got a couple of days ago, and 3. Have not had a chance to shoot them out yet.

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

OK. I have the box set, what mastering is that? The one called "Citizen".

Keith V likes this.
  9. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have mastering #2. No UPC on back, Made in USA. Mastered by Ludwig and Nichols... "digitally remastered from the original first generation masters".

Pat

10. How do we know that mastering 1 was done before mastering 2?

All the early CD issues seem to have mastering 2. Is mastering 1 perhaps a Japanese CD pressing or some other import version?

11. BartK

12. BartK

A fair question. From reading other threads dedicated to this CD, it has been reported that there is a very early version which has a cold stop instead of a fade on "Do It Again", and some audible crackling on "Bad Sneakers" which is acknowledged in the liner notes. It makes sense to me(and due to lack of data, this is still reasoned speculation on my part) that the version which corrects these mistakes, mastering 2, came after mastering 1.

13. BartK

Could someone with a copy of the Glenn Meadows mastered version, MCAD-11553, please post a set of EAC #s? The version I have listed here as the earliest Ludwig/Nichols version (mastering 1), may turn out to be this later Glenn Meadows version.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The original posts state that mastering #1 is the original, yet your Japanese pressing has mastering #2. Which pressing(s) has/have mastering #1?

Some Japan-for-U.S. pressings show the album title on the disc as "THE BEST OF STEELY DAN", while others show it as "A DECADE OF STEELY DAN". Has anyone compared these discs?

There also is a West German-for-U.S. pressing. Does it have a different mastering than the Japanese pressings?

Muggles likes this.
  15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Oh. I thought we were only talking about "secret remasters" with catalog number MCAD-5570.

16. BartK

I'm trying to EAC peaks listed for all versions of this CD. If anyone has an early copy with the cold stop version of "Do It Again", and the crackling noise on "Bad Sneakers", please post a set of peaks and title/catalog/matrix info.

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I used to have that disc...with the cold stop. I foolishly sold it off to get the remaster back in the late 90's. I sure would love to have that disc again. "A Decade Of" is where I first started with Steely Dan. Oddly enough, I got into them the week after I graduated from high school. Maybe a coming of age or something...? :)

18. BartK

Do you still have the remaster? If so, could you post the EAC peaks for your copy, or at least let me know if they match a set of peaks I already have listed?

19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I do have the remaster. But, all of my discs are in storage...major home remodeling going on. I'll try to dig it up :)

20. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I have 2 pressings of the version with the cold ending on "Do It Again" and the noise on "Bad Sneakers"
    My first and what I believe to be the earliest pressing(the one Keith mentioned) has the title listed as "The Best Of Steely Dan" on the CD.
    It's also on the from cover under A Decade Of Steely Dan. This CD is Made In Japan and there is no bar code on the back inlay.
    The spine print on this copy is more grey in color than the white color on all other copies.

My second copy is also a Made In Japan CD....no bar code as well but has the title of "A Decade Of Steely Dan"
    Both of these CD's has a total time of 68:11 and of course DIDX-306

The layout of the credits on these CD's to the right of the center hole are very different.

JF

21. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Also:
    DIDX 306 MCAD-5570, matrix: DIDX-306 2896 613 03 *, Manufactured in West Germany for MCA Records, Inc., no barcode. The disc states "Compiled and remastered by GARY KATZ. Digitally remastered from the Original first generation masters."

There is some short crackling at the 23 second mark on Bad Sneakers, add Do It Again ends cold at the 5:54 mark after a partial fade-out.

22. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

I have mastering no. 2. MCAD 5570 DIDX 306, matrix: MCAD 5570 M5E21, made in Japan, & no barcode. Fade out on Do It Again & crackle at 23 seconds on Bad Sneakers. Nice sounding CD!

23. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

I have mastering 3. Do It Again has normal long fadeout, and no crackle on Bad Sneakers. Has "The Best Of Steely Dan" on the face of the CD.

24. BartK

Is yours the same matrix as the CRC copy I have listed for mastering 3? Now that you mention it, my copy also is titled "The Best of Steely Dan" on the CD face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.