Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

I have this old single from 1990, which I assume is the same recording as in the Decca box.

[​IMG]

Fine performances, and the audio is very good from the pre-makeover days of Davies Hall.

Mik likes this.
  2. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

It took a while for Rite of Spring to grow on me. Not as immediately accessable as Firebird (at least for me), but it is a powerful and wonderful (in places) piece of music. You can see/hear why early audiences were thrown for a loop.

3. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

4. Tangledupinblue

Thanks for the rec! I don't know any of the pieces on discs two and three (apart from Harmonie der Welt, a work that unfortunately hasn't grabbed me as much as most other Hindemith works) so that's yet more riches awaiting discovery for me from this incredibly prolific and fertile composer.

5. Tangledupinblue

BTW, anyone notice something a bit odd about the bar at the top while logged in? I'm sure there was at least one other thing in the group that includes the user name, Inbox and Alerts, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was!

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

On my phone I see it. It's a drop down box to jump to "Home" "Xentrader" "Members" "Bookmarks" and "Rules and Info." Must have came out with the changes made last night.

I see that all of the Classical Music Corner threads show up under Bookmarks. Cool.

7. Tangledupinblue

What I meant was the group on the top right (I use a laptop with Windows 7 and IE8) - at the moment it's showing just three things - "Tangledupinblue", "Inbox" and "Alerts", and I'm sure there was more on that side.

Not that bothered, just mildly curious!

8. George P

Things must have got shifted around during the changes last night.

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I noticed it too. as I can't recall for the life of me what the fourth option was, I guess I didn't use it.:)

10. john greenwood

As I type this I am ripping my first SACD. :goodie:

morinix likes this.
  11. Tangledupinblue

Now been listening (in reverse order as it turns out) to the first of the expressionist trilogy of Hindemith short operas:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000005WB7

And here's the same recording on YouTube for your listening pleasure, followed by the vocal score:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Mörder,_Hoffnung_der_Frauen,_Op.12_(Hindemith,_Paul)

To be honest, for me this is definitely the least interesting of the triptych. It's quite emotionally and dramatically compelling, but much more conventional than the other two, more obviously tied to his late romantic influences (once again, Brahms, Strauss and Mahler are clear antecedents), much of the music being clearly tonal, with long arching phrases and opulent orchestration, and while there are some passages that veer on atonality, they're more akin to Schoenberg's pre-1909 stuff than after when he took the plunge, and lack the edge of their counterparts in the later operas. It's like some of his other works at the time (the Viola Sonata, F minor String Quartet, Op. 8 Pieces for Cello and Piano) when he was still frequently using key signatures and rooted in romantic practices, with only a few more harmonically and tonally advanced passages that look forward to his later enfant terrible period. In fairness, Hindemith's style was evolving at this time (late 1910s/early 1920s) at an incredibly rapid rate, and the very next opera (already commented on on the previous page) is testimony to the innovator who shocked many of the more conservative critics and concert goers in Germany that he would quickly become. But still, it's of fascinating interest to anyone who wants to study his stylistic evolution from the early stages of his career, with all its twists and turns, his sheer eclectism and restless desire to try something different in every work, especially those who find his later music comparatively bland and homogeneous in style.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  12. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Just ordered!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The Schoenberg disc was the first music of his I bought. I was anticipating something hard to listen to, but it's not.

I'll be curious what your opinion is of the Debussy. The Images/Estampes album is my favorite classical album, partly because it is the album that started me on seriously listening to classical music, but also because it's just a great album.

14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I think the order just changed. Alerts were in the middle.

15. john greenwood

I have Pollini's Schoenberg disc. Very good indeed.

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Heinrich Schutz – Psalmen Davids - disc 1 - SWV24-34
    — Kammerchor Stuttgart & Soloists, Musica Fiata Koln — Frieder Bernius (Vivarte/Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

PH416156 likes this.
  17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think you will like those. I really like Jacobs Images.

18. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Thanks... I guess I'll order a copy, I have so many already, though.

19. sgb

sgb Senior Member

This just about sums it up for me as well. I really do not want to get involved in new technologies/formats.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Is that in regard to, uh, was it a playstation or some such?

21. George P

I sampled that Images CD a lot on Spotify. I think he's more dynamic than I'd like for Debussy, but those 3 rare Images at the start and the fact that this is OOP swayed me to buy.

If you like them, I will like them. :thumbsup:

Until today, that was the only one I had for those works.

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

One of the best Mathis on record IMO.

John S likes this.
  23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

this is one disc from the box I haven't listened to yet

24. Tangledupinblue

Now playing another Hindemith work, the Cello Sonata from this recording through Spotify:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Czerny-Bach-Moscheles-Hindemith-Works-cello/dp/B005H55VGG

Score here:
    http://imslp.us/php/linkhandler.php?path=/scores/Hindemith_Paul_1963/Hindemith - Cello Sonata, op. 11-3.pdf

This is quite a fascinating work, because although its composition date is from 1919, stylistically it sounds like it came from at least 1922, in many ways anticipating the austere mood and lean textures of Kammermusik 2. In stark contrast to the opulence of Mörder, Hoffnung der Frauen, it's in a severe, neo-Bachian style that completely eschews any kind of sentimentality, with the emphasis more on linear counterpoint than harmony and apart from a few faint traces of Brahms in the more lyrical melodies marks a complete break away from romanticism. Tonality is ambiguous but not avoided altogether; in its asceticism and largely avoidance of traditional major and minor triads it recalls Bartok up to this point, especially his more radical solo piano music, but it's not as dissonant as the most radical parts of Das Nusch-Nuschi. It's definitely a work that commands respect more than love and in fairness I think Hindemith intended that, but it's still a intriguing document of his versatility and of a young, still developing but evidently hugely talented composer.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  25. john greenwood

Playstation 3, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.