Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

A CD of violinist Leonid Kogan from the "Legendary Russion Soloists" set on Brilliant:

Edward Grieg – Sonatas for Violin and Piano No.1 Op.8, No.3 Op.45 — with Grigory Ginzburg, piano
    Isaac Albeniz – El Puerto (from Iberia), Sevilla (from Suite espanola No.1), both arranged for violin & piano
    — with Andre Mytnik, piano
    Claude Debussy – Il pleure dans mon coeur (from Ariettes oubliees) — with Nina Kogan, piano
    Henry Vieuxtemps – Rondino (from 3 Morceaux de salon) — with Vladimir Yampolski, piano
    Pablo de Sarasate – Malaguena Op.21 — with Abram Marakov, piano

2. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Now been listening to the set of Op. 18 songs from this recording through Spotify, the first time I've heard any Hindemith music in this particular genre (voice and piano):

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Orchestral-Songs-Lieder-Paul-Hindemith/dp/B000001RZT

Score at:
    http://imslp.us/php/linkhandler.php?path=/scores/Hindemith_Paul_1963/Hindemith - 8 Lieder, Op. 18 (voice and piano).pdf

This is probably Hindemith at his most freely experimental and is an interesting summary of the numerous stylistic paths he was exploring during this time. We now see him delving into atonality for the first time in several of the songs, and even the more clearly tonal ones (with the exception of the folksy second) unlike most other pieces up to this point which had ended emphatically on a clearly defined cadence no matter how advanced the music had got earlier, end on unresolved dissonances or tonal centres different from the start. But they still aren't as complex or dissonant as the 2nd Viennese stuff post-1908, being more the vocal equivalent of Bartok's Bagatelles - fragmentary, aphoristic, more like sketches than fully fleshed out compositions, and the mood is predominantly dreamy and introspective, closer to impressionist than expressionist - the closest successor I can think of is the gentler parts of the Suite 1922. Quite a beautiful and haunting set, and yet another side of Hindemith's art that is sadly largely unknown to the wider public.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am still using my XP desktop since I rarely use my Windows 7 laptop to access the forum ...

4. coopmv

The stereo layer of your hybrid SACD ...

5. coopmv

Lately, I have noticed more and more CD's are available only by track and download, not good ... :realmad:

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

A friend directed me to this comprehensive survey of the recordings of the Beethoven Quartets:

[link edited - see this post]

Here's a quick excerpt from the end:

The final judgment

To sum up, no collection of Beethoven quartets should be without the Busch records, which consistently rise to heights rarely scaled since. I would counsel making the Endellion Quartet package, on Warner Classics, the first choice for a modern digital cycle, not just because it is so complete and so scholarly, but because the playing by Messrs Andrew Watkinson, Ralph de Souza, Garfield Jackson and David Waterman is always worthy of the music. The Quartetto Italiano cycle on Philips has special qualities of humanity and sheer beauty; and the Lindsays’ first cycle, now on the Resonance label, gets to the heart and soul of Beethoven. I had not intended this article to be a flag-waving exercise, but if you throw in the two fine performances of late quartets by the Fitzwilliam, the British come out of it rather well.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
  7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

No - the SACD layer. Actually the disc I tested with was a single layer disc.

8. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Here's another Hindemith work I've been listening to via Spotify, yet again something different and testimony to his amazing ability to constantly reinvent himself for whatever medium or context:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E1YW7Q/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

And here's the link to the full and vocal scores:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/Die_junge_Magd,_Op.23b_(Hindemith,_Paul)

It says something about the work's intent that as late as 1922 he uses a key signature for the opening song, for the music, despite its use of the odd characteristic dissonance, is much more harmonically and tonally simple than most of the music he'd written up to this point. The songs are in a gentle, mainly mellifluous, lyrical and pastoral vein with folk-like melodies that recalls Vaughan Williams rather than Bartok, infused with an intimate glow through its very attractive scoring for string quartet, flute and clarinet, frequently using "Ruhig" in their tempo markings and producing the kind of transcendental music that we associate with such an indication in Hindemith's best work. This is a really beautiful set that deserves to be better known.

9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig Van Beethoven – Piano Sonata No.23 in F minor, Op.57 "Appassionata", No.18 in E flat, Op.31 No.3 "The Hunt"
    Arthur Rubinstein, 1945-46 (RCA Victor Red Seal)

[​IMG]

10. George P

I love these retro covers, alankin1, are they the ones used in the box?

11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Yes. I was originally a bit cynical about "original jackets" boxes -- it seemed a bit of a marketing ploy, but I've changed my mind. I enjoy seeing the old covers and it's also a good memory aid for those with visual memories...

(OT: I can't say how many times I've purchased a duplicate because they've changed the cover artwork!)

sgb likes this.
  12. George P

I am still buying up used copies (often for 3.99 a pop) of the early Rubinstein recordings, as issued in the AR collection the first time around. I love that book design, the thick paper used for the notes - even the font is cool!! And the mono Rubinstein recordings are special. On top of all that the Ward Marston masterings are superb!

sgb likes this.
  13. coopmv

There is software out there that allows you to rip the SACD layer? This is new to me ...

14. coopmv

The Busch records? They must be all in mono ...

15. George P

Yep!

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

You also need the correct hardware, a PS3 with an older version of the firmware.

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

18. john greenwood

Doing my second now. It's slow, but relatively easy once you're set up. If the Yankees were competitive, I'd be watching baseball, and ripping discs.

One problem for classical listeners is that gapless playback (between tracks) is not supported in the ripping process. I may need to learn more about "CUE" files. My current strategy, however, is to rip my non-classical discs first and hope that the software developer solves the problem (it's apparently on his agenda) , before I get to classical. I have a lot of jazz SACDs and a number of popular music SACDs as well.

PH416156 likes this.
  19. coopmv

Is it quite affordable? I certainly do not have any chamber music in mono ...

20. coopmv

Frankly, I do not find this too practicable since I only listen to my SACD's on a Yamaha universal player, which is a home player. It certainly seems like a lot of work doing the ripping and I only have about 400 SACD's, a little over 5% of my entire CD collection.

21. George P

Not sure, I bought mine (on the Pearl label) quite a while ago.

22. john greenwood

Just a heads-up. I got a virus warning when I went to that page. McAfee said I had a Trojan and I just finished rebooting. Now starting a full scan.

23. john greenwood

I've gotten so used to listening via streaming that I found myself overlooking my SACDs or playing the ripped redbook layer. I bought a new hard drive as well, and I will plug that into my Oppo, which can read the files making my SACDs will be equally available.

I will also consider getting a DAC that reads the files for use with my main system.

I have about 400 SACDs as well. They make up a significant portion of my jazz library in particular.

24. George P

Thank you, I have just reported the post and ask the Gorts to remove all appearances of that link from this thread.

Luckily, I have copied the entire article and made a Word Document out of it. And I scanned it with two programs to be sure it is safe. It can be downloaded here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/olhkd4

25. john greenwood

You never know. Simply my experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.