I Love My FYE

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by japes, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Something tells me that I think we looked throuh the same rack, because that copy of PISCES sounds MIIIIIIIGGHTY familiar! Nice score on the Valens!

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I went back yesterday and nabbed an original "Here's Little Richard" for $2.99! Best part - buy two get one for $1 (used deal in effect for vinyl).

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

What the....my local FYE has a nice little Audio Fidelity display with assorted gold and SACDs!

heepsterandrey likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Someone showed a picture of that kind of display in another thread - can't remember which thread, though. Either you went to the same FYE or they're making a push across the chain...

5. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

The store where I took a picture was in the Crossgates mall in Guilderland, NY. Right outside Albany.

6. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Over the weekend I noticed the large FYE store at Arundel Mills Mall (in MD) was closed. I don't go to that mall very often, so I was a little disappointed that I potentially missed out on a 'store closing' sale.... only to see that right around the corner they had reopened in a much smaller space. They were even promoting a "Grand Opening" sale, which was amusing... like having a housewarming party in your new efficiency apartment when you used to live in a McMansion. I was always surpised that they had a store that large, it wrapped around a corner in a nice spot across from the movie theater and actually had two entrances it was so big. I honestly can't remember if I ever made a purchase there or not (maybe once) though and this time was no exception (sealing their used CD's made the place very unappealing to me).

7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

There used to be an FYE in the Bayshore mall across the street from my parents place. I remember on one visit they had a pretty large section of old "Strawberrys" stock and everything was $1.88. I bought about 75 CDs that day. This was about 7 years ago.

8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

This reminds me why I'm not a fan of the chain. Their parent organization (Trans Union) bought up, consolidated, and ruined a bunch of local chains. Strawberries and Popcorn were two of the gobbled companies in New England; I'm sure there were others across the country. The rebranding to FYE came later.

9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I'm aware of Levy's story and involvement with Strawberries; Tommy James' book is very interesting as it relates to his relationship with Levy. My post had to do more with the vibe of the various music chains that Trans Union acquired. In their day, both Strawberries and Popcorn were 'mini' versions of Tower, especially since their heyday occurred before Tower opened up in Mass.

11. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I also posted this in the coupons, discounts, and sales subforum, but I'll chime in again here. A local Coconuts (sister store of FYE) had an Audio Fidelity display in store this morning with both redbook and SACD titles for $19.99 to $24.99. It might be worth checking out for those looking to find copies in a brock & mortar.

12. Thesmellofvinyl

FYE, on the day after Christmas, has sometimes put out budget CDs and discounted Christmas items. Other years, the Christmas items simply vanish. Has anyone heard what type of sale items might be coming this year (in the morning)?

13. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

went to 1 in suburban chicago today. Holiday stuff was present and 50% off. also some clearance stuff was 1/2 off.as ususal an interesting mix in clearance--got a bethlehem jazz cd and a fuel label herbie mann best of for $2.50 each

14. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Mine is in the middle of a liquidation sale -- after they're gone my local mall will have zero stores for CD's. :shrug:

The indies are still alive and kicking, so far....

15. Thesmellofvinyl

Same at the one near me, dr jazz. The used CDs and DVDs are buy-one-get-one-for-a-dollar. I found a couple of things and a few Christmas CDs, including the new Nick Lowe. I was hoping to get it on vinyl at half price but either someone beat me to it or they pulled it.

16. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Palmer Park?

17. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Oxford Valley Mall, in Langhorne. Was there today and it's still 30 to 50% off (mostly 30%) - will try to pop over there weekly to see when they get to 70%+ off.

18. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

You guys are lucky. The one by me is completely overpriced, has little to no stock and has incredibly rude and obnoxious staff. Yet I still manage to waste my money there.

19. Thesmellofvinyl

I made someone's day at an FYE today. Pointed out the the $92 sticker on George Harrison's Brainwashed deluxe edition was supposed to be on the Dark Horse Years box, which was sporting Brainwashed's $10 tag. I was there checking for used Beatles U.S. Albums CDs. None yet.

20. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

The stores in my area are terrible.Everything is way overpriced,damaged,the staff keeps pestering everybody.Good ridence FYE I have no use for you!Close all of your stores Ha Ha Ha!:evil:

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I stopped in Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi, MI today, and the FYE is gone. The Foot Locker next door is expanding into the space that FYE had occupied.

22. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I live out in the new CD/DVD wasteland, and don't understand comments like these. Unlike you with Newbury Comics (I presume), we have next-to-nothing in Chicago for new media. Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Target, and Walmart are pretty much it except for the few surviving FYEs (oh, and one Fry's Electronics). So, I'm glad they're still around as an option.

I buy a lot of TV-show DVDs, and often there's different packaging (like Mad Men, which always debuts with a bulky set before the slimcase version I prefer is released). It's just easier to buy DVDs like these in stores as opposed to taking a chance with Amazon and getting one of those space-hogging original sets, or e-mailing a bunch of Marketplace and eBay sellers to see what version they're selling. FYE stocks more new DVDs than anyone else around (though not as many as they used to), and often has good deals if you're patient or walk in at the right time.

And last week they had the new Neil Finn CD for $9.99, so I didn't have to go to Amazon and figure out what else to order for $25.01 to get free shipping.

Plus, closed stores mean more lost jobs and mall space that sits vacant except for seasonal tenants like Halloween stores and tax-preparation services.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The people that say good riddance to any store should be forced to live in the middle of butt **** nowhere and see how it feels to have to rely on mail order for everything.

24. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Yup. If something's overpriced, I just walk past it. Not EVERYTHING at FYE (or Barnes & Noble) costs too much, and it's nice to get something without having to order it and wait for the mailman. And, in my case with the DVDs, not have to go through a lot of hassle to make sure I get what I want.

25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Sorry if I`m being a little harsh.I just never had any good experiences with FYE just frustrating ones all the time.I stopped going to FYE completely.
    Sorry you don`t have any good stores out there you`re right,I don`t know what`s that`s like.Is it really that tough?Maybe I really don`t realize how good I have it.Around here even when one of my FYE stores was having a liquidation sale there was nothing worth buying.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.