SH Spotlight Adventures in Mastering: First album by AMERICA on SACD for Audio Fidelity:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

The first one is gonna be a stone smash for Audio Fidelity. Just tell Marshall you need to order up the tapes for Homecoming right now. It was originally released in December,1972 - it's always been an "autumn/winter" album for me. With any luck, you can get it out in time for its 41st anniversary!

ultron9 and Grant like this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! All this time I was let to believe there was no Dolby used on this album. Maybe no one ever got it right, or they didn't use the first generation tapes?

Whatev...I am stoked about getting this album! I also love it. I didn't grow up with any more than the hits, but learned it in the last couple of years.

Forum member Doug Sclar once explained just how vital ear-tweaking is, and I agree with him.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Who led you to believe that? Can't imagine it would come up in conversation..

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Just the notice on the back of the older WB CDs, you know, the usual disclaimer that says that the album was recorded prior to the use of modern...something.

5. Steve Hoffman

Ah, that old bullsheet!

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I am SO excited about this. Listened to them while still in Chicago, 1972, bought the cassette in Autum in Nashville. disappointed by the WB CD somewhere around the late 90s, bought a nice clean vinyl copy in our classifieds a few years ago, and now this.

7. Steve Hoffman

The old WB CD sounds OK, what was your problem with it exactly?

8. Myke

Yeah, they got the high resolution part wrong too.

9. Myke

Sounded harsh, compared to the vinyl. Just my opinion. Just as your Gorilla sounded warmer, and not as metallic as the WB. Might just be these stubborn old ears.

10. Steve Hoffman

The sound of Trident Studios, UK, the King of Klang. Think ZIGGY STARDUST, etc. Cut through on those old Tannoy monitors, I guess.

Can't change history.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Don't think I have any interest in America. The only song of theirs that I know (afaik) is "Horse With No Name", and I really dislike it. Until a few years ago, I thought that was a Neil Young song. Listening to the clips from the album at Amazon now to get an idea of what they are like, but so far I don't hear anything I'd want to listen to. But even if I pass on this title, I really appreciate how much effort you put into making these releases sound as good as possible. And I like reading about your process. Thanks for posting this info!

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

You've made your displeasure known several times now on different threads. Not quite sure why.

13. Myke

Steve your recent work sounds every bit as warm, and detailed as the old DCC CDs sound. It's really a pleasure to listen to these.

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I bought the original Warner Bros. CD of "America's Greatest Hits - History" (WB 3220-2), produced by George Martin, in the used CD racks at a store in Memphis. I imagine the original tape was used for the tracks from the 1st album, but I have no way of knowing. All I do know is that I was really impressed with this old CD - a very nice sound. That's the only album by America I have, but I'm looking forward to the AF disc.

15. Steve Hoffman

Geoff, those are ALL remixes. I did not use those versions.

ultron9 likes this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not displeasure, just lack of excitement about this particular title. I don't expect to like everything AF puts out. I've bought several AF titles of artists I didn't consider myself a fan of. Some I've ended up liking, some I didn't. I still love the work you do and like knowing that if I get something outside of my normal interest, at least I don't have to worry about whether the sound quality is wanting.

Regginold31 likes this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As Steve mentioned (and I believe some other people earlier in the thread) George Martin did very different mixes of the songs from the first two albums on History. FWIW, I like his mix of "I Need You" more than the original but much prefer the original "Horse."

ultron9 likes this.
  18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Since the original album didn't have A Horse with No Name (it was added after the 45 became a hit) will the AF include it? Was it on the master reels or did you receive a separate reel with it and have to re-sequence it to replicate the "hit" version of the album.
    Looking forward to this one. My promo copy has been my go to version for years and now having a great digital copy will be wonderful.

19. Myke

Listening to the vinyl now...that bass lick on Sandman...I just know my sub on the other setup is going to love the AF !!! :agree:

ultron9 likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

You're hearing an 8k roll off on your vinyl, dude. The tapes sound nothing like the LP.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I was curious about this too but the photos he posted at the top of this thread show that Horse was on the side one reel.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Steve, thanks mate. I am in for a treat.

Notwithstanding, I'm going to put it on right now to remind myself of their music.

23. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Riverside, Sandman, Three Roses, Here, Never Found The Time, Donkey Jaw and ending with the iconic Pigeon Song. It's like a greatest hits record, imo.

fortherecord likes this.
  24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks, Steve. Thought so, but I'm glad that you use the original analog tapes (but not surprised, of course).

25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I cannot think of how anyone could think they're hearing Neil Young.

People are a trip!!

elborak and Myke like this.