SH Spotlight Adventures in Mastering: First album by AMERICA on SACD for Audio Fidelity:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Agreed. I do not hear Neil Young when I hear "A Horse with No Name".

2. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Steve, thanks SO much for this release. This was a wonderful part of my senior year in high school and it will be wonderful to hear it again. Given my current lousy financial situation, I may not be able to buy it right away but I'll figure out how to get a copy somehow.

abescan and Andy Boyd like this.
  3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Denial is not just a river in Egypt!

IIRC even Neil's dad thought it was one of his son's songs....

Homage or ripoff or accidental soundalike, it's still a great song (on a great album).

4. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

I'm in for this one. Can't wait to hear it and the first Poco album, too!

5. thxdave

So, does this mean that "innuendo" is NOT an Italian suppository?

Stone Turntable likes this.
  6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It is their best album by a long shot IMO, Homecoming was also excellent but we already had a DVD Audio version of that album. Glad this one was chosen.

ultron9 likes this.
  7. thxdave

I've also loved "Holiday" but it was hard to find for a while; only available as import.

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Holiday, Hat Trick, Hearts and Homecoming were originally only available via Japan Imports at first (WPCP series?) The Hearts disc did have a bonus track IIRC. Funny that only S/T was available in North America at the time.

9. evad

evad Well-Known Member

This isn't the thread you are looking for.......
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, jriems, dhoffa85 and 6 others like this.
  10. WackyTobacky

WackyTobacky Member

This is one of the most underrated albums ever made. This will no doubt smoke all past releases, which we have come to expect from Audio Fidelity.

ultron9 likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Friday Music LP is a pile of, er, is not very good. Extremely flat vinyl, and extremely flat sound. Looks pretty...

12. KeithH

I still don't hear it.

13. KeithH

:D

14. Grego

Grego Forum Resident

Quick question Steve around your last paragraph.

Once again we did a split feed, to the DSD master and to the CD master with no steps in-between for the purest sound reproduction possible. The DSD version goes off to Gus Skinas at Super Audio Center and we don't really get to hear it again until it comes back from overseas. The CD version we can hear and when I get the check disk tomorrow I'll probably make a few little adjustments regarding level from song to song and yes, Marsh will have to thread the tape back up and make the substitutions but that's show biz.

If you make a few adjustments from the CD check disk, do you run both the CD and DSD all over again? I imagine you would redo both, just curious as you don't hear the DSD version for a while.

15. mshare

mshare Forum Resident

Very much looking forward to this one - always loved the sound of the strumming acoustic guitars as Riverside kicks in. Horse With No Name is actually one of my least favorite tracks on the (reissued) album, and it isn't helped by the level mismatch between it and the rest of the album.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    Rufus McDufus likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yes.

17. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I love Horse with no name but we did call it Horse with no Neil at the time.

18. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Yeah?

19. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Hi, I have A question.
    I love America first album, but I already have it on mini LP version from Japan (WPCR-12678).
    I guess its the remaster version - dose anybody know if it consider to be of good sound quality? or that, once again, upgrading is in order...
    thank you !

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Trust me, Keith, 40 years ago a lot of people did (me too, as a teenager). Consider the times, and the recent assault of "Old man" and "Heart of Gold" on the airwaves...nobody had heard of America before and we nothing else to compare it to :agree:

21. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Steve, thanks for this new installment of Adventures...!
    About Dolby A, I know it's such a PITA to set up. To align it so perfectly that you can't hear it working is the holy grail and I thank you for always getting that stuff bang on.

22. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Steve, I just put on the album and I am amazed at how accurately you described nuances of the music and various touch stones. I think we are all very grateful to have historic albums remastered by sympathetic ears.

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I really can't wait for this disc. I'm very excited.

24. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Scott Young, Neil's dad, thought it was him.

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve, your experience is identical to mine. Dolby NR in any flavor is annoying to deal with. On a 1/2 track reel recorded competently, you do not need NR. And I despise dbx even more than I do Dolby. Easy for a dbx unit with problems to make an unplayable tape with no controls to adjust to compensate. And to compound the issue, some home tape machine makers insisted on using the wrong dbx type for the machine they made (Akai and Teac, you are guilty).

ultron9 likes this.