SH Spotlight Adventures in Mastering: First album by AMERICA on SACD for Audio Fidelity:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Steve, when you say "the original mix", are you referring to the 45 version? What mix of Horse is on the original album? The WB cd?

2. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

The Japan mini LP is the only version I have ever owned. (Well, we had some America, maybe just Greatest Hits, on 8-tracks that we played in our cars). I don't know about others opinions of the mini LP but I think it sounds fantastic! My interest in listening to America was rekindled when their albums were released as Japan Mini LPs and I have really been enjoying them. Long story short, I think the Japan Mini LP version is fantastic. Even so, I'm most inclined to buy the SACD and place it inside the cardboard sleeve case. That's how I roll.

I'm sure I'll post my impressions when the SACD arrives, and it will be in comparison to the Japan Mini LP. Looking forward to it.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve, I am happy you found your collaborator who makes your vision into what you desire and makes it happen. They are hard to find, too many will impose their house sound on you. And Get In Your Way. When you find someone who has your goals in mind and can be useful about creative feedback that engineer is worth Gold. And when you do, a relationship of lasting quality forms. My feeling from being around the Forum for some time is, Steve's partner engineer must be an extension of Steve. He must provide useful feedback, he must be a useful extension of Steve. And therefore knows the sound quality Steve wants and how to accomplish it. Otherwise, that partner is a hindrance. That partner and Steve can make musical masterings of great recordings we can listen to the rest of our lives without fatigue and keep the Breath of Life.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    Steve Hoffman likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The stereo album version, of course. The first generation Morgan tape.

5. WackyTobacky

WackyTobacky Member

I may have to call in "sick" to work the day this is released, one of my favorites and it is a dream come true to have an audiophile release mastered by Steve/Audio Fidelity.

6. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

I re-acquainted myself with some of the songs on this album I'd forgotten, via YouTube and such. Wow, what a feast of acoustic guitars! I definitely want this remaster now.

Interesting the comments about Trident studios. My recollection is that some early Elton John was recorded there. Rush's Permanent Waves and Hemispheres were mixed there, I believe. Presumably those recordings have similar issues. I haven't ordered the AF Hemispheres yet, but will probably do so this week.

7. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I had a 45 of "Horse With No Name" when I was a kid and the flip was "Everyone I Meet Is From California". Was this song only available on the single?

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not to get too far off-topic, but what is the catalog number for the mini-LP version of Homecoming, and how does it sound? I recently found an earlier Japanese issue in a jewel case with catalog number WPCP-4494, and it sounds fine, but it is my only version on CD. I see a mini-LP version on eBay with catalog number WPCR-12679.

9. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

WPCR-12679 is the mini LP.

:wave:

10. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Great song. It didn't appear on an album until America - Encore: More Greatest Hits (CD version) on Rhino. It's also on The Complete Greatest Hits (2 cds) and Highway: 30 Years of America (box set).

11. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

The stereo album mix of Horse With No Name is the same version that appears on the original 45. The original LP and 45 versions both have running times around 4:10. I believe Steve used "original mix" to distinguish the original version of the song that appeared on America's debut LP from the George Martin remixed version which first appeared on the History/America's Greatest Hits LP.

If I recall correctly, Horse With No Name did appear on America's self-titled LP in the USA but not on first pressings of the album in the UK.

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Keith, while I have always loved the songs "I Need You" and "Sandman", from that debut album, it was when I first heard that brilliant opening of "Ventura Highway" on "Homecoming", that my real love of AMERICA started. The debut album while very good, has never stuck with me, as much as every album since during their Warner Bros. years. Like all things A.F. related, we all can only hope that this sells and that they move forward with some of the later albums. I will add, that I also have that Japanese regular issue CD and the DVD-A of "Homecoming" and they BOTH sound pretty damn smooth!

13. KeithH

I saw it was a mini-LP CD but wasn't sure if it was the only one out there.

14. KeithH

Thanks, Chris. I have and love the Homecoming DVD-Audio disc. The forthcoming SACD of the debut album will be my first version of it.

I'll give the WPCP-4494 Homecoming disc a listen tonight. Any idea if it has a different mastering than the U.S. CD?

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You know, somewhere around here I also have the U.S. CD pressing that was released on Warner Archives, but, going by the fact that I know exactly where that Japanese WPCP-4494 CD is, I'd have to say that I like the sound of it better than the U.S. pressing

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It wasn't on first U.S. pressings either. This is why most U.S. LPs have side one marked "RE1."

I Love Music likes this.
  17. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Oh, I must have been confused. I thought you were asking if that one was the mini LP, which by the way is indeed the only one out there (it, however, was re-pressed last year after the initial run in 2007).

:wave:

18. KeithH

Thanks for the info. I believe the WPCP-4494 disc is from the '90s when many Japanese issues were still being mastered well.

No problem, and thanks for confiming that it is the only mini-LP release.

19. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Thanks for the information.
    Any chance Steve will add it in as a "Bonus Track"?

20. TimM

TimM Senior Member

One of my top 50 albums of all time, so this is great news. Anytime someone started one of those threads about albums we wished Steve would work on, this was always on my list.

WackyTobacky likes this.
  21. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

It is included, per the recent email announcement I got from Elusive Disc as cut number five. I am thinking it will be on there.

[​IMG]

I listened to Homecoming, the Japan Mini LP is question, just last night. I'm not a guy who contrasts and compares different issues. I get the one I want and don't house multiple copies of the same album. If I get an upgraded version, such as the topic of this thread, I'll house that inside the Japan Mini LP cardboard sleeve and mothball the original disc inside the new jewel case. Anyhow, I think all these America Japan Mini LPs sound great!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  22. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Homecoming is my favorite album from the 70s.

23. mshare

mshare Forum Resident

Also included on the Rhino 2 disc "America The Definitive Pop Collection" from 2006.

24. KeithH

Thanks for all the info.

MisterBritt likes this.
  25. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I was referring to "Everyone I Meet Is From California". Sorry for the confusion.