The Monkees "Headquarters" Deluxe Edition - Friday Music version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

I just got the new Friday Music re-release of The Monkees "Headquarters" Deluxe Edition. I thought I'd post a few pictures - yes, it's in a jewel case - and discuss the sound quality. I haven't popped it in yet to see if it's any kind of different mastering but I'll do that later tonight.

I must say the photo quality is better for this one - the cover looks very nice and doesn't look like a photo copy like the previous Friday releases. Also, there's a picture of what looks like the master tape in the background on the first page of the booklet. Here's hoping Friday tamed the treble a bit for this release.

More later on the sound.

Attached Files:

2. BeatleStair

Two more photos

Attached Files:

3. 905

905 Senior Member

Thank you
    I wonder if the first two albums will be reissued soon.

4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

What are the mastering credits?

5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Well, I'm glad to see this, even though I got the Rhino 2-CD versions of the first four when they came out. I had read that they were going to reissue them, but until I saw this thread I hadn't heard a release date. Anyway, very cool that they'll be out there to be discovered by those who missed them last time around.

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Friday Music. Bet mastering's the same.

Darryl

7. BeatleStair

Wow, just got done playing the two discs. I'm excited to say - it's NOT the same mastering!!! I played each of the two discs from the new Friday reissue and then compared them to the Rhino Handmade from 2006 and this new reissue is CLEARLY the winner! For all those who disliked the treble and compression of the Handmade version, this version is MUCH warmer and quieter.

Sounds like Friday either remastered the album or more likely took the transfers Andrew made and didn't add compression. This is one time I CLEARLY preferred the newer Friday version. More bass, less treble and very clean sounding. Even the bonus tracks sounded quieter than the Rhino Handmade version.

I also noticed that Friday took off the reissued produced by Andrew and Bill Inglot credit as well.

Another interesting point, the times on the discs are different to Rhino's 2006 version leading me to believe they're not digital clones. Here's the timing of the two sets in my Sony CD player:

Rhino Handmade 2006
    Disc 1 - 60:30
    Disc 2 - 65:19

Friday Music
    Disc 1 - 59.53
    Disc 2 - 64.57

This is also the first time I can say that the cover photo and artwork looks like it was taken from the best sources possible. I compared the artwork side by side and Friday's looked better than the Rhino Handmade version - the first time for that!

I can honestly say that this new version sounds GREAT! If you like Headquarters than you need this version. It's much warmer and has fuller bass and doesn't sound like it has the treble boost that the Rhino version has. Of course, I'd love to know what others think so I hope someone else buys it and reports what they find. This one clearly sounds better to me.

Also, in the Friday notes it says and I quote "impeccably mastered to sound as warm and exciting as you remember back in 1967" and "relive these newly impeccably mastered recordings" - this time I think it's absolutely true! Even the liner notes aren't full of the hype that earlier Friday releases had.

Buy it and report what you think here! I am VERY impressed with this new release and look forward to reissues of the other three Monkees Deluxe Editions if they're as nice sounding as this one!!!

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Guess I'll rebuy this one.

9. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Is Fiday releasing the others DE too?

Darryl

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I'll be ordering it at some point, but I'd like to see the price go down a bit.

12. Rubber Soul

Rubber Soul Well-Known Member

So I have to buy yet another version of Headquarters??!!! Thanks A lot!;) The cover does look rather nice and it's a Jewel Case. Is the booklet different than the Rhino Deluxe? When you say Handmade version is that the Headquarters Sessions you are comparing to? Also is the Rhino 2 Cd Version different sound wise to the Handmade Set? Thanks!:righton:

13. BeatleStair

I when I say the 2006 Rhino Handmade I mean the 2 CD Deluxe Edition that was released through Rhino Handmade (where I bought mine to get the free 45) as well as being available to buy in stores without the 45. The Headquarters 3 CD Sessions set came out in 2000. The Rhino 2 CD set has different sound to the 3 CD Sessions set. I think the Sessions set is less compressed/trebly than the 2006 2 CD set.

This new Friday reissue of the 2 CD set is warmer and much less treble sounding than the 2006 version. Very nice sounding - to me anyway.

Rubber Soul likes this.
  14. BeatleStair

Yes, the booklet says that they're reissuing "The Monkees", "More of the Monkees" as well as "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, Ltd."

goodiesguy likes this.
  15. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Where did that other 1:01 go??

16. BeatleStair

Weird, I know. This time they definitely sounded different to me. I think the Friday reissues of "Present" and "changes" had more bass but didn't sound extremely different to the Rhino versions. This new Headquarters really sounded warmer for sure - noticeably so.

17. BeatleStair

Oh, and the booklet is much smaller, just a fold out that's missing Andrew's detailed notes on the Headquarters sessions. This booklet has a description of each track and new liner notes by Friday Music and some new photos of various vinyl of Headquarters (see above) that Rhino's version didn't have.

18. BeatleStair

Another thing I noticed is that for the back cover of Headquarters, the new Friday version has both the bearded and regular version of the photo with the recording engineer and Chip Douglas. Both version had the RE to the side by the COS-103 as well.

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Great news about the sound. Since this is my favorite album of 1967 (you heard me) I guess I need to dip in again.

BeatleStair and 905 like this.
  20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I haven't heard the new version -- but one guess: the Rhino deluxe editions have a longer gap of silence in between the end of the last song on the "album proper" and the start of the bonus tracks. Maybe that spread is shorter on these new CDs? (But then why should anyone listen to me, or should I speak, since I know nothing?)

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  21. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Why am I not remembering a 45 with the 2-CD "Headquarters"? Was it the "Sally" single?

22. mmerone

mmerone Senior Member

Yeah, it was "Sally" backed with an alternate mix of "Daydream Believer" with no horn or string overdubs. Very nice. Probably my favorite of the 5 promo singles.

23. videoman

videoman Senior Member

That might be part of it. But I don't think there was a 30 second gap before the bonus tracks. I'd have to check.

24. smjblessing

smjblessing Active Member

Sounds like the time difference where you're losing over 1 minute might be that Friday took out the studio chatter in between the bonus tracks maybe ? Is this even possible for Friday Music to actually do a good reissue ? The Pool It one was lame and there was almost no difference in sound and the dvd was ripped from a VHS. The David Jones 1965 album was taken from vinyl (since tapes can't be found) and the mono mix was issued even though the packaging clearly states its in stereo ? Still no stereo on cd. The 1971 Davy Jones album was taken from vinyl, don't know why, since the image on the background of the booklet shows master tapes for the album. There image quality sources and artwork suck and look like they're getting stuff straight from low quality JPEG sources - check out the gatefold on the PRESENT vinyl. This claim is really hard to believe. By warmer do you mean it sounds more analog ? More like vinyl ? Cause that's what I usually think of when people say "warmer".

25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Picked this up today--agree that it sounds much warmer (less bright) than the Rhino 2 disc set. Have only played in the car but I think I'm going to be VERY happy with this set :agree:

fortherecord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.