Axiom Audio brand - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jordanb87, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been surprised at the relative absence of mentions on this forum of Axiom Audio gear. They're a small Canadian company, but then again the hi-fi world is full of tiny manufacturers that manufacture all over the world, not only in the US and UK. My local dealer spoke highly of the brand and said he used to carry their speaker line.

I have a pair of Axiom M3 v3 bookshelf speakers and I quite like them. They're the last thing in my system I would upgrade, I'm quite satisfied with them. Great value and great build quality, and at least one bookshelf speaker shootout (over on Audioholics, if I recall correctly) put them ahead of a set of Klipsch speakers that cost $150 more. I've seen shots of the speakers disassembled and was impressed at the apparent quality of the internals. I certainly think they are one of the top picks for under-$500 bookshelf speakers. I have no desire for a subwoofer after using these speakers for about 14 months, the 6.5" woofer does such a great job. Build quality is very high, as is customer service (they were quick to respond when I unboxed my new M3's and found one in black finish and one in cherry finish!).

So, I'm just wondering about other forum members' experiences with Axiom hardware. I'm especially curious if anyone owns one of their amps, or their flagship M100 and M80 floorstanding speakers.

dobyblue likes this.
  2. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Don't have their amps but I do have their interconnects on my surround system. Great people to deal with.

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I remember reading a recent review of their HT speaker system and it was highly recommended.

4. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

I am curious about the amps as well. Due to space restrictions I am considering a Class D amp so it won't get too hot and Axioms amps are intriguing

5. I have a pair of them from far back, picked up from Axiom as B-stock. They were excellent speakers for near-field applications, projecting a precise stereo image. Axioms tend to be brighter and more detailed than other speaker companies, so they will fit some systems better than others.

I may have gotten a lemon with my pair of M3s and been unlucky, but one of the woofers developed an annoying problem at certain frequencies. I basically had to shelve them for serious listening due to the problem.

6. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I own a pair of Axiom M22 speakers. I had them in my bedroom for several years, but recently started using them for TV sound and what amounts to my second system. I am shocked at how great at imaging they are, plus the bass is plenty deep. They surprise everyone who walks into the room. I believe they benefited from Canadian audio research. Yes, apparently a small brand, but who cares. I'm happy with them. I also use a D powered amp.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  7. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

One of the four or five speaker companies that sell to consumers on a direct basis.
    Knowing at least one of their engineers, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
    The engineering and manufacturing is solid.

8. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

That's what we have for our bedroom system! M22's, M2's for surrounds and a Vp100 center. These are really nice for music and movies. Canada makes some very impressive speakers!

I do think the M22's need a sub though, but they still sound better than a lot of higher priced speakers, that's for sure...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Their smaller speakers definitely require the addition of a sub.

10. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

Axiom with out a doubt are excellent speakers. I have heard the numerous times, and was always amazed. Their speakers pretty much out perform any double the price !
    Check out their website, they seem open and honest with nothing to hide and publish specs, and impedance curves. Lots of knowledge to be shared on their site ! Also they have some subs that could be used for capital punishment ! Axiom makes the bulk of their speakers in Canada...Not in a sweatshop over seas ! A rare thing these days !

DaverJ and motorcitydave like this.
  11. jordanb87

Sorry to hear that, have you considered sending them back to Axiom to be repaired? Their FAQ page details how to do this.

12. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I can't say why but in my room they seem to convey a balanced sound without one. Perhaps most of the films I'm watching have boosted low end. Of course, unless I hook one up, I can't say for certain.

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Good, solid speakers. Great bang for the buck.

14. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

they look interesting

15. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Bryston chose them as OEM for their line of speakers and they sound fabulous. Never heard Axiom speakers though.

RichardJMartin and motorcitydave like this.
  16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I bought a pair of Axioms a few years ago. M60i IIRC. They are in the living room and since my wife spends 80% of her time watching her tv, I have not had any chance to play that stereo system in over a half dozen years ... :sigh:

motorcitydave likes this.
  17. motorcitydave

I haven't heard the Bryston speakers. That's cool that they sound that good. They look good on paper.

18. motorcitydave

That sucks. You must have liked them when you bought them!

19. Biggar

Biggar New Member

I have a truck load of Axiom gear. In terms of 2channel audio, I have owned M80s Nd now own M100s. My wife had a fit when I traded up to the M100s. She says that she cannot tell the difference. I certainly can tell the difference. The M100s have a low that feels at times as tough it's pulling you through the floor! I don't for a minute mean ha it's boomy. It's deadly accurate - it's just bass notes from whatever source that you are using. I don't think that the M80s need a subwoofer although people have been know to pair them with a sub. There is absolutely and I mean absolutely no need to pair the M100 with a sub. At the same time, I'm mainly a classical music and jazz afictionado, so great subtlety is a huge necessity. It's there with the M100s. I have very few criticisms - if I have one it is the following; play "Derams" from the Fleetwood Mac album Rumors. At the very beginning, Stevie Nicks hums, "mmmm", I have heard speakers on which the hum is audible, it is barely audible on either the M80 or the M100. The instrument that I feel closest to is the piano, it can make me weep. Listening to piano music on the Axiom speakers is a huge treat however, again, I have heard speakers through which the ring of the piano note carries through to the end, it's a real live prolonged note as one would expect from a grand piano in a good recording studio. That extended note is sometimes a little short on the Axioms.

Now, the speakers that I am referring to as being "better" than the Axioms are Sonus Faber Venere 3.0. As we all know, Sonus are in another snack bracket altogether. Actually, I think that they are twice the price of the M100 and almost 3 times the price of the M80.

In my media room, I have two M22s up front , four QS4s, one VP100 and a EP350.

Frankly, I cheat with all of this stuff. Insofar as the media room is oncerned, I amplify with an Anthem MRX 500 and use their ARC system. The room sounds like an IMAX theatre. Downstairs, I have the ultimate in heresy, I use an Audiolab MDAC and a QSPeaker Anti-Mode room correction DAC. The room correction turns the bass into an all room physical body experience. Audiophiles would faint - I just want he effect.

You want to pay more, pay more but this stuff is for real!

20. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i love my axiom speakers on my downstairs system. no complaints and their customer service is excellent as someone mentioned earlier.

21. coopmv

My Axiom M60's are now over 10 year old ...

22. coopmv

Axiom Audio offers good values for the money and provides first rate customer service. Apparently, it also worked with Bryston in the design of the new Bryston speakers. :righton:

23. Stillwater

Stillwater New Member

I have owned a pair of the M3's for almost 8 years that I used to replace some Energy 2.2 speakers when one of them bit the dust. Shipping was fast and easy and paid approx. $365 for the pair.
    Bought them essentially on the reviews and the price. Immediately noticed that they did not quite equal the 2.2. A little more laid back and not quite as detailed was my impression. Still they had decent sound and excellent build quality.

But they never really grabbed me. The final straw was when I went to Best Buy and picked up a pair of the Precision Accoustics mini speakers for $100. These little speakers actually put the M3's to shame. The highs were more open and the even the bass was punchier, which amazed me, due to the much smaller woofer on the PA speakers. Those little babies were a steal at that price.

Axiom is now asking around $525 for these speakers now, which I think just sinks their value immensely. There are much better speakers out there for less. I am now listening to KEF Q500's and am kind of kicking myself for putting up with the Axioms as long as I did.

Still the company itself is great IMO, its just that for an internet direct business, the value per dollar on their product has gone down IMO.

24. jordanb87

Interesting about your impressions of the M3's vs. the $100 speakers. What generation of M3 did you have? I have the M3v3 and I'm happy with them, but haven't heard a ton of other bookshelf speakers in their price range. I agree with you that the newest gen of M3s are now a bit overpriced, I paid well under $400 just 3 years ago.

Agitater likes this.
  25. coopmv

I read somewhere that Axiom actually collaborated with Bryston and helped the latter design its new line of speakers. It was in the spirit of cooperation in Canada. I have a pair of Axiom M60's, which I purchased over ten years ago. They were good values then for under $1000 USD, though the current iteration are selling for almost $1500 ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.