Any Butthole Surfers fans or collectors on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cake, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Cake

Cake Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, the Tijuana show was insane! The Buttholes got beaten up by the Mexican police after their set after Paul Leary threw a beer at the soundguy. It was chaos from that point on, man!

That's what I am hoping for! Another volume of HDLSD and a box set would make us Buttheads very happy!

I used to trade tapes with this guy in Belgium who had amazing unreleased live Butthole shows. and YES! James B is a friend and a fellow tape trader from many moons past ago. Good guy and keeps the Buttholes legacy going!

Who knows? Anything is possible! I have a feeling they could still put out another album and do a short tour....or maybe I am hoping for too much!

Keep the flame going and YES...some of my tapes were used for the "Hole Truth" boot cd that the Buttholes released themselves via Trance-Syndicate (King's label). Paul came up to me at a show once and said "It was you, right?!" and I said "Maybe!" and then he said "Well, we got pre-orders for 80,000 copies of it!" Too bad I never saw a cent! Ha!

GerryO, Dino and CowboyBob like this.
  2. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Good work! 80k is a great number pre-Pepper. I enjoyed that cd, I actually found it on the shelves at Sound Exchange on 21st street in Austin when it trickled out on the Totanka label. Bought it for $25 sealed. I seemed to remember that one of the guys (was it King?) was really perturbed with the black market, which makes sense that he'd want to release it on his own label. If the Buttholes are dragging their feet getting an archive comp out perhaps you could lend your services and offer to help go through their vaults and put something together!!

Dan and Cake like this.
  3. Cake

Well, I kinda did that in the summer of 2011. I had all of the live Buttholes shows transferred from cassette to DVD-A without a computer (my friend did this for free, basically) and so we gave him the entire one hundred hours of live Buttholes on DVD-audio after a show in August 2011. I never heard back from him except once when I asked him if he had listened to any of it and he just said "Nahh. Not yet." so who knows? I'm hoping for the best!

4. Gibbytronix

Gibbytronix New Member

Hi guys, first post here. My name's Brad and I'm from Dallas, Tx. I've been a BHS fan for 27 years and seen them play around 30 times. I'm very active on their forum and known as Textripppen there. If you're interested you can also find me on Fb as Brad Wthrd.

I've had a BHS tribute band called Sweatloaf for almost five years. We have a five piece band, a dancer, a light show w/ technician, and a film collage artist. We have films that were actually used in live performances by BHS. We've played half the dive bars in DFW as well as a couple swanky joints and a hippie rave outside Dripping Springs. We have about 40 songs and are working on new ones all the time. My rig consists of two DOD digital delays, a KAOSS pad, a bullhorn, and an iPod for playing the samples on 22 Going On 23. I'm about to rig up a sampler for other noises, such as the ones used in Lady Sniff and the bells in To Parter.

We wear costumes and I usually fill my wig with up to 400 clothes pins. It weighs around 10 lbs. and when I shake my head they do fly off of it.

We also have stage antics. I frequently throw confetti with cockroaches printed on it, tear up huge stuffed animals and throw the stuffing around, shoot a 12 ga shotgun as well as a starter pistol, and of course there's the Flaming Cymbal. I've got some tricks with blood up my sleeve to be worked in soon.

We do all of this out of love for The Butthole Surfers and their music and lifestyle. We promote them as much as possible and are in touch with them for technical help. We believe that young people who see us live will look beyond Pepper and may become true fans of BHS. Nothing would make us happier than that. We've been referred to as "the pocket Butthole Surfers" because we set up such a faithful replica of their show in the tiniest of venues. We've packed our show onto stages the size of drum risers, lol.

I'm working to get a Ween tribute off the ground also.

Nice to meet you guys,
    Love,
    Brad

5. Cake

You, too, brother! And this is Cake from the Buttholes' forum, too, so we are already brothers united online! Great to hear about your Butthole's cover band, man! Keep it goin and let me know if you ever play in Los Angeles!!

6. Gibbytronix

Gibbytronix New Member

I thought maybe you were the same guy! Good to see you here. When we're in LA we will certain,y hope to see you there.

Jack Static, you want to trade recordings?

Cake likes this.
  7. Cake

Buttheads! We are family!

eyeCalypso likes this.
  8. eyeCalypso

Sounds like a great tribute. Hope you guys aren't hard to find if you're playing next time I'm in DFW.

9. Cake

What's up, Butthole fans? Any news from anyone else? Rarities found?

10. jack static

jack static Forum Resident

Pinkus has been joining the Melvins for their encores of "Graveyard" (Honky are opening), and Gibby sang with them last(?) night.

11. eyeCalypso

Good question. Is the band talking about another tour, recordings, anything resembling activity?

12. Cake

Not that I am aware of, but anything is possible!

13. Cake

eyeCalypso likes this.
  14. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I just picked up my first BHS record, a nm eu pressing of Hairway to Steven. Never heard them so can't wait to spin the vinyl when I get back home (I found it in a record store in Cologne and bought it along with Rapeman - 2 Nuns... )

Cake likes this.
  15. eyeCalypso

Woo Hooo! Once upon a time I had most everything of theirs on vinyl, 1st pressings, but time was not kind to the collection. Tired of seeing old scratched up vinyl being sold for a few scores. I hope they'll also get out Creamed Corn, Widowermaker, pioughed. Ind Worm Saloon would be nice too. One can wish.

16. MSG 1979

MSG 1979 Forum Resident

Really dug them live back in the day. Gibby and the Boys when they were on...really played it hard and fast. I'm a big Ramones fan and always felt that same charge at a good BHS show (different type of band, but the same energy that would go right thru you).

17. Cake

King from The Butthole Surfers confirmed today via their message board:

There is no fancy packaging on these. Not 180 gram vinyl. They have been remastered, tho. When I A/B to Touch and Go pressings they sound a little better. Not night and day, just "better".

Basically we did it since it was time. They have been out of print on vinyl forever. The past few years vinyl tends to outsell cd for indie/punk stuff - so it was overdue to release these on vinyl again.

18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

19. Cake

Just got the vinyl reissues in the mail today. They look beautiful and have digital downloads included!

20. eyeCalypso

Great. How do they sound to you compared to other issues?

21. Cake

Well, sadly, I don't have a turntable plugged in to check them out. Anyone out there have any answer to the sound compared to the original pressings?

22. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

A dangerous band, pure dynamite.
    All very good until "Hairway To Steven", after that a mention to "The Hurdy Gurdy Man", love it.

23. eyeCalypso

. . . or even compared to the remastered cd's from '99?

24. jack static

jack static Forum Resident

Just guessing, but the new vinyl is probably sourced from the same '99 remasters.

I'll probably pick up "Psychic...Powerless..." and "Rembrandt Pussyhorse" since the vinyl copies I have are European with alternate artwork. Plus, "Psychic.." is possibly my favorite album of all time and my copy is scratch city!

Cake likes this.
  25. Cake

I bought them even though I have the original albums on vinyl just because I love the Butthole Surfers very much and will always support them.

:)

CowboyBob and eyeCalypso like this.