Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Pete Welding did a dry stereo mix of some of the songs on this album in 1992 that I play when I want "Stark Frank". I think they were trying to figure out how to fix the distortion overload. Painful to listen to without reverb to soften.

For the most part I listen to the monophonic LP now. Sounds "complete".

McLover likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Somewhere in the forum, Steve has commented (and if I have this wrong, please correct me) that 1957 was the year that "hi-fi" really hit, and to many, "hi-fi" = reverb, so Capitol tailored their live mono mixes to reflect that, you you are correct when you intimate that it was pretty hit and miss. For instance, the mono recording/mix of "Sings for Only the Lonely" doesn't strike me as being nearly as reverb-heavy as this title.

That's pretty much where I am, although I think the stereo MFSL is a really good presentation of the original stereo mix, so I tend to not knock the original stereo mix so much as I think the original USE of the stereo mix is quite poor. (The MFSL strongly stands out to me amongst ALL the original mix versions as the one -- singular -- that presents the original mix especially well. Those two 1960s pressings? Stink city!) The Walsh CD? Excellent.

Matt

McLover likes this.
  3. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I would definitely like to hear more of the Dell based on your clips, and will seek it out as a viable stereo option for the LP.

4. MLutthans

Looks like the "Compact 33" series predated the SU- series known as "Little LPs." From what I can find, Compact 33 7" records (and I have a few) were meant to be 33 RPM singles, as opposed to quasi-LPs.

Billboard, November 21, 1960:
    Screen shot 2013-01-11 at 9.45.18 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-11 at 9.25.12 PM.png
    By March '61, "Compact 33" was apparently tanking, again from Billboard:
    Screen shot 2013-01-11 at 9.35.48 PM.jpg

Not sure why stevelucille's 7" uses the earlier label?? I don't see a reference to any SU-prefix pressings until 1966.
    Having said that, there are references to Capitol putting out 7" stereo "Little LPs" significantly earlier, such as this ad from November of 1963, indicating that Sinatra was, indeed, on "Little LP" by that point, which may (??) have been in the 9:00 rainbow time period:
    Screen shot 2013-01-11 at 9.55.11 PM.jpg

More in the next post....

McLover likes this.
  5. MLutthans

(Continuing....)

Here's a reference to 3-cut-per-side Little LPs, a la MMM's THIS IS SINATRA Duophonic disk mentioned a few posts back. This is from June 8, 1963, and is referring to what appears to be the very first batch of stereo 7" records for juke boxes:
    JukeStereo1.png JukeStereo2b.jpg
    Again: I *think* this would be in the 9:00 rainbow time frame, which would perhaps indicate where stevelucille's 7" disk came from.

McLover likes this.
  6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I doubt anything with that label would be released beyond when the label changed to "12 o' clock" on the LPs, which seemed to happen in 1962.

I'll have to pull out the records I have like this, and check the dead area stamps, etc.

McLover likes this.
  7. MLutthans

I've now added a section toward the bottom of this page that illustrates how that was handled in the stereo mixes.

8. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Wow, Matt. That's terrific detective work. A little duophonic is not a bad thing in an emergency, I guess. Mr. Walsh was a very clever boy back in the day.

9. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

Thanks Matt I like the SM 70s version and the MFSL stereo LP. I listened to both my LW 87 cd and my Uk 21 cd Capitol disc, using my Dad's old Rotel amp I can add a bit more bass to the sound and alter treble independently for L & R. If you up the bass a bit on the uk 21cd disc and reduce the treble only on the right hand side a bit you can get a nice sound. I still think the stereo cd can be improved with a bit of time and effort and to me that's more of a challenge, than going with the mono simply because its cleaner, but each their own.

10. Steve Hoffman

Another trick Larry did (pretty sure) was to lower the distortion channel while boosting the filtered ECHO of the channel. You hear the echo much louder than the actual track. Helped a lot.

McLover, apileocole and MLutthans like this.
  11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

The stereo is cool on most tracks (I especially like Brazil from Walsh's mastering). The thing to me is the distortion on Around the World. Usually I can shrug off a lot of distortion but that case kinda spoils the song for me. That's why I usually just play the mono; I never think of the sound, good or bad, when I'm playing the mono, just play it and enjoy the music.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Here's what I have (and found):

5 records from SWINGIN' SESSION!!! (I don't know if there was actually a 6th made to complete the album) - one side of the ten is an N2, the rest are all D1 or D2 - all with 9 o' clock labels

3 records from COME SWING WITH ME! - all either D1 or D2 - all with 9 o' clock labels

3 records from POINT OF NO RETURN - all D's as well, and with COMPACT 33 labels

1 duophonic THIS IS SINATRA - A1/A1 - COMPACT 33

Earlier LPs of SWINGIN' SESSION!!! with Scranton plating, etc. had "script" machine stamps. My stereo singles above have the newer, small block stamping. However, I believe SWINGIN' SESSION!!! was a relatively late Capitol LP to have the script stamping. Even my 9 o' clock stereo ALL THE WAY LP has a D1 side with the revised, small block type. So, the change to this still doesn't rule out these singles being issued in 1961, and matches with the later period these labels were used.

The SWINGIN' SESSION!!! and COME SWING! singles above have JBS prefixes in the dead area numbers. This prefix does not match any numbers on the labels. I wonder if that stands for JukeBox Service?

The POINT OF NO RETURN singles did away with the JBS, and matches the "X" prefix on the labels.

The THIS IS SINATRA single is likely from at least 1963, given the "A" lathe cutting.

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  13. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Just picked up a gray label, which unfortunately did not clean up as well as I was hoping (pretty worn under the 50 years of dust) ... but even semi-tanked it absolutely mops the floor with the 9 o'clock rainbow I have. Wow. So punchy and huge! I am gonna have to try and find a better copy of this puppy now. The rainbow copy is in nice shape but sounds positively anemic in comparison.

FWIW, this copy is one of the hybrid N/D Scrantons. and not a particularly early one (N5 #2, D5 #3).

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think that's like the copy I played earlier today (at least the cuts)...

15. MLutthans

I'd still like to know why it is that this particular title seems to have so many cuts that are N on side one and D on side two! Odd...

16. Steve Hoffman

It sold a lot. Didn't it depend on where you lived in the country or something? Or am I thinking of Columbia?

17. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Yeah, it's not unusual at all here in the Midwest to see Capitol LPs with D on one side and N on the other ... particularly on albums that were big/long-lived sellers. Capitol continued mixing stampers willy-nilly into the '70s; I've been looking for a copy of Live Bullet by Bob Seger that's not a complete mish-mash of different mastering engineers for awhile.

The 9 o'clock mono Come Fly I have is a D on both sides, but it's from the era with hand-etched matrices.

McLover likes this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The hand etched dead area should indicate metalwork made in LA. They didn't always do this, but did for a while. Is there an * there too?

19. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

the rainbow copy I have is indeed a Hollywood press, has the * ...

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It probably is pressed there, but the * or anvil appears to me to have been an indication of where some portion of the metalwork was done. I have a copy of SWINGIN' LOVERS! (later 9 o'clock rainbow label) with an anvil on one side, and a star on the other. It has west coast labels (with the hat on the 1), D cuts on both sides, and IIRC (I'm not near the record) hand inscribed info.

21. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Pretty sure this one's a west coast press all the way ... has the serif font for the "Side 1" indication, and the Scrantons of that era usually are sans serif "1". At least that's one way I usually ID the rainbows, though it doesn't work anymore once the other plants opened up.

22. MLutthans

From the May, 1958, edition of Hi-Fi and Music Review, this nugget from Ralph J. Gleason:
    Screen shot 2013-08-25 at 6.35.39 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-08-25 at 6.36.16 AM.jpg
    The stereo LP of this title was reviewed in the February, 1962, edition of Audio, by Chester Santon, as part of a co-review with I Remember Tommy. (That section will be posted in the I Remember Tommy thread.) Check this out!
    Screen shot 2013-08-25 at 6.21.55 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-25 at 6.22.29 AM.png

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Love the old reviews! Thanks, Bob.

Seeing Keely's review made me smile because I can hear Mr. S before he sang "I Wish You Love" at the Golden Nugget in Atlantic City saying she used to pronounce the song "AWWW Wish You Love!":D

24. MLutthans

No problem, Martin! ;-)

All kidding aside, that bottom review (of the stereo release) just kills me.

25. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that is seriously messed up.