Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Having now heard this entire CD, I must say it is one that all piano lovers should own. Superb performance and sound!

Wade likes this.
  2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Agree completely. I don't think that HIP should mandate that great alternate interpretations be banned or vilified. I happen to like not only Grumiaux' and Szeryng's Bach but also Kremer and Mullova's interpretations. It's just that HIP of obsolete styles should provide the norm against which these alternate conceptions can be assessed. The problem as I see it with HIP for the 19th century is that we essentially had no break in performance tradition through the creation of recording in the early 20th century. So there shouldn't be any great revelation lurking in how those works were performed stylistically. Since people can like HIP in Baroque or Renaissance and dislike it in Classical-Romantic indicates that the problem is not aversion to HIP but the sonic result.

3. George P

How cool is Biss? I just got this email:

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

So did I.

He's going to be playing violin sonatas with his mother (Miriam Fried) at the 92nd St. Y later this fall. For some reason I can't access the Y website for the exact date. I hope to catch him there.

Edit - it's on November 2.

5. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-----------------------------------
    That is neat. I hope many who are in the area can go.

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Gidon Kremer's Bach is scary good.

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

077.JPG
    i got these CD reissues Sunday.these mono recordings were made by Capitol in their NYC studios on 46th Street,1954-56.
    i really enjoyed them,although i'm sure they're too "old school" for some.no idea why they were priced so differently.

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

As did I. Here's hoping all 31,000 of our classmates don't descend on Cafe L'Aube to meet him! ;) (I wish I could....)

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

That was my first recording of the Emperor, as Columbia set 500 (5 12" 78s), acquired as part of my first big haul of 78 classical sets. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, and eventually I replaced that copy with one autographed by Serkin. Maybe three years ago, I revisited it after a long hiatus in the course of an intensive survey of my Emperor recordings, and I was surprised to conclude that the orchestral accompaniment is actually rather messy. Still a sentimental favorite, but not my first place choice anymore. (If they didn't take the last mvt. a bit too slowly, Wuhrer/Hollreiser would get that honor, but in the end I gave the prize to Cor de Groot/van Otterloo.) Time moves on, I suppose.

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Here's the original cover:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stone Turntable likes this.
  11. George P

Very cool!

I've read that the Ormandy is Serkin's best Emperor. The Bernstein aint too shabby either. And then there's the Kubelik in the Orfeo set...

Robin L likes this.
  12. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Have been working my way through this box and I'm really enjoying it. Comes highly recommended by me and I also think at the price I paid (35ish AU) its great value. Great playing, recording and some lovely sounding instruments as well.

13. john greenwood

Pink Floyd!!!

I was actually listening to them yesterday. I realized that Arvo Part stole his tintinabuli concept from the intro to "Shine on You Crazy Diamond":D

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Pretty nice, and not all that pricey; just over $8/CD at Amazon. The sound is very nice.

16. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Guys.....Im new to the classical scene. I am trying to find Schuberts "Serenade". The versions I have found has singing on them which is not what im looking for. Can you help??

17. George P

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  18. George P

19. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

20. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Beaux Arts Trio - Schumann_ Piano Trios, Quartet & Quintet.jpg

I just heard this Beaux Arts Trio version of the Quintet for the first time. The Piano Quintet is very well done. The recording from 1975 is very clear. The acoustics are great - recorded at the Concertgebouw Amsterdam. The Trios were recorded in Switzerland and I not yet sure whether I would rate them as high.

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That is a great disc. I believe that is the only "non Marc Andre Hamelin Alkan" disc I own. :D

Wade likes this.
  22. john greenwood

I think the piano quintet is the high point in Schumann's chamber music. I used to have Rubinstein/Guarneri on vinyl. I think the only digital recording I have is part of a Warner Classical package of all of Schumann's chamber music. I don't even recall the performers of that work. :hide:

23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Bela Bartok – Suite Op.14 Sz62, Piano Sonata (1926) Sz80, Improvisations on Hungarian Peasant Songs Op. 20 Sz74, Out of Doors (En plein air) Sz81
    Murray Perahia — 8/8/80, 11/19/80 (CBS Masterworks – Sony Classics)

[​IMG]

24. John S

John S Forum Resident

I've been such a good boy for the last month....but....I must have this.....

25. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Last Spring I was searching for a cd copy of the St Matthew passion and by happy accident found the -same- set in a Goodwill here. It also contained a cd(1) the former owner had included from another set with Bach's "Messe in h-Moll"(Virgin Veritas, 1989).

Looking forward to taking the shrink wrap off & listening to some of my latest RVW disc tonight:
    vw.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.