Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'? (part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I didn't buy it for a second. No one, including Jesse, knew where the money was.

He was processing several thoughts, including seeing Jesse with Hank and Gomez, dealing with the betrayal, realizing he had been fooled etc.
    My theory is that his calmness was misinterpreted by Jack and co. as that Walt had perhaps been captured or maybe had a gun to his head.

Dan

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it's fair to say that Walt is one of the most morally-ambiguous characters in the history of television. Just when we started to really hate him, he's turned around and become a little bit sympathetic again, actually appearing to care about Jesse and Hank.

mikeyt, ribors and Mohojo like this.
  3. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It's a blood stain. I've seen the scene about 3 or 4 times now. Whoever edited this shootout together had no idea what they were doing. They show Hank and Gomez getting into position several different times, out of order. That's a HUGE flaw in my eyes. I can forgive them not showing Gomez getting shot, because we *really* didn't need to see it. But having characters out of position, out of order, repeatedly, shows that the editor or director had no clue to make this thing work or look good. [EDIT: this is actually an on-going trend in movies and TV shows, and it looks bad....as bad as shaky cam, which is when a director has no idea how to properly film a fight scene]

I HOPE that Hank and Jesse die. I actually am kind of ambivalent on Gomez dying, since he's kind of roped into this thing by Hank, but really, they should all 3 die. My friend and I were screaming at the television to shoot Hank and Jesse, to kill them both. God, I want Jesse dead, even more than Hank. What a sniveling, condescending, little sh*tfaced snot. I hope Jesse dies, but that won't happen. It'll be Hank. And good riddance too. What an a##hole.

Here's what's probably going to go down:

1. Hank dies
    2. Gomez lives
    3. The gang takes Jesse and Walt
    4. Walt refuses to cook or does something to piss them off - Jesse is forced to cook
    5. They kill Skylar
    6. Walt escapes
    7. Walt comes back and saves Jesse from the gang

I could be completely wrong, but I've discussed it with a couple of friends and that's the conclusion/middle ground we've come up with.

Here's how the second episode will start (again, after discussion with friends this is what we've come up with):

There was a second phone call made to someone (either Skylar or Saul) that we didn't see before he came out behind the rock. The time lapse/staging/setup was long enough that it very easily could have taken place, and each episode has opened with something in the past or whatever, so I think it was set up that way on purpose. He may have left a message for Walt Jr. too like he did in the first episode of the series.

Either way, the tension in this episode was INSANE. I was on the edge of the my seat the entire time. Very well done, overall. A lot of the storyline was stretched pretty thin, but you had to go with it. I think a lot of the last episode was wasted and we could have had better/longer setup/resolution for whatever got them into the desert in the first place.

Also the editing on this thing is weird this season. They've always ended the show in the middle of action, instead of right before or right after. It's...very unusual and I think a mistake in the tension department (ex: the garage door should have shut and the episode should have ended or maybe ended right after the punch). Hank should have died and then the show cut to black. Either shot through the chest or a bullet through the head.

Also, the fact that a) no one's run out of bullets yet and b) no one's died/been hit (well, Gomez, probably) yet doesn't come across as believable or well done. It should have ended much more quickly than it did. Kind of poorly written, in my opinion, but y'know, whatever. It's not my show, and they probably have their reasons.

4. nbakid2000

OK, that's somewhat more believable. That's what this show does - they take things that *could* be theoretically realistic and play off that. I still don't fully buy it, but I'm going to assume the writers aren't stupid, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

5. nbakid2000

Because if he disappeared, no one would know where he was, he'd live life (fairly) peacefully, and the show would end. Then you'd be like, "Wow. That was kind of a waste of time."

6. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Maybe Walt will grab a gun and save Hank or something?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is not the kind of show where anybody gets off easy. But... it'd be nice if Walt's wife would at least bring up this idea and have Walt give a good explanation as to why that's not an option.

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I didn't think the gunfight was unbelievable. Hank was pretty much covered behind his vehicle by the time the shooting started as the wide shot reveals. The neo's didn't seem to be good marksmen and went with it.

9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

When I noticed "Oh Sherrie" playing in the background the first thing I thought was that it could be a comical nod to The Sopranos use of "Don't Stop Believing". Or maybe a foreshadowing of the death of the main character since Steve Perry's voice and Tony's demise are forever linked together now.

Ed Hughes and Vidiot like this.
  10. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Another inevitably wrong prediction: Hank and Gomie are dead, Jesse and Walt survive. Walt escapes to New Hampshire, Jack and crew kidnap Jesse and force him to cook for them, but are upset that Walt broke his promise to cook for them. They ransack the White's home looking to kidnap Skyler, Junior and Holly to force Walt out of hiding but the home is unoccupied since the Whites are still staying at the hotel. Walt hears what they have done to his house and decides he needs to take out Jack's crew to ensure his family's safety.

Paul J likes this.
  11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

He's handcuffed in a car.

12. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Maybe he'll use his legs?

matty j likes this.
  13. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

He did drop that gun, if he could get out of the handcuffs he might be able to get to it. Just speculating here but maybe he will offer to show where the money is in exchange for Hank and/or Jesse's life and then lead them over to where the gun is and grab it and start shooting.

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I rewatched this yesterday & noticed the same. He has more cover than I realized on the first viewing. And the neo's really seem to just be spraying bullets.

What struck me as much more unbelievable than the gunfight was how Walt just starts spilling the beans on the phone. I can get why he mentioned Gus (directly related to what they were talking about, him poisoning Brock), but why did he start yelling out the other stuff?

Not that I care that much. It was a great episode & easy to suspend disbelief on these details.

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I think it's what Jessie was telling to Hank: Walter's very smart, AND he's also very lucky. His mis-steps haven't caused his demise so far, but that doesn't mean that he's perfect. He got caught up in the heat of the moment thinking the reward for everything he had gone through was literally going up in smoke. He was saying anything he could think of to keep Jessie from burning his treasure, and just got on a roll. At least that's how I look at it.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  16. vinyldreams

Also some pretty sloppy writing that Walt would just bury all the money in one spot and not split it up at different places. $800 mill all buried at only one location? Please.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

That was the most cathartic loogie in tv history.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Above all Walt wants to win; his money is a tangible symbol of his victory, so he risks everything to save it. And after winning comes family. That doesn't make him evil, just human.

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Gomez is as good as dead.

I'm about 99% sure Hank is going to die, or at the very least be in a coma. All the signs were there. I get the argument that maybe that was just deliberate misdirection, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. How about the season three cliffhanger of Jesse shooting Gale? Well, turns out, yeah, Jesse shot Gale! How about the end of the previous episode where Walt is calling in the hit? I myself even speculated that maybe it was someone we wouldn't see coming. Nope, he was just calling in a hit on Jesse, the obvious answer.

Pretty sure Jesse will live through the shootout.

I agree that Walt will go on the run straight from there. The scene at the car wash definitely had the feeling of "This is the last time Walt will see his family." Especially when one shot was basically from Walt's POV looking over at his wife and son at the register.

20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

He had no time to bury at multiple locations. He was in a panic and also in declining health. It took all afternoon and deep into the night just to dig that ONE hole -- how was he going to drive around to multiple spots and bury separate barrels without killing himself?

Vidiot likes this.
  21. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Oops, meant Walt, not Hank.

22. vinyldreams

He could have at least taken a few mill and stashed it somewhere for an emergency. Didn't have to bury all of it.

23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

He didn't sound particularly "calm" when telling Todd's uncle that the hit on Jesse was off. He wasn't hysterical, but his demeanor certainly lacked tranquility.

24. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

When I heard it I thought all Steve Perry/Journey should be off limits in this final half season just because of the strong Sopranos association.

One thing I keep thinking about way too much is the flash forwards with Walt as Mr. Lambert and how this relates to the real time action. Everyone assumes since he is celebrating his 52nd birthday at Denny's (and not short on cash) that would be about 8 months after the shootout. But wouldn't a new identity include a new birthday? Given that Cranston is 57 years old, couldn't Mr. Lambert also be 57? That flash forward may be five plus years down the road, which could leave a huge story to tell if Gilligan & company wanted. I guess it also would be a lot less believable that the ricn vile would still be in the house. Hmmm...

25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I'm thinking more like Walt will grab a gun and finish off a wounded Hank.

Also, I'm liking my prediction a few weeks back that the rocket launcher in Walt's trunk is for Todd/Lydia and co. This is shaping up to be spot-on.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.