Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'? (part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The phone call didn't bother me at all; it didn't sound "natural" because it WASN'T -- it was a setup designed to get Walt to (a) stay on the line as long as possible, and (b) possibly incriminate himself. And the sound of Jesse's voice was an artistic decision -- it wasn't meant to sound like a cellphone call; they probably wanted his voice as clear as possible so nobody would miss anything. Some of the shots in that scene were OUTSIDE the car, looking from above -- they weren't going to just drop out the sound of the conversation during those shots, so they made it more like a voice-over.

nosticker likes this.
  2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

No viewer of the show was expected to buy it for a second. Hank stated that he would be taking advantage of the fact that Walt would not know whether or not his rental van had been equipped with GPS. They also made sure that we saw Huell describe the barrels in great detail inclusve of where they could be purchased. Any viewer should have been way ahead of Walt in terms of what was going on.

nosticker and Sean Murdock like this.
  3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I am assuming someone is going to show up with a waveform shortly...

4. I thought it looked like a cheap car commercial, with Walt's Chrysler 300 digitally superimposed on the road. I guess they couldn't very well shut down a major highway in ABQ and do it for real, but it looked really cheesy to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love this show, I've been on it since the beginning, but it kind of took me out of the action to see the cheap CGI effect.

5. Sean Murdock

It would have been prohibitively expensive to shut down that entire stretch of highway; they address it in the Insider Podcast this week. I thought the CGI was fine.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. Again: "I guess they couldn't very well shut down a major highway in ABQ and do it for real." I thought the CGI looked cheap.

7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

According to the podcast, the exterior shots were the car driving around regular traffic. They could film from behind or in front, but not alongside the car. The car was going the speed limit, and they sped it up to look like he was going faster. The funny part was all of the other cars were speeding, so they had to find shots that didn't show everyone else blowing past him.

The interior shots were done with a green screen. I rewatched it after hearing that & have to say it is pretty well done.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The interior shots looked cheap IMO (and usually I'm impressed by those in movies). The exterior stuff looked OK to me...what exact shots were CGI? I couldn't tell any, besides maybe the shot of the car going over the camera and the camera flipping around...but even that looked really really good and did not scream out "computer!!" to me.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  9. Sean Murdock

You don't have to repeat it -- I read your post. I was confirming what you said with the info from the podcast. Thought you'd appreciate it. I guess not.
    I didn't. Not a big deal, really.

10. I see, I guess I misread your intent. Sorry. As you say, it's no big deal.

11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I thought the highway cgi looked fine and that a great deal of, though not all of, the interior car shots looked bad. Some of them must not have been green screen.

I'm still trying to figure out where the long shot of him looking out the window was done. I understand that in storyland that's the car wash, but in Albuquerque the window reflection places it in a different location.

12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I might have just been too tense from the action, but I didn't notice anything hinky about that car/highway deal. You all must have much sharper eyes than I do...

13. Sean Murdock

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    ribors likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

15. woody

woody Forum Resident

The Fallon parody. Funny stuff. NSFW (or I guess it depends on where you work).

16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Excellent!!!!!

17. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Loved the flying pizza!

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I don't really care for Fallon, but that was great - thanks!

Gumboo likes this.
  19. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Cute, but Bob Odenkirk (sp?) acted like he had absolutely no interest in being in the sketch. I always notice that when actors play characters they're known for in a show unrelated to the "real" thing, they always play it crappy or something's "off".

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

After just wrapping up three months of Grand Jury duty (It was actually only one day every week for three months) and hearing about ten stories each week regarding meth labs, I have to agree with this comment! Folks, "Breaking Bad" is not just a popular TV show, but this sh!$ is really happening right outside each of our own doors and it might actually involve people and kids that you and your family know. Writing this show really doesn't take much work, just read your daily newspaper any day this week, to write a finale. With that said, last Sunday's episode was brilliant, especially when Walt is flying out to where the money is hid, that was very intense! Sadly, all of that greatness led to that gunfight, which was pretty lame and they might just do themselves a favor to play more Steve Perry and cut to black now.

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

well there you have it. i'll stop watching this crap right now!

rburly likes this.
  22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for adding insult to my wife's own comment, when I told her yesterday that most people on this forum wanted Hank dead and she said, "We live in a sick society when you root for the bad guy and want the guy hunting him down dead".

Sean Murdock likes this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's a freakin TV show. Nobody wants to see anyone dead in real life. There are good reasons to root for either character (because that's what they are!)

jeffrey walsh, ribors and Raf like this.
  24. Just for the record, I don't want Hank dead, and I stopped rooting for Walt a loooong time ago. But the show is brilliant, whoever is left alive at the end.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The glory of the show is that it shows us bits and pieces of the meth world of addicts and suppliers and cops and kingpins. While showing us the private lives and inner thoughts and feelings of a handful of individuals caught up in the web of supply and demand and crime and punishment. We see these people in and out of their roles and we begin to care about some of them, and then question our concern, begin to be disgusted, frustrated, puzzled. . . . This is what makes the show so powerful. Yes, that world --all parts of it-- is horrendous. But there's a great story here with heroes and villains and heroes who become villains, a real tapestry of human life and nature. And it's not glorifying the life as some others shows flirt with (I see Sons of Anarchy, another show I really enjoy, doing this a bit for example).

Scroller and IronWaffle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.