Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I really like that box

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

What's in that box?

Anybody else like that box?

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Anyone familiar with Valentina Lisitsa?

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

She's an accomplished Russian pianist, isn't she? This one looks interesting:

[​IMG]

5. john greenwood

With 60,000,000 YouTube views apparently!

I got an invitation to her NYC debut recital.

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Yes, I am familiar. On a technical level I would say she is good by modern standards but not excellent. I am not a fan of her interpretations for the most part. That is entirely subjective.

7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Wouldn't it be nice if more people understood that music appreciation itself is dependent upon the listener? Thanks for pointing that out.

8. john greenwood

See my comments on today's Beethoven thread.

9. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Thanks... and FWIW I've never been able to warm up to Klemperer, but I am going to give it one more try. Amazon reviewer, Santa Fe Listener, told me in a personal reply that Klemperer's remains his favorite and Tennstedt's Schubert 9th isn't far behind. That's Great! It turns out that Klemperer is OOP and used ones are a bit pricey. But he was right on the Rattle Brahms symphony set, I love it.

Oh, and my favorite Beethoven box set? I have one vinyl, Walter's, and one CD, Zinman's. I wouldn't aver that either sets any standards. Got lots of single LPs and CDs, though, all the way from Ansermet to Wallenstein, and STILL looking for the perfect 9th.

10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig van Beethoven – Piano Trios: Op.97 "Archduke" & Op.70/1 "Ghost"
    — Jos van Immerseel, fortepiano, Vera Beths, violin, Anner Bylsma, violincello (Vivarte/Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

11. john greenwood

I've owned Walter and Klemperer on vinyl as well as CD (including the recent Sony Walter box). EMI did a bunch of Klemperer boxes early this year, so you might want to check again.

When someone gives me $100,000,000 to film "Gravity's Rainbow" (and Pynchon grants me the rights) the opening shots of a rocket will be to the beginning of Klemperer's 9th.

12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Lotsa Chopin, Debussy, Ravel, etc.

I like it. But I love the Cortot box in the same series. The Yves Nat box is excellent, too.

Yep. Her debut CD on Decca did not impress me one bit.

What Beethoven thread?

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

In another FWIW, I confess my ignorance of Lisitsa, but upon John's mention of her millions of views at You Tube, I took a look/listen. I don't think I've heard the Moonlight Sonata played with such blistering speed before. It reminded me of that Fedex advertisement with that guy that could talk real fast.

Still, I'd go see her if she ever got down this way just so I could see her.

14. George P

Yeah, the Moonlight requires Opium, not caffeine.

Robin L likes this.
  15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I vote for hashish but I know Beethoven went for laudanum. Some of that "Late Period" stuff gets kinda up in the ozone if you catch my drift. Reminds me more than a little of Yardbird in his more lyrical modes.

16. john greenwood

Have you heard Schiff play and lecture - on it? No dreamy romanticism for him.

17. George P

Yeah Schiff and I don't get along in Beethoven (or Schubert.) I recall liking his Bach more.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  18. Scott Wheeler

despite my not being a fan I would not hesitate to go see her live if I were invited.

19. Scott Wheeler

HJ Lim syndrome

20. Scott Wheeler

Truth be told I like him only for Bach. That is his specialty and he seems to have a connection with Bach that he does not have with any other composer. I have seen him live twice. Once playing all Bach which was pretty terrific and once playing all Schumann which was bizarre. His phrasing was for lack of a better word, Shatneresque

21. john greenwood

Have you heard his Haydn?

I have the Schubert Impromptus by him, which I like.

22. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Yes, I like his Bach and find his Mozart interesting. But I happened to listen recently to a CD of his Schumann and didn't like it at all.

23. Scott Wheeler

I think his Haydn is alright. It seems the later the music the worse things get. Once he gets to the romantic era he seems to be completely out of his zone. Again, tis very very subjective. Some folks may find his phrasing to their liking with the romantic material. I can't make heads or tails of it. I find it arbitrary. But Schiff does seem to be much more universally liked for his Bach than anything else. I think he handles classical reasonably well. Haydn, Mozart et al but it's not on the same level as his Bach which for my money is among the very best.

24. John S

John S Forum Resident

Beethoven thread?

25. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I posted this on another forum but thought it bore duplication on this thread.

I just discovered that Barnes and Noble has a 40% off sale for selected classical. Shipping is free if you're a member--as am I-- and used to be free on purchases over $25 for anyone. Might still be.

Some great prices on Naxos, e.g. some of the Petrenko/Shostakovich cycle for $5.99.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?store=Music&PRO=2034

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.