Fripp announces King Crimson to return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle_Meat, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

OK, I'll try again, based on thoughts above:
    Americans: Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin, (Pat? Trey? Adrian?)
    English: Robert, 2 or 3 drummers (Gavin? NBill?), if no Adrian, then add a singer (Wetton? Jakko Jakszyk? Lake?)

2. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

How about the Giles brothers? Any possibilities there?

Lost Monkey likes this.
  3. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

...and Lake, and Sinfield.

...and a time machine... ;)

4. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

Oh. My. Gosh. This means maybe possibly I will get to see them live! :goodie:

drasil and Lost Monkey like this.
  5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

what was all that cobblers about retiring then ?

6. This is great news. I really loved The Scarcity Of Miracles, so this could be very interesting.

Derek Blakley likes this.
  7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Here's my guess at the lineup, with 4 English and 3 Americans, and 3 drummers:

Robert Fripp - British
    Gavin Harrison - British
    Jakko Jakszyk - British
    Mel Colllins - British

Tony Levin - American
    Pat Mastelloto - American
    Bill Rieflin - American

I don't like the thought of no Adrian Belew, though!

(Though it's possible Belew could be in as a drummer in place of Pat. Belew did play drums for ProjeKct Six briefly. If that happened you'd have two vocalists - Belew & Jakko).

acdc7369 likes this.
  8. Stewart Meat

Stewart Meat Active Member

Great news!

9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This looks like a better stab at it. One OP has posted quite a few times, in this thread, and seems to be more clueless with every post. ("Tony out?" Well, duh, it only reads in the link that Tony had arrived. "Lake?" Yeah, right. :rolleyes:)

Think you've got the drummers nailed, but my impression is still that 3 drummers is 1 too many. One possible difference is that John Wetton might still be involved in some capacity. He hinted that there might be some big announcement on his website. Depending on what his commitments are with Asia, he might be a second bass player. Then, that would mean he'd be in place of Mel Collins or, less likely, to handle vocals, putting Jakko out.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Still putting my money on no Fripp.

11. Say It Right

That's not altogether far-fetched, because it was hinted that some Crimson-related project was being formed to tackle '73-'74 era Crimson. So, there is always the possibility that this is similar to the 21st Century Schizoid Band. Then again, why would Fripp need to be so heavily involved with the communications?

FWIW, Wetton is touring with District 97 to do Crimson material.
    http://bakerloo2.forumchitchat.com/...ng-music-of-king-crimsonvideo-preview-6514652

Maybe this is some form of test run for him?

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If you mean me, am indeed clueless, just trying to piece together the bread crumbs. Glad for those more informed to make the attempt.

Say It Right likes this.
  13. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

This line up looks good to me!

14. Derek Blakley

Derek Blakley Forum Resident

I'd love to see Wetton, Harrison, Levin & Collins involved. Belew was great for the band, but had a long run with them. Wetton was a complete newbie of a singer when he started with Crim, and was just hitting his stride when his bit finished with Red. Seeing where that would lead would be most interesting, I think!

I can't see it being called "King Crimson" without Fripp involved. The last Projekct show I saw here in Dallas, Belew started to call the band King Crimson,but then recanted.. saying "The King" was at home so he couldn't call it KC, and that it was a Projekct show. (and a great one at that..)

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I'm thinking RF won't be involved in the "band" aspect. Perhaps in an advisory role?
    He did say it was a "very different reformation to what has one before".

16. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

I'd be sad if Belew was not involved -- I know he divides fans, but he's probably the best singer after Greg Lake (Wetton is an oddly inexpressive vocalist) and I don't see a songwriter in any of these speculated lineups (say what you will about Belew as a lyricist, but KC has never had a great one). I was really fond of the 2008 touring band (Fripp, Belew, Levin, Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison), though any momentum they may have had has long since fizzled. Maybe...

Fripp, Jakko (guitars)
    Levin (stick, bass)
    Wetton (bass)
    Reiflin, Mastelotto, Harrison (drums)

Welcome wild card: Mel Collins

What a racket this would be.

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Wonderful news.
    The world is a better place with an active King Crimson.

18. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

That it is. I knew Fripp couldn't stay away...

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

For what it's worth, reading the article where Fripp announced his retirement I never got the impression that he meant for it to be permanent, but rather that there was too much on his business plate for him to make justice to the music. Reading the diary entry now, I see he still refers to the record company, so it might be possible that those issues are close to being resolved and he's finding himself now with recharged musical energies and enthusiasm.

20. Say It Right

Hasn't Fripp been quitting the business or retiring for the last 30-odd years?

21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I agree that this is too many drummers, but that's what Fripp's announced - will be curious to see how they mesh and coexist sonically, without it being *too much*.

I could also see Wetton involved (I think he was in some recent photos in Fripp's diary too, over the past couple of months anyway). If that happened maybe he replaces Jakko in the lineup - though then you have Wetton & Levin co-existing sonically - maybe no big deal, who's to say at this point, lol.

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

You could say the Allman Brothers, since the percussionist plays something close to a full kit. Also, Ginger Baker's Airforce had three full-kit drummers.

23. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

This is great news!

However -
    Don't even THINK of asking Fripp about it if you happen to meet him while out and about somewhere!:D

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen listed four drummers, although I don't know if more than two played kit at once.

25. Say It Right

That double trio made it tricky to identify specific parts in stereo. That's why the DVD in 5.1 was a welcomed relief.

Wetton and Levin have worked together on some of the Larks' Tongues-Red material. Trey Gunn is also on some of this, fwiw.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Zero-Tour-Eddie-Jobson/dp/B003D8ZWVI

First time "One More Red Nightmare" was performed live.

Derek Blakley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.