The "Italians Do It Better" Record Label*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser Thread Starter

Just curious if anyone has dug into any of the Italians do it Better label. I got into the label in 2011 on the heels of the very strong Chromatics effort called "Kill for love". A very cool vibe runs thru all of the artists on this label (Glass Candy, Chromatics, Desire, Mike Simonetti, etc...). The label created a lot of buzz in 2007 with the release of the "After Dark" compilation (soooo good) and recently this year with the "After Dark 2" compilation. Ive bought both on vinyl and they sound AMAZING. A total steal too, you can purchase them for a mere $15 bucks off their web store, and they are a 3LP set! Oh and I don't work for the label....lol. Just a huge fan.

Label Website:
    http://vivaitalians.blogspot.ca/

Label Store:
    http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/

enro99, Londonmay1, ZenMango and 2 others like this.
  2. Crazyhorse11

BeatlesBop likes this.
  3. Crazyhorse11

Chromatics - Kill For Love

4. Crazyhorse11

Glass Candy - Warm in the Winter

Beatleboy1968 likes this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Funny you should post this, as I'm listening to After Dark 2 right now. Terrific stuff, I anxiously await the album from Farah. I've got both Chromatics albums, The Glass Candy, the Solid Gold, and am waiting on the first After Dark cd. The cd's go for 5 bucks, the music is invigorating, well recorded , the blend of disco, rock, ambient, 80's downtown Manhattan, synth pop and no wave is pretty unique. The 2 Chromatics albums are amazing. Great stuff.

enro99 and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  6. Crazyhorse11

And a very cool cover of Neil Young's Hey Hey My My, which the Chromatics call "into the black"

JoelWat, Echo and PennyLanes like this.
  7. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Oh, look at this thread, just in time for my new avatar. These imports are kind of expensive in Japan, and so far I've only heard the Chromatics' albums, After Dark, and Symmetry's Themes for an Imaginary Film, but that's all great stuff. This is the track that won me over:

PennyLanes and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  8. ralphb

You need Glass Candy's B/E/A/T/B/O/X and the After Dark 2. The Chromatics Kill For Love wound up on my best of list last year. Have you tried ordering directly from the label? They're very helpful.

9. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Thanks for the advice. Going directly to the label might be problematic, since I don't have a credit card anymore — they're unnecessary in Japan, even for internet shopping, but getting stuff from overseas is another matter.

10. ralphb

They take Paypal, if that helps.

11. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

IDIB is a great and consistent label for sure.

My favorite releases outside of the core Johnny Jewel bands (Chromatics/Glass Candy/Symmetry) are the "Hollywood Seven" edits 12" by Jewel and Simonetti and the awesome Invisible Conga People 12".

Simonetti ran a hardcore punk label - Troubleman Unlimited - back in the 90s, and it's really cool that he's keeping the approachable DIY approach going with IDIB. Their stuff is beyond reasonable from a price perspective, and they always throw in a stack of CDs when I order their vinyl.

enro99 and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I own almost everything I could buy in their store on CD. Ironically, the Johnny Jewel solo album sucked (to me) and I didn't buy it. The rest of it was wayyy better. I have the download of the After Dark 2.

13. Koroyev

Koroyev Member

I like Italians Do It Better, and am anxiously awaiting the second run of the Kill For Love vinyl.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  14. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Massive fan here and if you buy direct, not only do you get the albums at an a,aging value, but they often throw in some nice treats. I have placed 3 orders with the over the last 3 months and have received cool gifts each time.

This last time, I ordered the After Dark 2 on vinyl and the put in 2 big stickers as well as 4 CDs!( both After Dark CDs, a Glass Candy and a Chromatics). I had them all on vinyl all ready but I have already given some of them away as gifts.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Has to be the third run after the violet and blue pressings sold out;) Tried to start a Symmetry album thread in summer 2012 but it didn't get anywhere. Still waiting for my copy of the new "After Dark"...

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just visited their webstore... the prices are amazing, 5$ for a CD, 15$ for an album is simply a steal! What's also interesting is that they have two mailorder only Chromatics vinyl albums and another one by Symmetry listed as "coming soon".

With postage and everything it is cheaper to buy the regular vinyl releases in local stores but I'm definitely interested in the stuff exclusive to the website.

17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Nice to see a label bravely marketing physical media and expressing a strong aesthetic.

It is artists that would get lost or never be signed at a major label. So many great albums are from labels like Bluenote, Def Jam, or SST that were founded with distinct concept of the music they wanted to showcase.

Anaplian likes this.
  18. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Yeah. The only con is that they cannot keep up with demand. A lot of stuff is limited run and sells out in a day or hours depending on the release and how many copies they have.

19. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Sorry , had to do it . :sigh:

SG47, Londonmay1 and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  20. ralphb

No need to apologize, especially when it's true.:D

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Second run? I've already seen the third run in stores! It's on ivory-colored vinyl.

First Pressing: Magenta
    Second Pressing: Blue*
    Third Pressing: Ivory

*There was actually a screwup at the pressing plant for the second run. They meant to press 10,000 on blue, but accidentally pressed 5,000 on the same magenta as the first run and then only 5,000 on blue. The first and second magenta pressings are indistinguishable from each other except for the sticker on the front. If the sticker says second pressing on blue, there's a chance you'll open it and it will be magenta.

I found a used, sticker-less copy on magenta and have no way of knowing if it is first or second press.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  22. Koroyev

Koroyev Member

Now that I look at their website again, it says 2nd edition. I must have interpreted that wrong.

23. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Me too. Got some cool stickers + 4 cd's for free (2 After Dark compilations + Glass Candy + Chromatics) with my order of the After Dark 2-vinyl. It compensated perfectly the shipping costs to Europe.

"Beautiful Object" is another great track with funny video.

After Dark 2 is my favourite dance-compilation of the year, next to Eskimo Recording's "Pink Collection". Would be great if both labels joined forces for a musical project.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  24. PennyLanes

PennyLanes Well-Known Member

Thank was fantastic! Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  25. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Funny, just was I was thinkin', Ralph :D