Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Last night I spent another evening at the Philharmonie. This time it was Brahms' 2nd symphony. Good fun.

goldwax and George P like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing SACD2 from the following twofer, another recent arrival from across the pond for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Mine is a CD with Manuel De Falla's "El Amor Brujo" by Enrique Bátiz conducting the Orquesta Sinfónica del Estado de México.

I hadn't been actively seeking any CD for the work, but I happened across a copy in my early CD buying days, and remembered that I liked the Ritual Fire Dance as a child. So I bought it. I noticed there was a Mezzo-Soprano listed on the back cover (Victoria Vergara), which filled me with apprehension, as it's very rare for me to enjoy vocals in Classical music. But I bravely ignored that, and as it turned out, not only did I like the whole work, but I enjoyed her singing so much that to this day I've never bought another performance because I don't want to hear anyone ELSE singing it! I just know I'll be let down in comparison.

The other two pieces on the CD are Rodrigo's "Fantasia Para Un Gentilhombre" & "Concierto Andaluz". These were not a selling point for me as I knew nothing of the composer and wouldn't have bought any CD specifically for him. But yes, I liked both of these works too.

4. coopmv

I added this CD to my collection about a year ago. Baroque has always been my favorite period and early in my venture into classical music, ASMIF and Neville Marriner was always my go-to baroque LP recordings. However, when the trio Pinnock/Hogwood/Gardiner got the HIP movement into high gear, I stopped listening to ASMIF/Marriner because baroque music no longer sounds right to me when it is performed on modern instruments. The Argo CD features a young Iona Brown performing "The Lark Ascending" and I attended a concert by the ASMIF with Iona Brown at the Carnegie Hall in the mid 80's. Iona Brown was an excellent violinist (and pretty too) and I still remember she gave two encores at the end of the concert because she had really dazzled the audience with her virtuosity. I have heard "The Lark Ascending" is a technically very demanding piece and wonder how Iona Brown did. I was not disappointed with this CD.

John S, PH416156 and Robin L like this.
  5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The Brahms twofer is a favorite. I also have the Beaux Arts Trio performing the Piano Quartets on SACD.

6. john greenwood

While I enjoy HIP, I also enjoy Baroque performed by chamber orchestras. Just loaded up Brown and the Academy performing Handel's Concerti Grossi Op. 6. I actually have two modern chamber orchestra recordings of this set, but no HIP versions.

7. coopmv

I have the same set in my collection. While the set is not bad, I prefer the version performed by the English Concert with Trevor Pinnock, which to me is the gold standard for those works. I also have another set performed by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. Believe it or not, I also have a third set performed by HvK and the BPO but the set has been OOP for at least twenty years and DG has not bothered to re-issue it.

8. coopmv

That must be fun. I wish I had that opportunity 30 years ago.

9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That is one of my favorite Vaughn Williams CDs.

10. john greenwood

I tend to like Handel performed by a modern chamber orchestra, more than Bach or Vivaldi.

I bought Pierre Boulez conducting the NY Phil in the "Water Music" as it was pretty much the only Baroque SACD I could find in the very early days. Haven't played it in years.

11. coopmv

I have a number of SACD versions for "Water Music", though the conductors were not the usual suspect, i.e. not German or English ...

12. coopmv

Are you a fan of ASMIF/Marriner?

13. Rose River Bear

Yes I am. I don't think they ever recorded anything short of very good to great. :)

14. coopmv

After HvK, Neville Marriner is supposed to be the most recorded conductor. Some people consider Marriner to be overrated but I enjoy all his recordings in my collection - LP's and CD's. I do have many of his recordings.

15. Rose River Bear

Many of his Mozart recordings are must haves IMO.

16. coopmv

I have most if not all his Mozart recordings on Philips CD's and LP's.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  17. john greenwood

I bought a set of symphonies 21-41 in the early days of CDs. Last time I looked, one disc had a hole through it (bigger than a pinhole), Fortunately, I had already ripped the disc to Apple Lossless.

18. coopmv

While I generally prefer listening to JS Bach's works performed on period instruments, the Barndenburg Concertos recorded by Marriner with an all-star roster that included Henryk Szeryng, Heinz Holliger, Michala Petri and George Malcolm, etc. in 1980 for Philips has remained my favorite. The concertos were split into two individual CD's.

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

That was probably a manufacturing defect though it might not affect the music itself.

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

008.JPG 009.JPG
    released in 1957,this was issued in stereo in 1958 on MS 6030.i believe it is available in stereo on a Japanese Sony CD.my copy
    was marked Scratched & priced at 9 cents,but it's actually in good condition.a good performance with decent sound

Urban Spaceman, PH416156 and Robin L like this.
  21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My first version of the first classical piece that really "turned me on." The stereo version ended up on Odyssey. Sloppy but passionate.

22. john greenwood

I had that set and gave it away. I cannot for the life of me remember why. I think I was going through an HIP only phase.

23. john greenwood

This hole would stop any player in its tracks.

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Is that your copy? Great pics! :thumbsup:

25. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

telemann_.jpg

I like the fantasias. This is an early digital recording -- VERY early digital PCM 14-bit recording from the early 1970's. The upper octaves are rather fuzzy, foggy, but it's uncomplicated music and very listenable. I have the LP, but it sounds essentially the same. Worse, actually. So the CD it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.