The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Much more interesting marbles I guess - don't lick the coasters!

2. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

It is expensive but it really isn't a "booklet". You made it sound like it's something that'll fit on a CD rack and not the nice coffee-table book that it is.

All the same: $130 !! whew
    It will probably eventually sell closer to $60-$80.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I swore on a stack of Bibles that I wouldn't buy VU&N45 but I ended up with both the 2 and 6 CD versions.

Tom34772, Dudley Morris and Jerryb like this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'll definitely get this.

The VU&N45 was completely worth it.

Now that we know they're doing these, I'll really look forward to what's done with the 3rd album.

apple-richard and Jerryb like this.
  5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Speaking of...

When is Volume 2 of the Velvet Underground Bootleg Series coming out? I bought the first one and have been waiting quite a while now for the 2nd one to materialize.

6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Then I'm in.

7. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

No, but it's funny for other reasons.

8. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

But still, three discs at £10 each, £20 for the coffee table book, and £5 for the packaging. It should be £55 maximum, and the book should be optional. Bob Dylan is the worst offender here. An extra disc to the basic 2 disc editions of the Bootleg Series cost about £50 extra! And record companies complain about illegal downloading. This kind of price structure will only encourage it.

zobalob likes this.
  9. Michael Wittrup

Michael Wittrup Well-Known Member

I really hope this 3-disc set will contain the Gymnasium show, it's a great show!, and it's about time it gets an official release. Last time I heard it I was a young man, now I'm not a young man anymore.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I like this album enough to have about 8 different versions of it....so I'd probably get it if it has something cool....but my opinion of this album remains, I love the 3 shortest cuts, hate The Gift and have to be in a certain mood to endure Sister Ray...but man....Heard Her Call My Name is probably my fave Velvets ever, that guitar is wayyy ahead of its time.

margaritatoldtom and johnnyyen like this.
  11. INSW

INSW Senior Member

+1

12. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

It comes with a 2 pound bag of pure methamphetamine, so it's not such a bad deal really.

RocketUSA likes this.
  13. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Such as? And if it's some lame crack about how the Sex Pistols suck, then don't bother.

I'm super excited about this news, seeing as how White Light/White Heat is one of my favorite albums of all time.

brianvargo likes this.
  14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The second (mono) disc attached to the VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO Deluxe Edition was eventually reissued as a standalone "Rarities Edition" disc. I bought that.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What about "Chelsea Girls"?....am I right in thinking that getting the 6CD boxet is still the only way to get the remastered version?

16. BlueSpeedway

The reason it was funny to some people is obvious, if you find it funny in the first place. It was nothing to do with cracking at the Pistols or audophiles. It was to do with my English irony, and irony is sometimes a silly thing to write on the internet, as it doesn't translate very well internationally, and is impossible to explain.

I've owned 6 copies of the Bollocks album since I was 8 years old circa 1979, I'm a child of early 70s London, and about 75% of my music taste, 75% of my music jobs and experiences and 75% of my life would not exist without what the Pistols did.

Larry L and apple-richard like this.
  17. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

It comes with a syringe, bits of aluminum foil, a spoon, wrap a round sunglasses and a plastic banana. And a 36 dollar gift card rebate so you can go to the nearest urban slum and wait for the man.

With the super deluxe edition, you get a nun habit signed by Sister Ray.

18. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

My mistake. Yeah, irony can be a tricky thing on the internet. I'm just so used to people bashing the Sex Pistols (or punk in general) on this forum that I'm a little too quick on the defensive.

19. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I hope they included "Beginning To See The Light" session from May 68 with John Cale

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Demos usually are a "one listen" experience. I can't think of a demo I've heard which is better than the studio version.

At least the live Bowie album was included on the cheaper version. It was the DVD-A which was restricted to the super deluxe.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

This is my least favorite Velvets album, I will check out the 2cd and 2lp verion.

I do think it should be called "46th anniversary edition"

Jerryb likes this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

Oh yeah it was in the smaller version, I forgot. Although last time I looked that was out of print so it's still never going to be heard in the future by more casual fans, although they can always get it off iTunes I guess. They might as well, because the mastering of Nassau is so bad it hardly matters getting it in lossy form, and I don't often say that :laugh:

With demos, it's funny how John Cale (presumably) authorised the release of the mass of dull-as-hell demos which fill up the remaster of Paris 1919, and yet so many amazing, powerful, finished studio songs of his remain lost in deleted or never reissued nowheresville (eg "Mercenaries", "Hedda Gabler", "Rosegarden Funeral of Sores", "Model Beirut Recital"...)

23. BlueSpeedway

It's OK, my post was too vague, I can see how you thought what you did :)

24. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

It's been rumored for 40 years now that Cale is sitting on a stack of tape reels with all kinds of Velvets goodies that Lou would never agree to release because he and Cale don't like each other. Maybe some of that stuff will finally surface in this release.

DeeThomaz and Michael Wittrup like this.
  25. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I have no idea what will be included as extras on this edition, but it seems to me that it would make sense to include the tracks from Cale's last session in early '68 (e.g. 'Hey Mr Rain', 'Stephanie Says'), which would make for a clean break with the next all-Yule installment (which will have a lot of outtakes to wrangle).

DeeThomaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.