Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Hey guys, glad to hear you are all liking the course. Anybody else taking it? I've not yet begun it myself as I've had little access to the computer for a few weeks. But I should be able to get to it this week or next week. Is anyone doing the assignments?

:cheers:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

You are quite correct. Elly Ameling's peak career probably ran till the mid 80's. From the mid 80's onward, as I became more absorbed in baroque music, Emma Kirkby became my favorite soprano. At this point, I am not sure if I am drawn to any particular soprano at her peak career.

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

4. john greenwood

No - listening to the sonatas carefully is about all I've had time for.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I will be a lot more interested to get the incomplete Haydn's Symphonies by Christopher Hogwood at a rock-bottom price.

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

I did the first one, and I'm in the process of writing up a response to the second, which is a lot more taxing on my "learned everything from record jackets and reviews" background. Well, it never hurts to stretch yourself a bit.

7. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Sweet. I ordered the new Horowitz Carnegie Hall set for 89.99. Music buying budget depleted, for now.

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Holy cow, there are some awesome prices there -- $60 for the Murray Perahia 40 Years set is outstanding. I think I paid around $100. Well worth having, regardless.

9. john greenwood

I paid $130 when it came out - and that was a good price then. And it is definitely wirth having. People are crazy not to grab it now.
    They have the Angeles Quartet performing the Haydn Cycle in two different boxes - one at $100 and one at $60. Do I think better liner notes are worth $40?

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Negative, IMO.

Just looked over some of the other listings -- this sale is really remarkable. I'm going to pick up some of those "Album Collections" (e.g. Fleisher, Graffman) that I was holding back on before.

11. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Sorry, I've been out a few days. I don't recall seeing it for $125, was that at Amazon (Bernstein box)?

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

On sale for $90 at bn.com right now.

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

^Thanks, I'm on it.

14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

By independent holdings, I hope you mean completely separate business entities.

15. john greenwood

Good timing! It's under $100 at B&N.

Edit - I see Sean beat me to it.

16. john greenwood

Well ClassicsToday trashed both cycles. :)

I have more than half the symphonies (sometimes in multiple versions) conducted by Dorati, Szell, Bernstein, Marriner, Leppard and Pinnock, so I'm set. The Quartets on the other hand . . .

I bought a lot this week. If it's still there a week from now, I'll grab them.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I've never bought from B&N before, but it looks like I have to purchase a membership(?), and with this 40% off classical sale, I guess I better get used to the way things are done there. Starting 10/1, online purchases made with you Discover card enjoy a 5% discount up to $1500 in purchases until 12/31 at midnight. I intend to maximize my discount with this huge sale.

Doesn't B&N have to charge sales tax on all purchases, though?

18. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Ah, why did I not know that? I put my order through already, on another card. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get another chance to take advantage of that offer before the end of the year.

No membership necessary for bn.com -- at least I'm not aware that I have one, and I did get the discount. But yes, I do believe they charge sales tax in every state, as they have retail locations everywhere.

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Correct.

20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I only watched the first lecture so far.

21. George P

22. George P

Good to know!

23. George P

Gonna start a new thread....standby...

24. George P

:wave:

New thread created, please post here from now on...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.