Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'? (part 4)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It was a ricochet.

2. nbakid2000

I'm not saying I don't believe you at all, but I'm trying to find some sources on this type of thing and Google is coming up with nothing. Do you have any links for me on this type of thing?

3. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Not out of nowhere at all. We saw him get the ricin, we knew he was going after her. As others have said, a character who was capable of what Walt was capable of would have no trouble doctoring a sugar packet. And, although Lydia was very careful about some things (where Todd sat in the cafe, for instance), she was so obsessed with her sweetener that I have no trouble believing she'd just tear right into it.

Had we been tipped off to it in a very obvious way, the scene would be been completely different. As it was, we had a nuanced and puzzling interaction between the three of them (and then Todd and Lydia after Walt left). We were left, for a moment, thinking Walt had lost it, that he was dying and not in control. Then the tearing of the packet and it was all clear.

Brilliantly done.

4. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

It seems like the only character that escaped OK is Saul. Sure, new identity and loss of lawyer income, but surely he had lots of money stashed somewhere. He had no emotional ties, so he didn't suffer in that aspect as well. All things considered, Saul pretty much came out unscathed.

JimC likes this.
  5. nbakid2000

OK, you get a packet of sugar and see if you can tamper with it and then give it to a friend and see if they notice it. Let us know the results.

6. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I guess you don't remember the Tylenol poisonings 30 years ago?

7. nbakid2000

I do, but that was before tamper resistant seals, child proof caps, etc. became common. That's WHY they became common.

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  8. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I am not a fictional character who, among many other things, stole thousands of gallons for Methylamine from a train, completely undetected. Seriously, that flew with you but the tampering of a paper sugar packet isn't plausible? Strange...

Google Tylenol for one of many cases of product tampering.

9. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

The reveal of Badger and Skinny Pete as the "two best hitmen west of the Mississippi" was such a great comedic scene; I'm glad I was wrong :)

And what a fantastic line by Skinny Pete that could sum up the whole series: "That whole thing felt kinda shady, you know, like, morality-wise".

JimC, jriems and nbakid2000 like this.
  10. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

If I were a genius-level chemist, I'm sure I could find a way to open and re-seal a Stevia packet without the tampering being detected.

JimC, Macman and somnar like this.
  11. enocaster

enocaster Well-Known Member

The packet is likely sealed at the ends with glue. Walt could have steamed the edge, maybe even adding an ingredient to the steam that loosens the glue quickly and easily, so the paper doesn't get too soggy.

JimC likes this.
  12. Macman

Macman Senior Member

And sugar packets are tamper-proof? They would be easiest thing in the world to mess with, especially when some of them leak to begin with. Even if Lydia saw a tiny hole in one, do you really think she's going to think of poison? I know I never have.

JimC likes this.
  13. nbakid2000

It's always the little things that demand the most credibility - and that failed.

14. nbakid2000

A) I've never seen sugar packets leak and I've handled them all my life at restaurants
    B) They would be more easy to notice tampering with than Tylenol bottles with no tamper-proof seals

15. Macman

Macman Senior Member

If you say so.

I'm continually amazed by the things that people find unbelievable. It's usually the most trivial thing surrounded by the truly hard to believe.

16. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Ridiculous. Here's a short list of elements of last night's episode that weren't soooo plausible:

- How about the Schwartz's - who were obviously very concerned about security (notice how long the alarm code was) - leaving their front door unlocked once they were inside. Then not hearing the very loud opening and closing of the door - even though there were just feet away and there was no music playing in the house.

- Two crystal meth addicts being able to follow Walt's instructions - to the letter - with the laser pointers? Please.

- The machine gun thing? The fact that it killed all of them?

- Walt slipping past (both ways) the DEA dudes outside Skylar's house?

- The keys in the Volvo? For that matter, the police car coming and going while Walt was in the Volvo?

I'm in no way being critical of the episode, just pointing out that - if you want to pick an plot point that wasn't particularly believable - the sugar packet isn't it.

Again, I loved it - brilliant tv and maybe the best series finale I've ever seen.

Laservampire, JimC and UglyPineapple like this.
  17. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Here's perhaps a better question: When is the last time you've looked at a sugar packet to try to discern whether or not it's been tampered with? My answer is, "Never." I don't ever recall looking at a packet of sugar or sweetener - in my entire life - trying to see if it might or might not have been tampered with.

In my opinion, even if the packet didn't appear perfect in every way to an untampered-with packet, the likelihood of Lydia - or anyone else for that matter - noticing the imperfections before ripping the thing open and pouring it into her cup is probably close to zero.

18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

what-the-wha-who? :confused:

Tex_Writer likes this.
  19. The BEST TV show ever! Tops my previous top show, "The Wire".

Now, about Jesse, is his getting away really a good thing? The burden of all has he done, all the killing, or associated killings, and 2 girlfriends that lost their lives because him. Might be too much for him to bear. Just saying...

20. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

The gun didn't kill all of them. Todd was strangled by Jesse and Jack was shot by Walt.

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

No to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure they had the music on prior to the opening/closing of the front door. I could very well be wrong about that, however.

Tex_Writer likes this.
  22. But how do you get the ricin into the Stevia packet and reseal the packet without leaving noticeable evidence that it was tampered with?

23. nbakid2000

You're absolutely correct in all of that. I found it all unbelievable too. However, the sugar packet was the LEAST plausible thing in the episode. That and the car keys. That was part was ridiculous.

24. somnar

somnar Senior Member

My bad - didn't notice that.

25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That was actually set-up in the second season, I think, with one of the web-only episodes, and it also presaged Badger later in the episode.

In the episode I'm referring to, if I'm remembering correctly, Mr. White takes Badger with him to break into a house to retrieve a vacuum cleaner that Sklyar sold in a yard sale. Mr. White had hidden thousands of dollars in the vacuum. He brought Badger to pick the lock, but it turns out that Badger has no tools. Badger suggests they look under the mat for the key instead. Voila! "You're welcome!"

EDIT: here it is -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.