Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'? (part 4)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Huell came out unscathed and probably pretty wealthy depending on how much he skimmed off those barrels.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Watching the mechanics of Walt tampering with a packet of Stevia holds no dramatic interest to me. The plausibility of him being able to figure out how to do so does not feel like a stretch to me. Fortunately for me, I was able to enjoy the episode.

As an aside, I am also comfortable not knowing all of the mechanics of how Brock was poisoned with Lily of the Valley.

3. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I think some of the tension was due to the fact Walter was standing there, as we found out when the camera panned in. No doubt she was at least a little afraid of him at that point.

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The whole point is that someone would KNOW something was "off" about the packets. However, as I sat back a few minutes ago and thought about it, she would know it wasn't normal but would not think anything about it.

My friend had a real problem with them not searching Walt's car after he pulled up but I explained that they weren't expecting him to do anything like that - they were fully expecting to just take him in the back and kill him. They really had no reason to search the car.

5. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Right. And my guess is Walt had the packet prepared before he entered the diner. Giving him ample time and options. Not sure why that minor detail bothers people at all.

Starwanderer and JimC like this.
  6. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

The only thing about the episode that seemed too unbelievable to me was how Walt could load a barrel full of $9 million in such a short amount of time. He steals a car when heavy law enforcement is moving in on the small town. If he takes that car back up to the cabin it would leave tracks which I would think would raise suspicions and the loading of the money into the trunk would significantly delay when he could leave town.

I believe we are led to believe he makes it out of NH with just the $100k in the box. By the time it's revealed that he has the whole $9 million we are so impressed with the Gretchen and Elliott twist that no thought is really given to this detail.

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Someone on AV Club was asking why the cops didn't notice the tracks from the bar to the car.

mmars982 likes this.
  8. enocaster

enocaster Well-Known Member

Why Lydia has to die:
    We know she's paranoid and hates loose ends - remember how she hired hitmen to take out Mike and his guys?
    Skyler sees Lydia at the carwash.
    Todd and company threaten Skyler to never mention Lydia to cops, knowing Skyler is trying to avoid prison.
    Skyler tells Walt about the threat to Holly.
    If all goes as planned, Walt knows Lydia will see Skyler as a loose end in the absence of the Nazi threat.

jriems likes this.
  9. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

But didn't Marie say something to the effect of, "let's have a truce", which implies already existing tension?

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Not to mention he has no money, no prospects, just like back when he was trying to get a job at a bank.

But I tried not to think about that when watching him get away. I was too busy thinking, "WOO HOO! GO JESSE! YEAH, B*****!" That was more fun :)

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Think about that again for a moment ... I'm pretty sure Marie is FAR from OK.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Interesting thought. I also thought the Nazis were supposed to be a "compare and contrast" example to show how Walt's morals had declined over the course of two years. In the very beginning, after his terrifying experience with Tuco, his main argument to Jesse for working with Gus Fring was that he was "professional" -- "We'll never have to deal with a maniac like Tuco again" (paraphrasing). Fast-forward about 18 months, and Walt was willing to consort with Jack and his crew, not really caring or thinking about the ramifications. But Walt was all about having total control over his situation, and he aligned himself with a group that he couldn't manipulate, to his lasting regret.

turnersmemo, Rockinrob and JimC like this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well obviously Lydia didn't suspect anything was off so your point is a bit moot.

JimC likes this.
  14. Macman

Macman Senior Member

You're right, I forgot about that.

15. user33977

user33977 Banned

Not for me. As much as I liked “Breaking Bad”, the epic depth of “The Wire” still is unmatched and leaves this tale in its own league. The way “The Wire” was told was much more laconic and not as striking and sometimes cartoon like.

GentleSenator likes this.
  16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I would wager that 99 out of 100 wouldn't think twice, just grab the packet and drop it into the tea. Lydia always looks bothered about something (not exactly hot and bothered, though hot!) and I don't see her paying attention to it, she knows there are packets of her prerequisite sweetener there and Walt certainly made sure there was only one to choose.

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Excellent ending to excellent series.
    It was great that Jesse survived and it was predictable that Walt dies.
    One fine series really.

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Enough about the goddamned Stevia packets !

20. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

plus, she's a shoplifter . . .

matty j and Ed Hughes like this.
  21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet (I'm mostly avoiding this thread in case of spoilers)... but the final set of episodes will be released on DVD on November 26th.

22. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

I don't think Walt would have allowed Lydia to die without her knowing it was him who poisoned her. And if she hadn't called Todd and Walt answered, she wouldn't have known the truth.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow. Finally watched the episode. Very satisfying end to a great series IMO. Unlike the final Dexter, which pissed me off royally, so much so that I am thinking of canceling my Amazon pre-order for the Dexter boxset. Gotta head to the Dexter thread and get a pulse over there....but back to BB...

The things I wanted to see happen most in the finale was for Jesse to escape & for Jack's pack (especially Todd) get mowed down by Walt's machine gun somehow. I mostly got my wish but Jesse being the one to kill Todd was even better.

I get & agree with the various observations on implausibility of several things that happened in this episode (the ricin in the whatever packet, the machine gun being able to mow everybody down on autopilot - I guess EVERYONE was in that clubhouse and no one was elsewhere in the compound AT ALL? - etc) but it worked for me anyways. There have been things in past episodes that don't hold up for me in "real life" - like how did Huell/spelling? ever get away with stealing that pack of cigarettes from Jesse with the ricin spiked one in the first place without Jesse noticing, but I just go with the flow, it's TV, somehow all this stuff just worked out this way, and I'm not meant to know how exactly.

2 things I am reflecting on - although Jesse "got away", his life his ruined, he is a wanted fugitive at this point (the feds could even think he killed Hank/Gomey), he has no money, no house, no job, nowhere to live, his ex-gf is dead, etc etc etc - what is next for him?

And also, the strikingly huge difference in how the show ended up now as compared to the way it originally ended 2-3 seasons ago with Walt "winning" after blowing up Gus, sitting there relaxing on his patio as the camera panned to the plant he used to poison Brock - at that time, unless I am mistaken, that was how the series WAS going to end, that Gilligan & Co didn't know if there would even be any next season so they wrote an ending then and but for the grace of AMC/producers/something we got the gift of another season (which AMC decided to torture us all by splitting it up over 2 friggin years).

turnersmemo and ribors like this.
  24. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

By letting Lydia know she had been poisoned with ricin, would she not have a chance to go the hospital and recover?

25. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Absolutely not. Done deal.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.