Sexual innuendoes on 1960s TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I remember seeing an episode of Groucho Marx's you bet your life in which Grouch asked his female contestant if she was married and did she have any children.

She replied, "yes, I am married for eight years and we have seven children."

"SEVEN children???" Groucho responds.

"Yes," she answers, names them all and gives their ages (all are, of course, just one year apart).

There's a pause, then Groucho replies, "I like my cigar, but I take it out every once in a while."

Chip TRG, krock2009, Quark and 2 others like this.
  2. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I just went through the Batman DVDs, and I was unable to find that line anywhere.

In Catwoman's first appearance ("The Purr-fect Crime/Better Luck Next Time"), she falls into supposedly bottomless pit, so there are no tender moments with Batman.

The next time she shows up ("Hot Off The Griddle/The Cat and the Fiddle"), she falls off a ledge and as Batman pulls her up, he is pushed out the window by a goon. CW hints around that she likes BM, but she's told that crimefighting leaves no time for dating. (This might be the episode you refered to, but Batman actually tries to save Catwoman before getting pushed out the window himself.)

"The Cat's Meow/The Bat's Kow Tow" has the "steamiest" exchange between the two as Catwoman asks Batman if it would be OK to kiss him. Batman stammers out something how kissing is a perfectly natural thing for two people to do, but they are interrupted by Robin. Batman asks for a raincheck on the kiss and Robin exclaims "holy mush!" as BM & CW walk past.

At the end of "Scat! Darn Catwoman", Catwoman tells Batman she wants to be with him, but when she says they should kill Robin, Batman tells her she's not ready to live in society. (She then falls backward off a building, and Batman cries into his bat-shaped (and labeled) "batkerchief" when he thinks she must have been killed.)

The last time Julie Newmar appears as Catwoman (in "Batman Displays His Knowledge"), there is a scene where CW is supposedly going to give herself up, and while Batman is obviously getting hot and bothered, he is still all virtuous and noble. (This scene ends with a fight as Catwoman was just trying to kill Batman after all.)

So that's pretty much it. No utility belt comment at all.

The biggest sexual innuendo in the series might actually be between Bruce Wayne and a character played by Lee Meriwether (she had been kidnapped by King Tut). The scene has the woman trying to get Bruce into her apartment for "milk and cookies" and that she'd baked the cookies herself.

Bruce then breaks the fourth wall and tells the viewer that man cannot live by crimefighting alone.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

According to Snopes, this didn't happen:

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/grouchocigar.asp

Peter_R and krock2009 like this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^^^^^Robert Dwan (producer) also denies that story in his book.

Peter_R and krock2009 like this.
  5. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I saw it with my own eyes, heard it with my own ears; Snoops is not always the be-all-end-all. In fact my mom & dad, both now departed, were there.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Lots of people "remember" things that didn't happen. Nothing personal, but if I'm asked to pick between ample documentation something didn't happen and someone's 60-year-old memory that it DID, I'm going with the documentation - especially when all involved deny it ever happened... :shrug:

7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Good for you.

8. The original clip is also featured in the movie Confessions of A Dangerous Mind.

9. houston

houston Forum Resident

OMG! I'm almost certain this is the episode... I never knew untill you said it, that the punchline had been told for years... but it is very real, I know that I saw it...on TV, maybe 7 years ago? it was startling, or I would not have remembered...never knew it ws talked or rumoured about.

you must be viewing edited dvd's...that quote was there!

I hope someone else chimes in, I'm not making this up!

10. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I remember that one. It must have been one of the later seasons. I remember the client was watching the Stevens' TV and there were girls in bikinis at a beach showing on the TV, then his wife makes the "sex maniac" comment. It was long ago, so I can't remember if it was a Dick York or Dick Sargent episode, but since the show was on until 1972, I can certainly see that term being used in the final 2 or 3 seasons.

11. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I remember on Gidget (Sally Field in title role) an episode where a guy she had her eye on had been hanging out with a girl named "Pokey"-Gidget asked if she was slow and was told no...

12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The DVDs are all from studio masters - 25 minutes long each, complete with the "place commercial here" inserts and "next week's villain" promos. They are more complete than anything that has been shown in syndication.

Adam West has been making the "strange stirring in my utility belt" quote gag for years, yet this supposedly infamous line in not up on Youtube, not on the DVD set, and not listed in the IMDb's quote section.

I'd bet Mr. West said the line in his commentary for the 60's Batman movie, and I'm sure he probably used it in his "Adam West...Naked" (making of Batman) documentary.

"Play it again, Sam," was never uttered in "Casablanca", yet people swear it was. Unless someone can produce the clip of Batman actually saying the line in question, I'm convinced it's just an urban myth.

Lost In The Flood and houston like this.
  13. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

There is a "Get Smart" episode where news comes through that KAOS has dried Niagara Falls and Maxwell Smart says "Those poor honeymooners have nothing to do".

Lost In The Flood and OldSoul like this.
  14. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

I agree. Innuendo requires creative writers and now days that’s not necessary because it’s lowest common denominator humor on a lot of the sitcoms. I didn’t think it could get worse than last year but it seems fart jokes are all the rage this year.:shake: I don’t turn the TV on much anymore.

Anyone seen the TV movie Harrison Bergeron? It’s coming true.

15. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

2 Broke Girls got so bad with that, I had to stop watching. It was bad the first season, but season 2 was just horrific.
    Sometimes the funniest jokes are hidden innuendos.

Dance Mxyzptlk likes this.
  16. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

It may have been the last or second to last season. And it's with Dick Sargent for sure.

17. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

This is from the 70's but there was a funny moment on MASH when Russians were spotted outside of the camp, and Radar is trying to tell Col. Potter this. Potter interrupts, saying "Bolsheviks" and Radar replies, "No, honest!"

18. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

People LIE - as demonstrated by the Bob Eubanks incident referenced earlier in the thread. I remember snopes had a page debunking that Newlywed Game incident too, until the tape turned up and they had to correct it. I witnessed the infamous Carson-Gabor Tonight Show with the ***** cat. I know what I saw, it was a large white Persian cat. One can only hope a tape of that will turn up as well...

Derek

19. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Also June did wear a pearl necklace quite often! :)

Mister Charlie likes this.
  20. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I remember another one from the Newlywed Game: Woman contestant asks the guys, "I love to play the trumpet. If you were a trumpet and I were to blow you, what kind of sound would you make? :uhhuh:

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  21. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Just had to mention the first episode of the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show, Lucy Takes A Cruise to Havana, where we see how Lucy met Ricky Ricardo in Havana. The drum battle between the two of them, and the looks on their respective faces afterwards, is as if they just consummated their relationship.
    Lucy, breathlessly: What did we just say?
    Ricky: Not here, please!

OldSoul likes this.
  22. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Sounds like my marriage today !

23. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Here we go:

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Although anything is possible, the fact that Groucho or Dwan had no real recollection of it does seem pretty damning - Hard to believe that would both completely forget a comedic exchange of that magnitude.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Drifter and Peter_R like this.
  25. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

That's a Kurt Vonnegut short story, and one of my personal faves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.