SH Spotlight Adventures in Mastering: First album by AMERICA on SACD for Audio Fidelity:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

How do the vocals sound?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:laugh:
    Steve took the vocals out of the mix, haven't you heard ? It's an instrumental album now.

3. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I received mine and listened to it all. Compared it back and forth with the History greatest hits cd on the 3 songs on both. They sound very different, more than just mastering. I then read on wiki that George Martin did new mixes for the first 7 songs on History.

In any case the AF sounds really good. Very full and the guitars really have a new presence. The vocals are more balanced and overall the music "pops" like never before. And if all you know is History, expect the new disc to sound like a whole new experience...

Joy-of-radio and BZync like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes. "Sandman" has some lead guitar parts on History not included on the mix from the first album (although it also ends much sooner).

5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Would love for Steve to do a couple Greatest Hits albums from the 70s like he did for Eagles, Steve Miller, Elton John and Doobies on DCC....starting with America History and James Taylor!

The recent Dylan's give me hope!

BZync likes this.
  6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

The Audio Fidelity of Heart's Greatest Hits is fantastic.

7. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

I don't have an SACD player, is the remastered redbook version a marked improvement over the previous Warner Bros CD? I've always thought the WB CD sounded a bit flat and 2-dimensional.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I'm not much of a fan of America (I don't hate it, but it's just not my thing) and I don't have any other release of it to compare it to, but this release (only listened to the SACD layer) sure does sound very, very good to my ears.

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Just played it and think it sounds great. I do have a question; it seems like the lone vocal on Horse With No Name is a bit quieter in the mix at the beginning than the rest of the songs on the disc. Am I to assume this was the way the tapes sounded? I don't recall the beginning vocal that low.

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Just received a notice from Amazon that they're scheduled to deliver the SACD on October 15.

Hope that's the real deal!

:sponge::wantsome:

11. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

This disc sounds fantastic! Good work and thanks Steve...

Bob

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  12. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Sounds like another winner. Such a smooth sounding album

13. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

$18.19 at Amazon now. Gonna get me one. :D

14. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Looks like a very small delay on Amazon's estimated arrival date, looking forward to cranking this one.

15. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Yeah, mine is all instrumental but very, very crankable. America is now safe in Sweden................

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I returned from a business trip on Friday night and two new SACDs had arrived from AF.

I played "Touch" by Sarah McLachlan first, since I had listened to the CD (and the CD of "Solace") just before I went away. I was surprised at how much better the sound on the SACD was compared to my old Arista CD. Often when a new AF disc arrives the improvement is not that clear, but with this one it is very obvious. Excellent work by Kevin Gray on the transfer. I played "Touch" several times, as I am a fan of Sarah McLachlan and have all her albums, although I must say that I am not as big a fan as I once was. "Solace" is a better album in my opinion, so I hope AF sell a few of "Touch" and can do "Solace".

On to "America".

Wow, what an enjoyable album. I've played this quite a few times over the weekend. The sound is brilliant, although I don't have a benchmark for this one (I have the Greatest Hits, but those are remixes as I found out from Steve). Quite honestly, I don't need to make any comparisons with this album, not because I think the sonics are fantastic (but they are), but it's just so addictive and enjoyable - hard to stop playing it.

I'm sure I had this album when it came out, but I don't know if I enjoyed it as much then as I do now. It is a bit lightweight, and I was into more "meaningful" stuff then. But now - it's just perfect. What a great job by Steve on this album. Super.

17. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Did you also get the recent Poco remaster? How would you compare it to America?

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sure - the Poco album did not make much of an impact, to be honest.

20. Myke

Looks like Amazon underestimated the popularity of this release ... Temporarily Out Of Stock

Pre ordered August 23rd, shipped yesterday for me.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    HAmmer likes this.
  21. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

From Amazon

Hello,

We're sorry for the delay in shipping the order you placed on September 10, 2013 We have good news -- the order is now being shipped! You will receive a shipping confirmation with an updated delivery estimate within the next business day, for the following item(s):

America "America (Hybrid SACD)"

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

UPS delivered mine yesterday (Columbus Day). I'm not familiar with this band, but I'm hoping to enjoy it as much as Metralla!

23. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

A shame Ken Scott used it. Great you and Steve put the dedication into getting thing's as right as you can. The results show. Hopefully my order will arrive soon.

24. Myke

Mine's at my home, but I'm not ! Yet another upside to retirement.

apple-richard likes this.
  25. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

You lucky so and so! In both regards.............. :)