Beatles 1966 interviews with Maureen Cleave

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rediffusion, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Somebody on this blog has taken the time to reproduce the Maureen Cleave interviews that ran in the London Evening Standard in 1966. It's interesting reading and of course includes this paragraph...

"Experience has sown few seeds of doubt in him: not that his mind is closed, but it’s closed round whatever he believes at the time. “Christianity will go,” he said. “It will vanish and shrink. I needn’t argue about that; I’m right and I will be proved right. We’re more popular than Jesus now; I don’t know which will go first — rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It’s them twisting it that ruins it for me.” He is reading extensively about religion."

Here's the interviews (click on names below):
    John
    Ringo
    Paul
    George
    Brian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I never knew that the (in)famous Lennon feature was part of a series of stories. I guess Ringo never said anything to compete with "We're more popular with Jesus now..."

rediffusion likes this.
  3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

He said "Jesus doesn't sign autographs either. Peace and Love."

4. Thanks rediffusion for this!

The Paul bit is quite interesting! He might even come across here as being MORE offensive than John in the end (bashing American culture or way of life as he does)!

Anybody knows how far Paul's weekly music composing lessons went, and who was the teacher?

5. rediffusion

Maybe it was Jane Asher's mother Margaret who had also taught George Martin in the 1940's
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Eliot

RobGeurtsen likes this.
  6. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

:biglaugh:

7. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

George's bit too... wow.

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting!

9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Unsurprisingly, they're all very similar in tone to the BBC's 'Pop Profile' interviews which are about to appear on 'Live At The BBC Vol. 2'.

10. rediffusion

See, after almost 50 years we all know about the Maureen Cleave interview(s) but how many of us have actually read them in their entirety? That's why we need Mark Lewisohn to uncover what has been available for all these years and weave them into a proper biography rather than recycling the same old stories, quotes, myths, etc. It doesn't take too much digging.

RobMac, JakeM, foxylady and 1 other person like this.
  11. Yes.

12. rediffusion

Ringo talking about Zac...
    “It’s a drag wondering how he’ll grow up - a killer or queer or something..."

Different times I guess :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.