The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Just watched ep3 and while I still enjoyed the show I have to wonder if it will keep my interest past a few more, just not sure it really has any "there" there.

2. I don't Know how Justified has gotten silly--more convoluted perhaps but not silly. As for The Blacklist --of course it's silly but that's part of the fun.

They shouldn't have made it so obvious as to the relationship between Spader's character and the FBI gal.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

She did ask him about it point blank, and all Spader would say at the end was, "it has to do with your father." But he didn't go all Darth Vader on her. I think it's too easy to assume Spader is her father; perhaps he's a relative, or perhaps he owed her father a huge favor, and the man made him promise to help her on his deathbed.

4. Could be. I haven't see that episode just yet. I just finally got around to watching the first episode last night(been too busy with work and other stuff including putting a new roof on the house).

5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

What I love about this show (and Marvel Agents of Shield) is how obvious the bad-guy's henchmen are stunt-men, and they appear to have all worked at an amusement park doing an old west show. (Although I think the final episode of Burn Notice is the silliest of all time.)

The stunts are so poorly stages and acted in many cases that it just seems silly.

I'll keep DVR'ing this show - I have the HD space.

misterdecibel likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I thought last night's episode was a bump up in quality from the previous one.

Although the idea that the dentist with a wife could also be available around the world to work his magic doesn't really make any sense at all.

7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My thought when Lizzy escaped was if he'd put his clothes on before chasing after her..guess not :)

8. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

"veriloquent"

"...endless hours of Job-like lamentations..."

As of episode #4 the FBI are still bumbling idiots, but Spader's lines are indeed a treat to the ears!

Karnak and Paul J like this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

even spader's body language is a treat to watch.

10. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

my favorite Spader line & delivery...."That's a pretty blouse"

jpelg likes this.
  11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I was reading that the production designers made all of the scenery out of beef jerky so that Spader could chew it for an entire hour every week. :)

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Sigh. This show has some cool ideas but it's just so poorly written now. Everyone who's seen Breaking Bad knows the acid was scientifically inaccurate in the tub scene, and the medics could tell in 30 seconds the heart attack was chemically induced??!!

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I said the same thing! If the "Stewmaker" used hydrofluoric acid to destroy the bodies, it would've burned up the bathtub. Stupid, stupid, stupid. And the acid doesn't completely liquify the body -- that would take weeks and weeks to do, and even then, it'd leave a lot of bones, and those wouldn't make it down the drain.

A lot of the interchange between the villain and the heroine was completely lifted from Manhunter (aka Red Dragon), too, so they owe royalties to Thomas Harris and Michael Mann, if you ask me. Very derivative.

But I still like watching James Spader, because his character in the show is so charismatic and funny, and I like the way that, no matter what, he's always in 100% control of the situation. It'll be interesting if they ever do an episode where things go horribly wrong and suddenly the FBI chick has to rescue him for a change. And they have to decide what they're gonna do with her husband.

14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Perhaps shows like Breaking Bad have forever spoiled us on other shows that blow off the technical details. I find myself questioning everything now, and my suspension of disbelief has suffered. Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, otherwise I may never be able to get into certain TV shows again! :p

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the thing that kills TBL for me is the Heins Doofenschmirtz-ary of the FBI as portrayed on the show. I'm getting sick and tired of the incompetence displayed in virtually every episode. How about showing them to be clever and professional occasionally? It's like the keystone cops week after week, and it's getting old - fast.

rburly and Dave like this.
  15. nbakid2000

I can't believe they had the balls to try to pull that scene off after Breaking Bad. Do they think their audience is that stupid? That's what stuns me.

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm going to stop watching this one. Spader is great but the rest. . . bleh. I may check it out next fall on disc if I see comments that it improves.

17. nbakid2000

What does impress me (to a degree) is the amount of violence they're getting away with - almost on 'Saw' or 'Seven' levels. The first episode we had vicious repeated stabbings of the husband, and this episode we basically had a torture scene, not including the acid bathtub.

The only thing really keeping me hooked at this point though is the husband storyline. I'm really curious to know where that's gonna go. Oh, and the lead female is really hot too.

18. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Yes she is!
    image.jpg

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, that was a little too easy, Spader knocking the old guy into the tub at the end. You can't tell me he wouldn't screamed holy bloody murder for at least 2 minutes. And I don't think even hydrofluoric acid eats away flesh that fast.

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Was kind of liking this show, but the whole "Stewmaker" plot crossed my personal creepiness threshold, I have a hard enough day without coming home to watch some naked saggy-fleshed pervert drop people in acid baths and torture Lizzy. Not judging others who have no problem with that kind of stuff, but I got up and walked out during The Silence of the Lambs, just not my thing.

Also, beyond that, for all the hype that Spader is getting, it's a pretty one-note performance, and his cocksure one-liners are not enough to keep me watching.

The guy who played Brody's friend on Homeland is hilariously wooden as Mr. FBI Hero, as well.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Every episode she looks more and more like (Mandy) Moore

nbakid2000 likes this.
  23. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

The FBI is the gang that couldn't shoot straight , this FBI can't do anything ,plain stupid

rburly likes this.
  24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

You've just put me off her.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I guess we need to wait for Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar" on the soundtrack.

Paul J likes this.