Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

From Sinatra.com (October 29, 2013):

Universal Music Group And Frank Sinatra Enterprises Announce Global Licensing Initiative For The Legendary Entertainer's Reprise Catalog

Sinatra's Capitol Records and Reprise Records Repertoire United For The First Time With New "Signature Sinatra" Imprint

Universal Music Group (UMG), the world's leading music company, has licensed global audio catalog rights to Frank Sinatra's timeless Reprise recordings from Frank Sinatra Enterprises (FSE). The multi-year agreement unites Sinatra's classic Capitol albums from the 1950's with his signature Reprise albums from the 1960's for the first time, creating unprecedented opportunities for new releases. The deal further expands the existing relationship between FSE and UMG, which first licensed the international rights to the Reprise catalog in 2009.

The agreement enables the release of a broad range of Sinatra titles under a new "Signature Sinatra" imprint, which will be backed by marketing initiatives building toward the hundredth anniversary of Sinatra's birth in 2015. UMG, which is already home to Sinatra's critically acclaimed concept albums from his Capitol years (including "In The Wee Small Hours," "Swing Easy!" and "Come Fly With Me"), will now represent Sinatra's recordings on Reprise Records, a catalog that includes such popular-culture milestones as "Strangers In The Night," "That's Life," "Theme From New York, New York," "It Was A Very Good Year" and "My Way."

“Frank Sinatra's music is iconic and enduring, and we are honored to be selected to build on our success working with FSE and the Sinatra family with exciting and innovative products marking the centennial celebration under a new 'Signature Sinatra' imprint worthy of his rich legacy,” said Lucian Grainge, Chairman and CEO of UMG.

“The Sinatra sound appeals to the broadest range of music lovers in every corner of the world, spanning generations,” said Max Hole, Chairman and CEO of UMG International. “By combining the Reprise and Capitol collections for the first time ever, this expanded relationship not only offers opportunities to create a whole new slate of offerings but also will keep the 'Chairman of the Board's' great legacy shining bright.”

“We today approach the Sinatra Centennial with an opportunity to showcase our father's prodigious body of work to a world of new and loyal fans,” stated Nancy, Frank, and Tina Sinatra.

“This new arrangement will allow FSE to present Sinatra's music in a coordinated and consistent manner, and enable more cohesive catalog initiatives, at a time when access to music is ubiquitous and more instantaneous than ever before,” added Robert Finkelstein, Co-Chairman of Frank Sinatra Enterprises."

One of the most important pop culture figures of the 20th century, Frank Sinatra's career spanned many disciplines. As a recording artist, actor, cabaret and concert star, radio, film and television personality, and occasional producer, director and conductor, Frank Sinatra's achievements earned him three Oscars, two Golden Globes, 10 personal Grammys (and a total of 21 including those for his albums), an Emmy, a Cecil B. DeMille Award, and a Peabody. One of the most prestigious awards Sinatra received was the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award by the Motion Picture Society of America. This award, presented only a few times in the Academy's history, is given to an "individual in the motion picture industry whose humanitarian efforts have brought credit to the industry." Sinatra's charitable legacy is legendary. His pioneering fight against prejudice is one of the important facets that shaped his life from childhood on the streets of Hoboken, New Jersey. His short film, "The House I Live In" received a special Oscar in 1945.

Throughout his 60-year career, "Ol' Blue Eyes" demonstrated a remarkable ability to thrive in changing times, moving deftly from the swing era to the rock-and-roll era. He performed on more than 1,400 recordings, was awarded 31 gold, nine platinum, three double platinum and one triple platinum album by the Recording Industry Association of America. He also appeared in 58 films, and produced eight motion pictures. Frank Sinatra was awarded Lifetime Achievement Awards from the Grammys, The Screen Actors Guild, The Kennedy Center and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), as well as the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal, and remains a legend and inspiration to thousands for his contributions to culture and the arts.

Frank Sinatra began the golden age in which American popular music became a universal language and this extraordinary creative genius is its most articulate spokesman worldwide. Sinatra's contribution to our life and times extends far beyond his music, to embrace an exuberance, a zest for life, a sense of style and a glorious self-confidence that define, for all time, what it meant to be young at heart and have the world on a string. His spirit and vision continue to be defined by the wisdom and insight from the legacy of work he left behind.

A special “Signature Sinatra” promotional video can be accessed through this link: http://umusic.ly/SignatureSinatra.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

And then there were two:Sony & UMG.In this age of diminished physical product,one wonders what an overhauling of the catalogs under one hand would bring about.Also wonder if anyone at Sony would contact the parties in charge to possibly do a mammoth "every studio master take" superbox.The centennial of Frank's birth is two years away.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

So, all of what Bob has shared with us above brings me two immediate thoughts. One is that I am NOT re-buying all of these same albums again, unless the names of Steve Hoffman or Mobile Fidelity are somehow involved. Which brings me to my second thought, what now happens to those SACD's from Mobile Fidelity, that I have been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting the past two years for? Supposedly, the SACD of "Point Of No Return" is in the pressing stage, right?

Preston likes this.
  4. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

It will be very interesting to see where this will go in the next few years and especially in 2015.

5. houston

houston Forum Resident

put out the Mother of all best of's, a 56-song, 2 cd set, for the Sinatra Century, and be done

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Wonder what Sinatra himself would have thought of this development . . .

7. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

What is still undone is a COMPLETE Capitol box. On the other hand that being said I wonder if after MOFI completes their MONO CDS... will we see a MONO Capitol box?

melstapler and wave like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Combo label box set in the future ?

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

"MY! MY!"

howlinrock likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

"Way !"

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Early 2014 will see the release of a new Valentine’s Day-themed compilation of love songs drawn from the Capitol and Reprise recordings.

Ummmm....hasn't this already been done more than once??????

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The name "Signature Sinatra" is so bland. Sounds like a line of organic frozen foods in Kroger's.

...and if I read the word "iconic" one more time I think I will just explode!!!!!!

They shoulda named it "Caprise" or "Repitol"....

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  13. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Thanks for the thread Bob.

Bob F and Simon A like this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Maybe they could do some nice vinyl reissues?

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

So is this a good thing or a bad thing? Could be a good thing.

Bob F likes this.
  16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

A Complete Masters box set similar to the Elvis Presley box from 2010. Please. And thank you.

melstapler and rangerjohn like this.
  17. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Personally, my first concern is that they allow MoFi to finish the series they contracted for.

18. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I'm still a little fuzzy on how EMI was divvyed up between Warner and Universal.Because most EMI popular stuff like The Beatles,Paul McCartney,and The Beach Boys is on Universal now.Why would Warner let the Reprise stuff go?Was ther a behind the scenes sale of the catalog?

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

None of our biz, really.

20. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Very exciting news! Better start saving more cash, gonna have some future purchases to make.

21. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

After I read the OP, I threw up a little.

DmitriKaramazov, hodgo and rangerjohn like this.
  22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

We can combine Capitol and Reprise and call the label "Caprice."

23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

How many sets of the Sinatra Capitol and Reprise catalogues do I need?

I'd be happy if Mofi finished a complete set of Capitol and Reprise vinyl and SACD re-releases. I'd rather concentrate my purchases on that.

caracallac and coffeecupman like this.
  24. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Can we assume that the family still owns most of the Reprise masters, except for those Barbara owns, and still leases to FSE and Universal?

And since the last Concord reissue of "Concert Sinatra" was a dud, artistically and it seems saleswise, I guess that series is done? We haven't had a reissue since that one.

But I see a "Nothing but the Greatest of the Best of the Best" coming in 2014.

Ideally? A sequel to the Vegas and New York box sets documenting the 1962 world tour. Those were some astounding dates.

kennyluc1 and bozburn like this.
  25. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I won't be surprised if this cancels the rest of the mfsl releases that we were waiting for so long...

I'll just never get a decent Wee Hours on cd.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.