Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Anyone up for some FS on Blu-ray Audio?

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Could be a real good thing if a certain mastering engineer was hired to do the job right once and for all.....

rxcory likes this.
  3. wave

wave Forum Resident

4. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but as I recall, the 2 comps - Nothing But The Best and Best Of The Best - were not well-received here as far as sound quality was concerned. (I did not buy these.) And there were some issues with the Concord reissues as well, right? In fact, the only "recent" releases that have gotten consistently high marks here are the MoFi's. That doesn't bode well for a major label being able to do these recordings justice.

5. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I hate to say it but I think this is probably going to be the case. Such a shame.

6. Steve, did you see Jon Stewart last (Tuesday) night, by any chance?

7. And, hopefully, expand it to include (at least some of) the Reprise albums…

8. Why do you assume that? The deal with MoFi was already signed; Universal can't just go back and cancel the rest of it because they feel like it.

MMM likes this.
  9. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I think he would have been OK with it,as his last projects were with Capitol and he wanted to keep peace with all of the family.Basically,FSE's job is to do the dirty work of maxing profits while trying to keep some semblance of dignity(so no spaghetti sauce,OK?And I'm never opening up that wine bottle.And don't even think of a Snuggie with Frank's paintings printed all over).
    I had forgotten that Warner is the partner with the kids,so basically that's Capitol & Warner sleeping in Universal's bed.There is no evidence that this is a bad thing.A Valentine comp for 2014 is probably just a trial baloon.2015 could be a very good year.

10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I did.One for the stamp(and I purchased a sheet from the post office that week),and the other for the Seattle concert,'cause I figured the Artanis gold version from our host was out of my price range.But a few weeks ago,I got to trade the BB box for the Artanis version and I'm a happy camper.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Jose Jones likes this.
  12. Chris C

You better know it, my friend!!!

13. Chris C

14. Chris C

That one was soooooooooooo bad, it was painful to listen to and truly terrible that Frank Jr. had hyped it up that it would turn out so great! Completely embarrassing on his part, in my opinion, as it proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, how misguided his father's catalog is in his hands!

MarkusGermany likes this.
  15. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Capitol being owned by Universal still is just so, so wrong to me. Can't shake it....

zebop, MLutthans and Batears52 like this.
  16. Chris C

The Capitol "tower" NOT being owned by Capitol (or Universal, for that matter), is just so wrong to me!

17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

It would be nice to see some of the "unreleased" live shows that circulate officially released but I guess the family does not have the rights to these?

18. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

You are probably right. The MoFi releases are just taking so long - but hey, we're still waiting for CTA & Chicago II also, so maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic. It seems like MoFi has been the only label to do his catalog justice in recent years - at least from a sound quality standpoint.

rxcory likes this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Great. Even more compilations of the same material.

20. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Johnny Mercer is rolling in his grave, at what Capitol has become.

marklungo, billygtexas and Grampire like this.
  21. Chris C

Wonder how he felt when The Beatles and The Beach Boys came along? Naturally by then, he was out of their picture and he might have been happy for their success, but all the same, it makes you wonder?

22. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

It certainly does.

23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I hope the two of you are wrong.

Based on the sales of Sinatra material in recent years, I believe that a speciality-boutique label like Mofi would be the best way to release and market individual Sinatra albums, with a major label marketing compilations.

24. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The music business has had it's share of mergers as any other business. The argument is that you either get bigger or die. However consumers have less and less CHOICES. With respect to music and Sinatra in particular once you could expect 4 different releases from 4 different labels. Now we are down to 2. With respect to other artists many get pushed further down the totem pole.

marklungo likes this.
  25. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

I can hardly wait for Bob Norberg to get his hands on that Reprise catalog... ;)

:biglaugh:

howlinrock and MMM like this.