SH Spotlight Adventures in Mastering: First album by AMERICA on SACD for Audio Fidelity:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

As did I. Not being a big folk fan, I can't say I'm loving it, but I like it more than I thought I would. I especially like the first three tracks with Riverside being my favorite so far. Sounds great on my Oppo player. Listening to the CD layer at work on headphones now, and it sounds very nice there as well.

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Busted! They really are bad, well some of them. :whistle:

3. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I think their lyrics are pretty creative at times. Sure they had a few clunkers that were just bad placements of words, but they didn't play it safe, they let it rip, which makes them better lyricists than about 75% of the songwriters out there.

erniebert likes this.
  4. King!

King! Senior Member

Finally got this from Amazon, today and thought I'd add to the conversation.

On any given day, next to the Beatles, I'd say America was my favorite group. I know their output pretty well. I've seen them many times in concert, though never with Dan. The thought of Steve remastering this album (or any America album) has been a dream. Well, my dream has come true! The cd version was ok, but lacked some warmth. The few vinyl versions I have heard were good, but the music carried the sound through.

Today, I listened to this album for the first time! Riverside was good, but when Sandman played, damn! That's where I heard the difference. The guitars were left full of the tone intended by the group, and I'm thankful for that.

Finally, some bottom end to these great songs. The sound became better and better as I turned up the volume. This is what I expect in an "audiophile" pressing. I dare say, that this may be one of the top mastering jobs I have heard from Steve. That says plenty. He managed to bring the sound of the album as intended, to the ear of the listener 40 years later.

I can't thank Audio Fidelity and Steve enough for the work they do, and for their efforts on this title. You have made this listener very happy. Thank you.

ultron9, bluemooze, vonwegen and 3 others like this.
  5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Great post!

King! likes this.
  6. tommytinkroom

tommytinkroom New Member

Preordered on Sept 20th from cd universe,still waiting for it.
    It's driving me mental!

7. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Received mine, initial listen finds this title very pleasant. The acoustic guitars have a wonderful crisp ring about them. Nice open sound stage.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, this is was I heard, very pleasant. Vocals came through with very nice sound, as well. Keep bringing the SACDs Steve.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think that this being an SACD, gives it an edge over Steve's CD masterings.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I finally got some time this morning to give this SACD a good listen. Damn, this is one excellent disc (SACD layer). It truly is reference quality. The sound is immersive. The vocals are clear, like they were just recorded, the acoustic guitars are lively, and there is great bass. And this is on my lesser system -- Energy e:XL 25 speakers, NAD C 350 integrated amp, Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player. It is a rare disc that makes me question whether it is testing the limits of this system. As much as I am hearing, there is so much (good) sound, I wonder if I am missing anything.

A truly great disc. Steve, well done. Very well done.

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You are. You are missing listening to it in your better system. Hop to it. ;)

ultron9 likes this.
  12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Well, yeah. I'll do that later. It's rare that I find a disc so engaging on the second system that I question it.

Metralla likes this.
  13. GeddyLeeFan

GeddyLeeFan Active Member

Wow, talk about reference quality. Got the SACD a few days ago and it sounds amazing. The band was playing in my living room. Yes, I WAS THERE! Too bad Amy Grant, but your Home for Christmas CD is no longer my go-to CD when I want to impress people. :D

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Finally got to spin it for my son, who at 30, has loved this album his entire life, because of my 41 years with it, and his jaw dropped, and stayed that way too !!!

This may be your Masterpiece Steve. :agree:

ultron9 likes this.
  15. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I don't have an SACD player but the CD layer sounds fantastic. A great album.

16. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Based on this review, I am immediately ordering it. Thank you. :D

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Anyone know why this CD is in such short supply? Amazon is the only seller that seems to have copies, with third party sellers already inflating the price to almost $50. And importcds has been showing "ships in 5-10 days" for weeks.

18. Myke

I honestly think the superior quality, and the word of mouth of this, spread like wildfire.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It appears that Audio Fidelity has it in stock for $24.99. importcds is now showing it as "Item Currently Unavailable".

Bill

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, I just find it strange that it isn't getting out to to the third party sellers on amazon and at importcds.

21. Myke

It already got out, and sold out.

22. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Amazon Canada has four left in stock as of this writing.

23. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Finally my disc reached me in Sweden...

I really like the mastering and sound quality on this SACD - perfect! One question though: is it only me that think this disc has a pretty high output level? For instance I had to turn the volume down quite a bit when changing from the recent Poco SACD to this one.

ultron9 likes this.
  24. pepar

pepar New Member

This, I think, is my first post. I've been lurking ... oooooOOOooo. I am a visitor from AVS "latest hi-res purchases" thread ...

You post, that I have quoted, is inspiring.

Jeff

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  25. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I've been shut out of both this and Rush-Hemispheres and I pre-ordered both. Are they only making like a couple of thousand of these SACD's?