Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You can do a search. It was probably in CC 49 or 50.

I have to disagree about the 6th symphony playing itself although I suppose it's possible to play it inoffensively fairly easily. Playing it well is quite another matter. There have been more outstanding performances of most other Sibelius' symphonies than the 6th IMO except maybe for the 1st and 3rd. My preferences are Rozhdestvensky, Maazel and Karajan in analogue and Vanskaa in digital FWIW.

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments about Symphony 6 (that goes also for Fafner88's comments). The Six is among the least played symphonies of Sibelius which is something that never made sense to me. I like its melancholy and lyricism and I find it a more "approachable" work than the Four.

I edited my post to add that I agree also that the Vanska/Lahti recording is supreme!

3. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Yes, 'plays itself' doesn't mean it's easy to play it well, only that it takes special efforts to ruin it. I think there are fewer good recordings of the 4th for that reason, even though the 4th is probably more frequently recorded.

Do you know Segerstam with the Helsinki PO? It is a very deliberate version similar to Rozhdestvensky, you might like it. For some time I believed it's the definitive recording of the piece.

Which of the Karajan versions you meant? The stereo recordings are wonderful, especially EMI (which is actually digital), but there's also a wonderful recording in mono with the Philharmonia, which is also one of the best sounding mono recordings I ever heard, so crisp and clear.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. Mr Bass

I don't know Segerstam's version but I haven't been a big fan of his conducting. Rozh does a better job with the first two movements. They are magical although the Russian orchestral playing is a bit rough. As for Karajan, the mono EMI and DG stereo are quite similar in their cool neoclassical approach and I agree that sonically the mono might actually sound slightly better. I always disliked the sonics on the EMI digital version that HvK did to the point I found it unlistenable. Early digital recording at its worst IMO. Maazel had the best sonics at least on the LPs.

5. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I'm not sure about Maazel, he's a bit too brisk and superficial to my taste, but it's worth to hear the VPO in this repertoire.

Just found this earlier recording of Segerstam's with the Danish national O which is pretty similar to the remake. Simply stunning.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

From the analogue era my favorite recording of the Six is by Anthony Collins and the LSO on Decca.

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Awesome! :wave:

A number of my CD jackets had black marks on the covers. I think it would be wise to check every CD upon arrival, to make sure they are all there. An amazon review states:

Also, here's a great blog entry on Rubinstein: http://hankdrake.blogspot.com/2011/05/rubinstein-revisited.html

5-String likes this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

George P likes this.
  9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

709.JPG
    i already had the Variations in the Monteux 'Original Masters' box, but for 75 cents the Marches, conducted by Sir Arthur Bliss,
    were a nice pick-up. both are with the LSO & were originally issued on RCA in the U.S. & Britain. typical good Decca sound.

11. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the above CD.

12. John S

John S Forum Resident

George, how's the sound on those Rubinstein '61 Carnegie Hall concerts?

13. George P

You meant the 3 discs new to this set? I plan to save them for last.

I've read that they are not great sounding, though certainly listenable. A problem with the tapes.

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

I just wondered why they weren't released until now.

15. George P

Could be any number of reasons:

1. The pianist didn't approve of their release. Out of 10 full concerts, he only approved 40 minutes of performance for release, saying that he didn't want to issue performances with obvious mistakes.

2. The master tapes were lost.

3. The only surviving tapes (made by his son) were of sub-par quality.

4. They wanted to save something special for a later release.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

If anyone ever decides to download a release instead of buying the physical media, I would strongly recommend to take a look at eclassical.com owned by BIS.
    They have much better prices than other sites, they have a daily deal at 50% discount, you always have access to your downloads at their server and they give you a refund if you don't like the music (no questions asked). I have not asked for a refund so I don't know how this works, but I have downloaded these two releases so far and I have been very happy with their service:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Schubert which is amazing and I will comment more on it at a different post I got for $9.80 and the Nielsen for $4.70. So, for someone who wants to have the music and doesn't care to collect the actual disc that's a pretty good deal. Of course, most of us here are collectors but still I wanted to pass the word around.

john greenwood, Mr Bass and George P like this.
  17. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

Prokofiev: Symphony 6. Rozhdestvensky. Melodiya pink label.

Another Symphony 6, radically different from the Sibelius.

prok6rozh.JPG

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  18. Mr Bass

We all hear things at least somewhat differently. I agree Maazel is more idiosyncratic and upbeat in his approach. Perhaps I'm overly influenced by the great sonics but I also appreciate his rather rustic manner to the score which is a unique approach. That rusticity saves it from superficiality IMO. I don't know what your level of musical knowledge is but the best analysis of the Sibelius Sym 6 is in a book by Lionel Pike titled Beethoven, Sibelius and the Profound Logic. It is readable but you need at least a course of basic harmony theory to follow all of it.

19. A thrift store stunner! It's making the hair raise on my back! 49 cents! The deal of the century :D
    017.JPG
    Edit SIDE 1 IS GREAT! Side 2 not so great

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  20. John S

John S Forum Resident

Thank you so much for posting this very moving music. You do not need a course in basic harmony theory to appreciate this.

21. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

thx for the info, looks interesting... and of course i'd be very curious to hear about the early schubert symphonies done in the HIP style...

22. Mr Bass

Of course not or music would never have come about in the first place. I said "analysis" and it was in response to the OP's comment expressing interest in discussions of the work. Sibelius made use of certain unusual technical features in creating the symphony which may play a role in its special appeal to many listeners. In other words, the melodies and harmonies don't follow the conventional symphonic pattern in some important ways. You can enjoy the work without knowing anything about that I acknowledge.

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

Are the downloads lossless?

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

good performances let down by less-than good sound. recorded 3/90, Symphony Hall. but it only cost me a quarter. 001.JPG

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Re Haitink/BSO Brahms 2
    I love this cycle. What do you find less-than-satisfactory about the sound?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.