Telarc Nutcracker?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevintomb, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have seen a few variations of this on Ebay, one a newer recording with one CD, and the other an older one with either excerpts and one CD or the entire ballet and 2 CDs/

Anyone own this, or can vouch for the performance of either or sound quality.

I passed up the 2 CD version at a flea marker recently and could kick myself, as it was only $2.00~!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have the old TELARC Nutcracker Suite with Sleeping Beauty Suite. One of my favorite, scratch that, my FAVORITE Nutcracker Suite.

kevintomb likes this.
  3. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

you mean sound quality wise?

4. It's now available on SACD, transferred from the original 50k-sampled Soundstream Digital master...one of MY favorites from the old Jack Renner days of the 80's...

5. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I have tried to collect as many Nutcrackers as I can - Act 1 complete is one of my favorite things in music. I have always loved the Dutoit/Montreal version, but if you can find it used, try to get the Berlin Philharmonic/Semyon Bychkov version. I think the combination of this conductor's tempos and phrasing married to great sound quality makes it my favorite, at least of modern digital era versions.
    For a suite disc, the late 70's analog version of Rostropovich/Berlin is pretty great.......interestingly also with BPO.
    I am not a fan of the Gergiev one disc complete version.....I thought tempos were rushed to squeeze the ballet onto 1 disc for commercial considerations - but then I saw the same forces in performance live and it was the same. Too fast!

6. Steve Hoffman

Does it sound better than the old CD? Anyone hear this? Isn't Telarc out of business?

7. Are you refering to the 2 Lp/2CD Nutcracker Soundtrack on Telarc? Because if you are, that is the one to get. I have both the CD and the Vinyl and they sound great!

kevintomb likes this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Of all of the "Nutcracker's", this one is the best that I've heard.

Telarc CD-80068 (Made in Japan, 1991) w/Lorin Maazel & The Cleveland Orchestra

Nutcracker.jpg

9. Chris C

I believe that Concord Records bought Telarc, which was in Cleveland and I know that they aren't here anymore, but I'm not sure if Concord is still releasing any new or old titles anymore?

10. Chris C

Late edit: Well, looks like I might be wrong, as they are still in Cleveland, although they aren't making the noise that they used to?

According to wiki:

In late 2005 both Telarc and Heads Up were bought by Concord Records. Today both labels operate as semi-autonomous units on theConcord Music Group.

11. Here's a photo of the 2 CD soundtrack version:

[​IMG]

kevinsinnott likes this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I favor Dorati's recording with the Concertgebouw for Philips, Good sound, great playing. The Telarc complete Nutcracker is a very good version as well.

[​IMG]

kevintomb likes this.
  13. kevintomb

I havent seen this one ever. I will check it out!

14. kevintomb

15. kevintomb

I think I am. It is available in either a 1 disc highlights OR a 2 disc complete.

But The one I posted above I saw also. I guess a newer version.

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I have the Japan CSR pressing of CD-80068. I have most of the first/early pressing Telarc titles. PM if you want to borrow any.

kevintomb likes this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I love many a different performance of the Nutcracker, but Dorati's Mercury Living Presence Stereo set is one I hold near and dear.

Six String likes this.
  18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Just to drive you crazy... disagree that the Cleveland is a great performance. If you like it then get it but there are others that are much better IMO. Szell's legacy just does not fit this music IMO.

19. Steve Hoffman

That's the one. I play it all the time. I got Romeo & Juliet mixed up with Sleeping Beauty, sorry.

I have about 15 different Nutcracker Suites on vinyl and CD and this is the one that keep coming back to. Can't beat it for pacing, tempo, orchestra balance, etc.

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Get this before the Telarc Cleveland.

Robin L likes this.
  21. The label and their catalog was bought out by Concord, which is now owned by UME...they're still selling hybrid SACD's and I was able to get some of their older Soundstream-recorded titles via Amazon, Steve. As for sound quality, I definitely hear an improvement in terms of resolution since no sampling rate conversion is taking place in the mastering process anymore.:thumbsup:

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  22. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I've got several as well (does anyone really have them all???) but my current favorite is Ansermet on Decca. I have the two CD set. I admit I have not heard the Bychov on Philips, but I have everything else mentioned so far. Telarc's Maazel is the suite, very good, but I like the complete Nutcracker.

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The SACD is tremendous!

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Appropos nothing at all, Edison actually released a somewhat abridged version of the standard suite on two diamond discs, one of the very few "sets" to appear in that format.

I'm rather fond of Rodzinski's account from old Westminster records, reissued by MCA in its "double decker" budget series in the early '80s--dubious sound quality and all.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  25. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Rodzinski's version sounds good. The engineer did some eccentric balances, possibly due to Rodzinski's wishes. But, Rodzinski sure has a way of making it sound energized and fresh. I also have the Westminster double decker. The sound is way better than the ugly cover would indicate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.