Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Oh how I wish this guy would do just one more tour. Clearly he still has it. Ivan Moravec

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Now I am playing this SACD which I got recently on sale from acoustic sounds. Sounds nice.

[​IMG]

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

No problem, and yes, welcome! :wave:

John A likes this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

But that LP set with Henryk Szeryng's autograph was a different story ...

5. coopmv

In my music room, now playing CD9 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

I am still working on getting my first surround system set up so I can listen to the surround sound. I have only listened to the stereo layers of most of my 400 SACD titles.

7. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

From the Phoenix label, a 2CD set of Schubert's Symphonies 5,6,7,8 conducted by Sandor Vegh with the Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg. It was a co-production with ORF radio, but Phoenix gives no clue when it was recorded. These are likable performances, but I don't think they will end up being number 1 with me.

VeghSchubert.jpg

8. coopmv

I buy from the UK etailers MDT and Presto Classical quite often and have never been hit with any import duty. I think that threshold may be $400 in the US.

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My system does not have surround capabilities either, so I only listen to the stereo. Kalman Rubinson from Stereophile is a major advocate of the surround for classical music and this makes me wondering what I am missing.
    Unfortunately, I I ever decide to go for the surround sound I will need to totally rebuild my system and this is not practical for me at the moment.

10. coopmv

I am looking to build the surround system the analog way, i.e. using only RCA connections and forego all digital connections such as HDMI. Unfortunately, few manufacturers still make analog surround preamps. If you are lucky enough, you may be able to find some NOS. Otherwise, you have to settle for used equipment. The advantage of the analog surround preamp is the digital noise will not pollute the overall sound. The analog surround preamp is also much less complicated connection wise.

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

12. John S

John S Forum Resident

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

My "wow!" is the thought of Oskar Fried making an acoustic recording of the work a dozen years earlier. Given the limits of the technology, maybe a dozen musicians could crowd around a recording horn. The most familiar photograph of an acoustic recording session is this one:

[​IMG]

Note the Stroh violin front and center; you can the bells of others farther back in the orchestra.

14. coopmv

Now playing CD8 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

15. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I disagree on both points. First, if the signal is already digital (as are all multichannel sources) keeping it digital through the preamp/processor to the DACs at the output will not add any noise. Second, while analog might seem a conceptually less complex connection, in practice, it is quite burdensome. I just reinstalled my ARC MP1 and that required :
    6 XLRs for the output
    6 RCAs for the input from the Oppo BDP-105
    6 RCAs for the input from the exaSound multichannel DAC
    6 XLRs for the input from the 3 Mytek DACs (or the Meridian 861 processor)
    Whew!
    HDMI does make some things easier.

bluemooze, Robin L and John S like this.
  16. coopmv

Nice historical photo of a recording session ... :righton:

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

What a great set. Not a dud in the lot.

18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this from the big box. I really like this one.

19. Rose River Bear

Pretty much a desert island disc for those works IMO.

20. coopmv

I made the comments simply based on what I see on the back panel of these surround processors. There are way too many input/ouput terminals than I care to look at. Sure, if the sources are 100% digital, the HDMI connections are perfect but that does not work for me since I still listen to open-reels and cassettes.

21. coopmv

I am not through with the box yet but you are probably correct. For some reasons, her earlier set from the 80's has gotten better reviews on Amazon. I think I may pick that set up as well, though I will have 5 or 6 duplicates since I bought them as singles years ago ...

[​IMG]

22. Rose River Bear

I was not aware of the set from the 80s. I may have to check it out. Thanks.

23. coopmv

Marie-Claire Alain was a class act as an organist. I think I kind of prefer her playing over Helmut Walcha, though they are very close IMO.

24. Rose River Bear

She blows just about everyone else out of the water IMO when it comes to Bach Organ works.

25. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning this great disc. Anyone else have this one?

51TrF5cx87L___SY98_CR0,0,98,98_.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.