Poll: Bruce Springsteen or Neil Young

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

lol we like to look at Bruce haaaaaaaa and listen to him:agree:
    But we know Neil is the man with the lyrics as well... haha

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Probably Neil.

3. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Maybe have to do with other things beyond music...

Carserguev likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no poll...No equal...Neil by a trillion light years...

Jack likes this.
  5. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

I voted for Neil but Bruce is a legend also... a working class hero.

6. I suppose but I can get past someone's politics if I enjoy their music or even their personality (Van Morrison I'm looking at you). I guess some folks can't (I'm assuming its politics vs. hype although that could play a part as well--Neil's politics aren't quite that different than Springsteen's).

Carserguev likes this.
  7. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Neil for me. The run of his first 8 or so solo albums is stellar, plus various other good ones since then. For Springsteen, his first 2 albums have their charms and are the only ones I have, but that's where it ends for me.

8. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Neal keeps it real. Always has, still does to this day.

Bruce is a poser. Sure he has done some great music (I love Darkness On The Edge of Town) but he is just too image conscious. His political posturing appears to be carefully cultivated to appeal to a certain audience. But when Neil says "Let's Impeach The President' you know he speaks from the heart, just like he was when he sang "Ohio".

Oh and I have everything that Neil Young has released, I love his music (#2 in my pantheon).

Jack likes this.
  9. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Agree but Neil is Canadian.
    No one describes America like Bruce (seventies and early eighties). Nebraska and The River are compendiums of ordinary life, a confession and apology.

Carserguev and wayneklein like this.
  10. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Neil by a long shot for me.

11. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Neil gets my vote over anybody else.

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I wanted to vote "neither" but voted for Young since I had lots of his music 40 years ago. Springsteen bored me after one LP.

Jack likes this.
  13. ..and Neil doesn't have a carefully cultivated image? Every artist has some sort of image which makes the, memorable if they are successful. I would argue that both do--just different types a d while Springsteen may be more conscious of his, that does t detract for me from the music he created anymore than the carefully cultivated image of The Beatles, Stones.

Springsteen may manipulate that image more but that doesn't make the music any less valuable nor cheapen it because what he presents in the music is sincere and honest just like Neil.

Just because Springsteen's image is cultivated doesn't mean that his political beliefs are any less sincere.

It's a brand that both artists use well.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  14. jason29307

jason29307 Forum Resident

If I had to choose, I would pick the Boss...

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Do you mean politics? If so, I think it's kinda odd for people to dislike Bruce for his political opinions - and willingness to espouse those beliefs - but NOT feel the same way about Neil. Last time I looked, Bruce never recorded a song called "Let's Impeach the President"...

16. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I thought Canada had a Prime Minister.... Anyway, I voted Bruce. Huge edge to him for his live performance. That's rock 'n' roll. Neither of their recent recordings have dazzled me and in their prime I think it's a toss-up.

17. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Neil Young is inconsistent. Bruce is much more consistent with only a few dudes, Ghost of Tom Joad being a huge one. Bruce's first 8 albums Greetings to Tunnel are unmatched but none other than the Beatles as far as a string of great albums.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They do, but apparently Neil really hated our 43rd president! :D

Where does Neil live most of the time? Not sure if he's primarily Canadian or if he spends more time in the US...

19. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Neil probably has 8 or 9 records I like better than my favorite Bruce record, Darkness.

20. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

Anyone who keeps on rockin' even in an unfree world would be my choice. BRUUUUUUCE!

21. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Neil lives in Calif and sometimes Hawaii.

22. Sherry Darling

Sherry Darling Lost in a lost world.

I love his voice

Carserguev and Marc 74 like this.
  23. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Neil by far

24. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Neil spends most of his down time at his Broken Arrow Ranch in La Honda, CA, in the mountains west of San Jose.

25. As I recall Northern California near San Jose. One of my college roommates was such an obsessed fan that he tried to trespass on Neil's property and was met by an angry Neil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.