Poll: Bruce Springsteen or Neil Young

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, at least he got to meet him! :D

2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Yikes! He's very lucky that's all that happened to him.

3. Yeah... Surprisingly he recognized he had crossed a boundary and was still a fan afterwards. Evidently Neil was (understandably) very upset.

4. marke

marke Forum Resident Thread Starter

With the money from his royalties and music industry success with CSN&Y, Young bought his ranch for $350,000 in 1970 at the age of 24. He wrote the song “Old Man” about it:

About that time when I wrote (Heart of Gold), and I was touring, I had also — just, you know, being a rich hippie for the first time — I had purchased a ranch, and I still live there today. And there was a couple living on it that were the caretakers, an old gentleman named Louis Avila and his wife Clara. And there was this old blue Jeep there, and Louis took me for a ride in this blue Jeep. He gets me up there on the top side of the place, and there’s this lake up there that fed all the pastures, and he says, “Well, tell me, how does a young man like yourself have enough money to buy a place like this?” And I said, “Well, just lucky, Louie, just real lucky.” And he said, “Well, that’s the darndest thing I ever heard.” And I wrote this song for him.

5. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Well, Bruce is a great artist and a great guy too. Bruce has this attitude of crowd pleaser. Neil has probably more artistry than Bruce. Neil seems less conditionated by the fame and money than Bruce. Neil, at a certain point of his career, chose the ditch. I hardly could think now about a concert of Harvest or After Gold Rush songs. Bruce plays for the stadium masses and can play the entire Darkness, BITUSA albums for the fans. Neil plays for himself according to his actual vision. Bruce plays 150 songs, Neil his preferred 15 for that tour.
    I think that recording contracts of 70,000,000 dollars or playing in the stadiums have a price on your artistic freedom. Neil "plays" in a smaller scale.
    Finally, Bruce wants to be great. I don't know, but he has 15 people playing with him. Neil plays solo or with 3-4 people. Often the Boss productions are overblown. Bruce "butchered" his old Darkness outtakes with new overdubs for his Promise album, Neil just edited a couple of songs for his Archives.
    Both great artists, but I love more Neil. It's challenging to be a Neil fan.

6. endofanera

endofanera Forum Resident

Neil all the way for me. No contest.

7. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Neil's style is more in the activist style, Bruce is a storyteller.
    He speaks about life, birth, marriage, family, migration, death, having a car, unemployment, ordinary things, that are our existence.
    Bruce does not fight the system (not really) he describes it for us... then we feel what he feels.
    Even "Born In The USA" (the album) is misleading, there is much introspection and condemnation between the lines.

Carserguev and Sherry Darling like this.
  8. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

A Woddy Guthrie's original, whenever I hear the Springsteen's version I feel that this Land is my land too... an explosion of feelings.
    BTW Sweet Juliet nice avatar, love it. ;)

Carserguev and Sherry Darling like this.
  9. Sherry Darling

Sherry Darling Lost in a lost world.

Thank you:oops:
    Its just me nothing fancy

10. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

With the last statement, I disagree.

11. blueEyedSoul

blueEyedSoul Active Member

Bruce all the way for me. Neil is one of those artists whose talent I respect greatly, but whose voice doesn't really do it for me.

12. Neil and Dylan both have irritating voices but Neil is a far better song writer.

13. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Musically Neil may have a slight edge, but he can't touch Dylan as fas as lyrics and storytelling, he could've written every Neil Young song in his sleep. Neil could only dream of writing ''Like A Rolling Stone'' ''Desolation Row and countless other Dylan tunes, nobody could, that's just a fact.

Carserguev likes this.
  14. No it's not a fact. It's just your opinion. I can't imagine why Neil would ever dream of writing ''Like A Rolling Stone'' when he could do so much better in his sleep.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  15. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

I know plenty of people who can't stand Neil's voice or guitar playing. As a Neil fan, I can at least understand how his music can be an acquired taste (much like Dylan).

starduster likes this.
  16. jricc

jricc Senior Member

For me, Bruce hands down.
    Not to take anything away from Neil Young, who is a giant.

17. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

They are both great singer-songwriters.
    In 65 Dylan created the Folk-Rock when he used electric instruments.
    Many of his songs became anthems for the US civil rights and anti-war movements.
    You are being unfair with Zimmerman. You may not like him but he is a giant like Neil.

18. I don't think I'm being unfair. Zimmerman is a singer-songwriter icon because a lot of people like him. The people who like him have made him a giant. He is certainly a major figure and an important influence in music. This is OK with me but I don't like anything about him and I still would maintain that Neil is a far better songwriter.

19. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Pretty evenly matched for me. Had to go with "Can't decide".

20. beep

beep Senior Member

I can't decide. I like Neil as a performer, especially his long hypnotic jams, but I like Bruce's songs better. I really like cover albums of Bruce's songs, seeing them interpreted by different and diverse artists, but Neil's songs belong to him. I think Bruce is a way better song writer although I enjoy him as a performer too. Apples and oranges to me, I like both.

21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I prefer Neil Young but I loves me some BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE! too.

22. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I prefer Neil Young.

23. piepants

piepants Forum Resident

Neil Young, I've never really been a big Springsteen fan.

24. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

25. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

''I'll never be Bob Dylan.
    He's the master''

Neil Young

Apparently one of those people is Neil Young.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/n/neil_young.html

Carserguev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.