Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The same here, which is somewhat unusual since I do not like most classical works composed after the 19th century ... :righton:

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some Beethoven from the big Rubinstein box.

3. coopmv

Just ordered a Canon photo scanner from Amazon this morning and to my surprise, the sale tax showed up when I checked out. I checked with my wife and confirmed that as of 11/1, Amazon was supposed to start collecting sale tax for all states that have a sale tax. She saw that on the local tv station, which I missed since I do not watch tv much. I guess I am done with Amazon as far as future CD purchases are concerned. While BRO will also have to collect sale tax, it is still a tremendous bargain to buy from BRO. My future music purchases will be shifted to MDT and Presto Classical ...

Mr Bass likes this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, I read it too here:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/11/01/amazon-passes-tax-milestone/

5. George P

[​IMG]

Great cover, not so great Schumann interpretations from the big box.

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, my wife's insight into the food industry may be apropos here. She has observed that food companies are not in the business of making wholesome, nutritious food. They are in the business of making money. If people want to buy potato chips, the most attractive potato chips possible are what the industry will dish out.

So, it seems to me, is the music industry. The recording companies are not in the business of producing the best possible audio quality. They are in the business of making money. If people want sonically dubious recordings because they sound "right" on the second-or-less rate gear that most of us own (and certainly I make no claims that mine is any kind of ne plus ultra, although it's probably a good bit better than average--especially these days), then that's what the industry will dish out. If people want and are willing to pay for convenience and don't give a fig about sonic issues as long as they get their tunes, that's what the industry will dish out. We probably should be grateful that recordings over time have achieved as good a batting average as they have....

Now, pardon me. For some reason I feel this overwhelming urge to go eat some extremely salty potato chips. :drool:

Robin L, 5-String and Mr Bass like this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

One other possibility to avoid the ST although it can be tedious and scatter shot is to go to the Amazon Marketplace sellers and try to find multiple items from a given seller to save shipping. Those do not charge it.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

drh and John S like this.
  9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Slim is great,but this ain't bad either.

10. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Been getting acquainted with my new pooch Ziva....got behind on my readings here.
    Don't take long to get way behind here!! :(

John S likes this.
  11. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: Maybe my second favorite Glenn Gould recording:

[​IMG]

Robin L likes this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My first. Funny, there's very little humming on this one.

13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I was listening to the Berglund/COE Brahms set recently and find that although I like the interpretations for the most part, I think the Chamber Orchestra of Europe is just too small for some parts of the Brahms symphonies (however the first movement of the first symphony comes off rather well). At 50 members, the COE doesn't provide the heft I am used to. Some phrases just sounded dinky (small).

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Oh absolutely. I think how a pianist phrases and shapes the music with dynamics and the pedaling all give a stylistic distinctiveness to each musician and so much so that many folks associate it with piano tone but it really isn't literally piano tone. Some pianists do have a distinctive piano tone for particular reasons having to do with personal choice of piano and in some cases tweeks to the piano. But ultimately that is still the piano itself that has the tone.

What I also have found interesting is how much a given piano and hall affect an artist's performance.

Robin L likes this.
  15. coopmv

Do you mean by going directly to the Amazon MarketPlace seller like ImportCD's, which also has its own website? I have never bought more than one item at a time through the Amazon MarketPlace seller at the Amazon website. I presume that shipping rate of $3.99 is per item and that will add up quickly on multiple items.

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Does Ziva prefer Baroque or Romantic?

17. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I have been working my way through this box set, bought a used copy which, thank goodness, turned out to be in pretty good shape !
    [​IMG]

18. George P

^
    That's a great set, Uncle Meat! Mastered by the great Ward Marston.

RiRiIII likes this.
  19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've never seen this recording before. Another one, I guess, to look for.

Robin L likes this.
  20. George P

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's good to know, thanks for the information George :righton:

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

23. George P

24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

George

Have you checked his 1965 recording of D 960, the one that was not issued in his lifetime and recorded in his favorite sudio in Rome?

Alex

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.